Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 06:49 AM

8 posts, read 12,010 times

Advertisements

I can't find a job to save my life. I'm desperate!

I'm on monster and careerbuilder, with zero response. I search for jobs and send my resume out all the time. I'm not getting any response.

Are there other sites out there? Ive heard that monster and careerbuilder are notorious for their lack of success.

I have military, college, and marketing experience, but I can't get anyone to give me an interview!!!

HELP before I'm living out of my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 09:18 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Monster is crap, and Career Builder has way too much fluff like work at home scams and they charge you through the nose to get your resume any exposure to employers.

Try Indeed.com, it pulls together lots of different jobsites. You also should go unsolicited in to temp agencies, but not the ones that charge you for services, those are scams.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:15 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Pilot Online has a good number of job listings. I know my company has a few job openings (Software Devs) and ONLY used Pilot Online.

If you can avoid the scams, Craigslist has job listings as well.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:48 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needajob!!! View Post
I can't find a job to save my life. I'm desperate!

I'm on monster and careerbuilder, with zero response. I search for jobs and send my resume out all the time. I'm not getting any response.

Are there other sites out there? Ive heard that monster and careerbuilder are notorious for their lack of success.

I have military, college, and marketing experience, but I can't get anyone to give me an interview!!!

HELP before I'm living out of my car.
I'd go to the websites of prospective employers directly. I've never gotten an interview off of careerbuilder monster etc.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:11 PM

520 posts, read 1,626,102 times
I actually scored a job via monster, believe it or not. Of course it was with a contractor I already had worked for.

SOCIAL. NETWORKING!

Get on linkedin, plaxo. Also, as someone else said PilotOnline / careerconnection and Craigslist, of course.

Do remember it's an economic downturn. So if nothing else, if you have some sort of service you offer, list it up on craigslist.

Might also network, look for groups on meetup.com and the like that might let you meet new people. Also if you can, there is always other cities (Richmond, Raleigh, etc).

I figure I might be looking for a job in a short bit, so I'm making sure to keep up with professional groups that are related to my field.

Generally, I've helped friends get jobs, but when I needed one, nothing was available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area