Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:23 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by relohunter View Post
I guess there's a fine line between 'looking in the eye' and 'Psycho Stare' eh?
Oh man, now I'm all self-conscious, haha. I don't think I'm "psycho staring" people down though (at least I hope not!). More of a "natural glance up" in passing. I try to look like this little guy --->
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 08:50 PM

36 posts, read 69,560 times
oh ok rtandc. Now I see. Sometimes it helps to do that, to put things in perspective. That's a lotta meetin people! But, I can see the point of view. I can relate.

In our situation, we do need to find a place more affordable. We liked New England while we lived there. I had a job interview opportunity up there, at the same time the CO job came through this year. But we talked about it, then looked up housing costs again. That did it. *THAT* was the dealbreaker, right there. Plus the job wasn't as interesting/challenging as the CO one. Housing prices didn't get any better, that's for sure!

hehe I was just bein silly xgrendelx. I'm kinda like that; I'm sure you're doin fine. So is it true the weather's perfect nearly every day there? San Fran. I bet the weather men have a really easy job there. OH wait; I'm thinking of San Diego.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relohunter View Post
hehe I was just bein silly xgrendelx. I'm kinda like that; I'm sure you're doin fine. So is it true the weather's perfect nearly every day there? San Fran. I bet the weather men have a really easy job there. OH wait; I'm thinking of San Diego.
I actually love the weather here. An average temp of 50-70 year round is just fine with me. Today was a nice, partly cloudy day with a cool breeze but not freezing, although last week was basically constant rain. The people here freaked out too, haha. I think SF got 3 inches in a week and few days, and all I kept thinking was how back in VA we'd get 3 inches in an hour during a summer storm. Can't imagine what would happen if a hurricane ever hit here haha!

Old 01-30-2010, 06:14 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I actually love the weather here. An average temp of 50-70 year round is just fine with me. Today was a nice, partly cloudy day with a cool breeze but not freezing, although last week was basically constant rain. The people here freaked out too, haha. I think SF got 3 inches in a week and few days, and all I kept thinking was how back in VA we'd get 3 inches in an hour during a summer storm. Can't imagine what would happen if a hurricane ever hit here haha!
Are you going to school?

Old 01-30-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Are you going to school?
Not yet. I applied, but haven't heard back yet. I'm really just kinda hanging out and enjoying life right now. If school happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Either way, I'm where I want to be and that was my goal. It took 2 years, but I finally made it!

Old 01-31-2010, 09:45 AM

359 posts, read 758,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
my husband needed 30-40 minutes to work which is 3 miles away because everybody goes to base on the same time and also has to pass this nice train track. If the train comes, it doesn't just pass by - it stops, backs up, goes forward, backs up again, stops - at the end you are waiting for 10 minutes that the train finally passed and you can continue on Hampton Boulevard.

I also am onboard with the statements about having to drive through ghettos to get anywhere, big-a$$ed trucks that entitle their degenerate drivers to be rude, and crappy furniture. By happenstance, the Gravy had me end up in this, the last place I ever wanted to go, the black hole that is Awfulk. This reminds me of high school: I knew that if I didn't high-tail it out, I'd be stuck forever like the dregs that became mired in drugs, and stuck in a city that must've been inspired by Detroit.

The positives are very good, and it's very homey in Kempsville, it's just not MY home.

The end.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,279 times
There are so many people that come from somewhere else, never get into what is offered here, complain it's not as good as home, and leave ... Saying whatever nonsense that makes them feel good! Tidewater has a lot to offer, nice weather, nice beaches, great seafood, good schools ... I've been to more places than most, they all had their charms but ... There is no place like home!

Old 08-19-2016, 10:49 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiami225 View Post
There are so many people that come from somewhere else, never get into what is offered here, complain it's not as good as home, and leave ... Saying whatever nonsense that makes them feel good! Tidewater has a lot to offer, nice weather, nice beaches, great seafood, good schools ... I've been to more places than most, they all had their charms but ... There is no place like home!
Agreed. Although I find that this happens all over, not just Hampton Roads.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:23 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Very true

Old 08-20-2016, 04:14 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Yep.

Have lived all over the country, and it's the same story in each.

Well, except for Alabama. Nobody likes Alabama.

It's all about attitude. HR is not without its faults, but neither is NYC, LA, SF, Atlanta, Miami, or any other of the "popular" cities.

HR offers everything that other major metropolitan areas offer, any perhaps even more. Everything from great art museums to great shopping to operas to beaches.

This is especially true of Norfolk. If it could get its crime problem, traffic problems, better government/community leadership, and "ghetto mentality" under control, I really don't think there is a better place to live in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area