U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 02:43 PM

1,583 posts, read 2,004,110 times

Advertisements

Hampton Roads to me is a mid size metro. I have family thats been in the area for 20+ yrs and its has a bigger, faster feel to it. Ive considered moving there, and I would it an upgrade from Birmingham in my opinion.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 02:56 PM

492 posts, read 753,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
See that is what I have been saying there is nothing in Hampton Roads. Travelling is always good. So one can know whats outside of the state.
See, you always have to go overboard,.....but I also realized that ATL is way better than NYC...

Old 08-17-2010, 01:03 PM

4,459 posts, read 7,701,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
See, you always have to go overboard,.....but I also realized that ATL is way better than NYC...
Ok I respect your opinion.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:13 AM

36 posts, read 48,479 times
i think were a growing metro for sure!

Old 10-12-2011, 07:42 PM

8,481 posts, read 10,474,077 times
I'm going old school on you 1978's style TIDEWATER is a mid sized Metro , I was stationed there in 1978 Coast Guard Base Yorktown VA....Mid Sized without Mid Size Amenities such as Major League Sports Teams and Major and or World Class Entertainment Venues...No (None) Iconic Tourist Monuments or Attractions.Hampton Roads is a slow growth Metro that has improved in leaps and bounds ..very like able , but it doesn't do good against other Mid Sized Metro Like Charlotte and Indianpolis and Kansas City.....

Old 10-12-2011, 08:46 PM

4,112 posts, read 3,367,131 times
Nearing major metro.

Also, I beginning to like Norfolk more and more. Hopefully the new light rail system does well.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:41 PM

2,169 posts, read 1,365,620 times
When I think "major" city or metro, I'm thinking of DC, Atlanta, and points larger. Hampton Roads is nowhere near being a major metro...

This isn't a small town or a small area either, though. It's two smaller metros that have grown together naturally over time to create a larger region...

As a metropolis it's most comparable to metros no. 31-40; Austin through Jacksonville. The big killer for the region is that it lacks a comparable anchor city on the caliber of those metros' anchor cities, besides Norfolk being comparable to Jacksonville and Providence. Every other anchor city is playing in an entirely different tier...

There is an interesting dynamic here in which the Southside is probably trending towards twin city status a few decades from now. Norfolk is historically the lead city of the region, and I would say it still is so today, by virtue of having the larger and more vibrant business districts, but this is getting close. On its own Virginia Beach has built a downtown where nothing but grass used to lie, one that is also growing and expanding, and while it is small it is interesting in its own right. Virginia Beach also has culture of its own and has pockets of urbanity, though it is largely suburban. It isnt as much of a "Norfolk suburb" as it maybe was 30 years ago. I'd still say it fits that description partially, but it is as much of a city as other cities that were built alike and function similarly. It wouldnt exist without Norfolk, but if something catastrophic happened to Norfolk, it would be able to hold its own as an anchor...

Both cities and the region would benefit from creating a more amicable and shared existence and marketing each other as two sides of the same coin...

Old 08-06-2017, 10:57 PM

926 posts, read 529,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Both cities and the region would benefit from creating a more amicable and shared existence and marketing each other as two sides of the same coin...
Strong bump.

And you probably won't see that "shared" existence anytime soon. The light rail catastrophe showed us that.

The "urban" culture of Norfolk just doesn't jive well with the "conservative, suburban sprawl" culture of Virginia Beach.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:44 AM

813 posts, read 579,335 times
Wherever I am in the metro it is kind of hard to fathom that there are 1.7+ million inhabitants within it's borders until I enter the various morphs if I64 from the surface streets. Living in LA I felt the same way, hard to fathom that there were 14+ million inhabitants in the metro when on the surface streets. In New York I've always felt the presence of it's 16+ million inhabitants on the highways, surface streets and at the drug store...

I've always felt more comfortable living horizontally rather than vertically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area