U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 05:06 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,595,798 times

Advertisements

Norfolk and Virgna Beach may have their own identity, but neither overshadows each other.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 10:30 PM

4,667 posts, read 7,378,466 times
I would say it is a medium sized metro. A major metro area that lacks a truly major city. Nothing against Norfolk or Virginia Beach but neither of those cities IMO is a real dominant city. I would say Richmond is the most dominant city in VA, with NOVA and Hampton Roads being the major metro areas of VA. But that is my opinion.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:16 PM

267 posts, read 1,173,604 times
mid-sized to perhaps "large ( but not major ) metro.

A "small Virginia metro" would be places like Harrisonburg/Rockingham County or Winchester/Frederick County...both of which are barely above 100,000 in population but none-the-less they are still considered "metro areas".

Old 02-06-2010, 07:20 AM

5 posts, read 10,275 times
A mid-sized metro, at best. With 1.7 million people and a SLOW growth rate (slower than Cincinnati), it is only slightly larger than Providence, Rhode Island and ranks as the #36th most populated metro area. Hardly unique.

The "Hampton Roads" might be the most anonymous and indistinct conurbation in America - sort of a slice of New Jersey on the Chesapeake. As much as it might bug you, the only thing that comes to mind when people outside of Virginia think of the area is, well, aircraft carriers, cheap beachside motels, and obesity.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:01 PM

3,770 posts, read 3,139,282 times
I think it's odd that Hampton Roads has no clear-cut dominant city. Some people say it's Norfolk because it was traditionally the main business center of the region, while others say it's Virginia Beach because it has a higher population.
(BTW, another large metro area with this same sort of situation is the Inland Empire of Southern California.)
Another strange thing about Hampton Roads: The region consists of nine independent cities, but only a specific seven of them are part of the so-called seven cities. Some people want to accept an 8th city and others don't. What's up with this? Can't Williamsburg join the club?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:40 AM

492 posts, read 767,320 times
After returning from a weeks vacation down in Atlanta, I regret to say that the Hampton Roads Metro is nothing more than a SMALL TOWN!!!

I was in awe at the size of Atlanta. It has one of the most beautiful skylines. The interstates were wide, SMOOTH (no potholes), and actually scenic and pretty. The architecture of the buildings were mind blowing. The assortment of condos, apartments, townhouses, and homes were wonderful. I even checked out some of the rents and they werent bad at all. The cars I saw were mostly all late model. I even saw porsches, rolls royces, and other luxury vehicles around the Buckhead area that you would never see riding around here in Hampton Roads. They even have a decent rail system down there that goes to the not so good areas, as well as the ritsy areas. The shopping was top notch. The city overall was just beautiful and energizing. Only complaint I can think of are the bums downtown, and that there are no beaches. Oh and the drinking water was disgusting. YUCK!

My trip to Atlanta made me realize that our area has a loooooong way to go.... Home is home, but it was to the point where I actually started getting depressed thinking about returning home.. LOL. Ive been to NYC, DC, Philly, etc. but I never really compared Hampton Roads to those other cities for some reason and they in return never gave me that missing out feeling. I guess i feel Atlanta is more comparable with it being a southern city/metro.

I love home, but I dont feel like were as major as I once thought. I think we come off as city-ish because all the water around the area causes things to be more condensed because there is a limited amount of land to build on. But we are no more than a bunch of crammed together towns of working class people.

Its still home though.... But I may consider leaving for ATL in a few years...

Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 AM

8,190 posts, read 11,031,158 times
Of course Hampton Roads is smaller than Atlanta, but it's far from being a small town. It's a legitimate midsized, mid-major metropolitan area.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:09 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,084,221 times
I still say that Hampton Roads is a mid-size metro. Not small, not big.

I will also note how interesting poster's perspectives regarding how "big city" Atlanta is depends on where they're from.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:23 PM

883 posts, read 1,712,209 times
It's a major city area, just not as major or well known as others. It's still an important region for shipping, the navy, and ship building. While the government is the biggest employer, there are other industries despite popular opinion.

Before the recession took full affect, Norfolk and Va Beach almost seemed like they were competing against each other as to who should be the dominant city. They both took on ambitious building projects to build up their skylines. But now that has slowed. Hopefully things will pick up if the economy can ever get going again.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:31 PM

4,459 posts, read 7,810,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
After returning from a weeks vacation down in Atlanta, I regret to say that the Hampton Roads Metro is nothing more than a SMALL TOWN!!!

I was in awe at the size of Atlanta. It has one of the most beautiful skylines. The interstates were wide, SMOOTH (no potholes), and actually scenic and pretty. The architecture of the buildings were mind blowing. The assortment of condos, apartments, townhouses, and homes were wonderful. I even checked out some of the rents and they werent bad at all. The cars I saw were mostly all late model. I even saw porsches, rolls royces, and other luxury vehicles around the Buckhead area that you would never see riding around here in Hampton Roads. They even have a decent rail system down there that goes to the not so good areas, as well as the ritsy areas. The shopping was top notch. The city overall was just beautiful and energizing. Only complaint I can think of are the bums downtown, and that there are no beaches. Oh and the drinking water was disgusting. YUCK!

My trip to Atlanta made me realize that our area has a loooooong way to go.... Home is home, but it was to the point where I actually started getting depressed thinking about returning home.. LOL. Ive been to NYC, DC, Philly, etc. but I never really compared Hampton Roads to those other cities for some reason and they in return never gave me that missing out feeling. I guess i feel Atlanta is more comparable with it being a southern city/metro.

I love home, but I dont feel like were as major as I once thought. I think we come off as city-ish because all the water around the area causes things to be more condensed because there is a limited amount of land to build on. But we are no more than a bunch of crammed together towns of working class people.

Its still home though.... But I may consider leaving for ATL in a few years...

See that is what I have been saying there is nothing in Hampton Roads. Travelling is always good. So one can know whats outside of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area