U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 02:13 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,737,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamAndrea View Post
This makes no sense to me at all...

Just because I havent been posting on the forums doesnt mean I haven't "been" here...
No but this forum seems to get a lot of "one hit wonders" where people like to come and bash this area and then they disapear.....I guess it makes them feel better because if they think they are saying something that has not been said before then they are mistaken.....Everyone has something they dont like about where they live and Hampton Roads is no different.....

But you stated you agree with the OP who does not like the black helicopters and things like fuhgedaboutit if you have a sports car....if thats your problems also then you have more issues then I can help you with.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 03:24 PM

52 posts, read 118,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
No but this forum seems to get a lot of "one hit wonders" where people like to come and bash this area and then they disapear.....I guess it makes them feel better because if they think they are saying something that has not been said before then they are mistaken.....Everyone has something they dont like about where they live and Hampton Roads is no different.....

But you stated you agree with the OP who does not like the black helicopters and things like fuhgedaboutit if you have a sports car....if thats your problems also then you have more issues then I can help you with.....
Ok, first of all, I just found these forums. I WISH I would have know about it sooner. This place is for opinions. Yours. Mine. And everyone elses. I will not feel sorry for not liking black helicopters flying over my home and I'm not the only person to agree with the OP.

Why are you so defensive? I didn't start a thread titled "DONT COME HERE, IT SUCKS!!!" What's so wrong about wanting to move to be closer to our families? My DH and I have no support network here.

So if I and the other poster you mentioned are "one-hit wonders" and will only post a few times and be gone, why not just ignore us and let this thread die? Instead, you just keep bumping it up to the top of the threads.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread and have said my peace. I will no longer comment on this and wish you luck, rtandc. I fear you will need it.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:37 PM

1,653 posts, read 5,006,824 times
I agree with those who mentioned needing a change of scenery. I'm in the same boat. I don't mind HR, but I realize now that I'm older it's not where I want to settle. I'm gonna go try out the West Coast for a little while.

Also, though off-topic, what does "DH" mean? I saw it SamAndrea's post and I've seen it in other places too. Usually I can figure out abbreviations but this one has me stumped, haha.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:12 PM

1,673 posts, read 5,526,009 times
dh= darling husband (I believe).

Old 12-16-2009, 02:20 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,764,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
dh= darling husband (I believe).

This is by far one of the lamest "internetisms" that has ever existed.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:32 PM

1,653 posts, read 5,006,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
This is by far one of the lamest "internetisms" that has ever existed.
Probably why I could never figure it out, haha.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:40 PM

21 posts, read 65,102 times
Eh, I'm ready to head somewhere new. Hampton Roads has been nice, but I am ready to see some new places. So, I will be moving to the Bay Area in the summer!

Old 12-20-2009, 02:29 PM

90 posts, read 247,525 times
I was so excited when my husband got a job in Norfolk, because we loved the area so much when we previously visited.

But now 5 months after relocating here, my husband & I are making plans to move back to Colorado.

I love the beach, but can't wait to get outta here.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:09 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,899,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Caroline View Post
I was so excited when my husband got a job in Norfolk, because we loved the area so much when we previously visited.

But now 5 months after relocating here, my husband & I are making plans to move back to Colorado.

I love the beach, but can't wait to get outta here.
It depends on where your "comfort" zone is. You can visit and have a good time...there is a saying for that "nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there." I love visiting certain places and I am glad I have had the opportunities to do so, but I wouldn't live there. There are places I cringe to have to go to, but it's my job, so I deal with it knowing the fact that I can come back to Virginia Beach and be happy. It is what it is...you have to do alot of research on an area you are moving to before you make the decision to pack up and go.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:33 PM

15,736 posts, read 11,744,086 times
I live in Norfolk since 3 years. I can't wait to move out of there, we are counting days until my husband gets stationed somewhere else in February.WHY??The attitude of people here sucks big time - lazy and proud of it. Customer service - Example: If I go in a shoe store, all shoes are one size on the shelve and you have to ask the employee there to see a pair in your size - oh, better not disturb her on the cellphone, she might be pissed to do some work for you!Street conditions suck!! Big holes, so many, you cannot even avoid them by changing lanes. If they get finally repaired, they make huge bumps so it is even worse to drive over it - maybe that is why so many people here drive pick ups. With big lift kits which just looks stupid. And when the next rain comes - no drains on many streets, everything is flooded, stores shut down, streets closed - and more holes in the streets show up afterwards. Just had to pay $1,000 for new tires because they were eaten up by the bums, holes, cracks ... and had 3 nails in my tires in the last year because people are too lazy to secure their stuff on the pick ups.Other then that, drivers seems to be always on the phone, don't blink, yell, cut you off, squeeze in for no reason, pass you on the highway on-ramp with their big ass trucks, ignore red lights, bump your doors on parking spaces, unbelievable! Bad areas - whereever you go, you have to drive through a ghetto first. Expensive real estate - why??? There is no reason for having California prices here! Trying to suck every Cent out of military people!Traffic - we lived at Hampton Boulevard - my husband needed 30-40 minutes to work which is 3 miles away because everybody goes to base on the same time and also has to pass this nice train track. If the train comes, it doesn't just pass by - it stops, backs up, goes forward, backs up again, stops - at the end you are waiting for 10 minutes that the train finally passed and you can continue on Hampton Boulevard. All the tunnels are backed up any time after 3 pm or even earlier. Military Circle Mall - I am simply scared and don't go there anymore. Williamsburg is nice - but too many holes and bumps on the road to go there and traffic is ALWAYS bad at any time. Restaurants - they are almost all equipped with furniture which seems to be at least 50 years old and chipped and ugly. Cops - don't care at all. Called the cops on my drug selling neighbor who did it right in front of our house, extremely obvious. It was on a Sunday and they said, well it is Sunday, call another day. Great. He kept selling ... we called on Monday - cops never showed up. Neighbor kept selling ...40 more days and Virginia is just a bad memory ...
I do not know ANYBODY who likes it here.
If you look at posts in the forum of other states - most of them like where they are - go to the VA Section - almost only complainers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area