U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 01:37 AM

998 posts, read 798,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Yep.

Have lived all over the country, and it's the same story in each.

Well, except for Alabama. Nobody likes Alabama.

It's all about attitude. HR is not without its faults, but neither is NYC, LA, SF, Atlanta, Miami, or any other of the "popular" cities.

HR offers everything that other major metropolitan areas offer, any perhaps even more. Everything from great art museums to great shopping to operas to beaches.

This is especially true of Norfolk. If it could get its crime problem, traffic problems, better government/community leadership, and "ghetto mentality" under control, I really don't think there is a better place to live in the country.
Yes! All over this. I have lived all over the country and this is now my forever home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 11:53 AM

16 posts, read 8,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraEffort View Post
Sorry too many black helicopters and fuhgedaboutit if you have a sports car, you're gonna hafta drive that bad mofo in grandma mode all around or face a poop-your-pants ticket.

So right now I'm throwing up hand signs (picture this) V, A, and PEACE!!!! Ummm aought!!!
Good luck to you. I have been here 20 years and knock on wood, have never been pulled over once. I feel that they don't pull on the interstates unless you are doing 20+ over the speed limit bc then they can get a reckless on you. I have relatives in other states where the state police pull people at 5-10 over so it could be worse. Or Maryland and DC with their speed cameras that you get the ticket in the mail.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:24 AM

100 posts, read 57,277 times
I consider the Hampton Roads area to be a convenient and a comfortable place to live provided you have a decent income. But it is not terribly exciting especially if you have children which of course sometimes limits what you can do.

For instance on the hottest days in the summer you can still go to the beach or water park but if you have a small child, you wont want to deal with the heat for a long period of time as well as the crowds at those places whereas if you did not have small children you would be able to handle that much easier. So the status of your life does play a factor. I used to be a season pass holder at Busch Gardens and Water Country for couple years in the late 00's, but once I had children those days ended quickly. Not saying that is good or bad. Just how it is. I think as soon as next year I might want to try to move somewhere else and see what it is like raising a family in a more large city/urban environment.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:27 PM

5 posts, read 1,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christine243 View Post
ExtraEffort... I cannot agree with you more.

And what is even funnier is reading some of the posts from North Easterners or folks specifically from Boston (I was born and raised there) and how many of them agree with you. SouthHampton Roads is a horrible environment in which to live exactly because of the culture here. The military makes for an excessively aggressive (in a negative way) attitude with everyday people and the prejudice here is off the freakin' chain. Work environments in most places are horrible because you have people in certain jobs, particularly in positions of power, who know how to sell themselves but have not been properly educated to manage or supervise and as a result their attitudes often foster excessive competitiveness, no real team spirit (though they talk a good game about it), abuse of power, Human Resources in most places in SouthHampton Roads is practically non existent and useless and there is a HUGE amount of backbiting. People here are class concious to the extreme and what's funny about it is half of them have nothing of real value and haven't done anything in their lives or been anywhere that's worth mentioning. My cat has done more and been more places than half of these people (seriously... no joke -- and he's a house cat).

Everyone walks around with an attitude and chip on their shoulder (and yes, I'm talking about White and Black people). Blacks in this area are so culturally void and have such low self esteem that when White's speak poorly to them or treat them disrespectfully they will just sit and take it. I'm stunned at this. I've had 3 run-ins with White women in positions of power and have had to pull each one of them aside to tell them to stop behaving in the manor in which they were towards me. All 3 of them were so stunned that they went through a serious of emotional outbursts that I found amusing: 1st they were stunned that I could accuse them of their unprofessional and mean spirited behavior, then they got bullish and tried to back me down into a corner implying that I was the problem (I've never had work related problems like this out of all the places I have resided in the United States - MA, FL, TX, NM), then when I wouldn't back down (yeah, I'm not from here and that is not how I roll - I stand up for myself and for those who cannot) they started with the crocodile tears and actually ADMITTED their crummy behavior and pathetically promised not to do it again. I kid you not... this happened to me 3 times since living here and I've lived here since May of 2007. Whites in SouthHampton Roads are used to being in charge and getting away with murder because they have for so many years/decades/generations (lol).

Did I mention the crummy military attitudes here? Oh, yeah... I did. I guess I can't seem to mention it enough. I suppose if you grew up in a military town or grew up with hardcore military in your family, you would probably not care. Oddly enough, though, I was reading a Nursing message board (my mom works for a major university in the area for their Nursing Dept) and a Registered Nurse who is married to a Military man and who has lived in the area for about 6-7 months was thrashing SouthHampton Roads something awful talking about the very thing that many of us on this board are talking about. She hates it here and that she is pushing her husband for a transfer to another area. Evidently her husband had a high enough ranking that she can do that. God Bless her. I hope she gets out.

My advice to people who don't already live in neighboring states: Don't come here. I'll bet most of you will regret it. My husband's family is in the military so he was born and raised here (he's not in the military). I have been pushing him to leave this horrible place and it looks like in a year or two we're getting out. I am expecting and I do not want to raise my child in such a prejudicial, mean spirited, negatively aggressive environment. God, I hate this place...
Christine, I am from up north and can't stand Hampton or VA beach. I am black and find the blacks here to be extremely " slow" , that's putting it very nicely!! Some of the whites here want to hold you back on certain job promotions. There is a culture of holding people back here. They will smile and show annoying southern hospitality and then try to stab you in the back. However I have met some nice people here and they are the exception. The men here are very stuck up ...smh. I have never hated a place soooooo much. After leaving work, I felt like I had a mini nervous breakdown dealing with some of the people here. They also have that uneducated shuckin and jiving mentality here too. I am planning on moving to work in D.C. soon.... I look forward to exiting the southern culture

Old 09-30-2018, 04:40 PM

1,037 posts, read 753,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aayanna79 View Post
Christine, I am from up north and can't stand Hampton or VA beach. I am black and find the blacks here to be extremely " slow" , that's putting it very nicely!! Some of the whites here want to hold you back on certain job promotions. There is a culture of holding people back here. They will smile and show annoying southern hospitality and then try to stab you in the back. However I have met some nice people here and they are the exception. The men here are very stuck up ...smh. I have never hated a place soooooo much. After leaving work, I felt like I had a mini nervous breakdown dealing with some of the people here. They also have that uneducated shuckin and jiving mentality here too. I am planning on moving to work in D.C. soon.... I look forward to exiting the southern culture
Well that post is filled with generalization, racism, and sexism.

I do find SOME older people of both races in this area to be racist. But the <70 years old? Nope. We probably have the least amount of racism of any area in the country.

And being held back because of race? What company do you work for? I haven't experienced that at all. I've actually seen the exact opposite where women and minorities have been promoted just because they were minority and/or female. A good example is Cox. Almost their entire executive team is black. Minorities made up the majority of their supervisor staff as well.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:20 AM

23,000 posts, read 31,942,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aayanna79 View Post
Iím black, grew up in Hampton, and live near DC now. I find these comments ignorant and insulting. You should realize that Hampton and VA Beach are slower paced cities than the Northeast in general because they are nowhere near as busy. Yes of course the people will naturally be more laid back and not as frantic. Doesnít mean anything is wrong with them. Hampton was not really Southern hospitality IMO but when push came to shove your neighbors had your back. After Isabel happened in 2003, a guy we never talked to came and helped us get a tree out our driveway without even us asking.

I have no interest in moving back to Hampton but I donít appreciate people talking down on it with ignorant judgement.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:58 AM

5,560 posts, read 5,360,169 times
Then go back to the Northeast.

I'm from the Midwest and had similar feelings. But after a while I'm either going back to the Midwest or I'm going to deal with it.

So you've made your decision. Good for you. So it is what it is allow people that want to enjoy Hampton Roads to do so and move on with your life. You've vented. Got out your feelings so now enjoy this new chapter in your life.

Cheers.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:50 AM

3,311 posts, read 2,238,620 times
Its insulting to call people slow, or say that they shuck and jive, and I would never go that way if I didn't mean it...

The pace here is a slower one than I prefer. There are 1.2 million on the Southside and there are 700,000 between Norfolk and Virginia Beach, but there is no large city vibe. I attribute that mostly to the retirement/beachy culture here. Not the biggest fan of the energy here, there isn't enough natural creativity and artistically inclined people here, but there are enough positives that you can get used to the pace of life...

I do find some truth in the sentiment that there isn't a progressive work force here, and that it can be difficult to climb the ladder within your company...

Big lie that this area has the least amount of racism in the country....but it doesn't have the worst, and as far as gauging that kind of thing, it's okay here. There is an undercurrent of hidden racism here, and if you know what it looks like, you know it when you see it...

Old 10-05-2018, 07:22 AM

100 posts, read 57,277 times
There is a lot of things that the Tidewater region lacks. But there is a lot of convenience in may areas such as grocery shopping and recreation. You can find that stuff very close. Its a good place to live when you have kids I think. If you are single then maybe there are better options out there. Plus for some of us that whole "diversity" thing that you get up in Northern Va is not all that it is cracked up to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area