U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2009, 09:04 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,229,017 times

Advertisements

It has always been like that. It was made worse when they leveled downtown to build parking lots years ago.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 09:31 PM

100 posts, read 197,767 times
There are some positive things about the HR area. The only way you really like this area is if you've never lived anywhere else and this is all you know. I'm not joking, it's just a reality. I used to be one of the people who liked this area (still do a bit. there are some real gems), but I lived elsewhere for several months and was amazed at the difference. When I returned it was like a weird reverse culture shock.

I really, really, really think the core issues boil down to this area being 7 separate cities, not a single unified district. It's a smorgasbord of competing interests, laws, and zoning regulations. Also, the cultural menu is still sub par (come on, the cities can't even agree on jointly funding a major league team??? you know you have issues when you can't even agree on how to divide up game profits. give me a break!).

Old 12-25-2009, 03:36 PM

15,736 posts, read 11,744,086 times
Those people who have never lived anywhere else and like it here are maybe those people who make the area bad.

On my husbands ship 9 out of 10 people hate it here. Most of them have been stationed on other places before and therefore are able to compare.

It is raining again, let me guess - flooding ... AGAIN??

The only good thing here for me is that I can be proud to be a military wife and kinda belong to "the club". Getting military discounts here and there.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:34 PM

36 posts, read 59,019 times
Well at least we're not the only ones who feel this way about HR. If we mention this to other folks they act like there's something wrong with us.
I came here for job experience, with no intention to stay.

There are some things which we do like. But there are more where we are going (Aurora / Denver CO) based on our research. We're leaving in February; not the best time of the year but that's when the job starts.
We've told some folks where we're going and they whine: "iiitt's cooolld out there...". Really? What a huge surprise! Wait a minute... maybe we should rethink this move then... NOT! Well, different strokes for different folks as they say.

Yep; here: rain rain rain. Though this year does seem to be more rainy than previous years. Every 3rd day or so. Worst part for me is when I have to take out the trash and the water is splashing all over the trash can; icy cold ahh hate that! It's like taking a very cold shower. No I can't move the trash can unless I want to drive into it. But I did discover if I rotate it 90 degrees there's no splash.

Yep: da Poe-Leese (police). Ticketing is a mainstay job apparently.

Town Center is pretty nice. I like the beach on occasion. The Naro has international films, but only a single screen. Cinema Cafe is fun. $1 Tuesdays WooHoo! Save that receipt; do the survey. You don't have to listen to the whole question for each answer. Click your number and you go to the next one; much faster that way. You get a free movie pass with that survey every time.

That's it for now.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:28 AM

My experience is the opposite - Everybody is jealous we are moving away. ANY place is better than HR.

I want to take some pics of potholes and bumps on the streets before we move because I am sure nobody elsewhere believes how bad the conditions are here. I suggested to my husband to leave the area with printed Shirts with "HR sucks" on it and keep it for the bad memories.

2nd day of rain - let's go roach hunting in the house. Don't get me wrong, I am a clean person and I have never seen any cockroaches until I moved to HR. Third place here in 3 years (moved from one dump to the other, landlords tried to scam us) and roaches on every place.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:48 AM

2,031 posts, read 5,983,929 times
Maybe you should write to our soon to be governor, Bob "pothole fixer" McDonnell, I'm sure he will get his crack assistants to fix all of the problems in HR and in the rest of the state, LOL

Old 12-26-2009, 07:28 AM

aren't they too busy spending money on the train and train tracks?

Old 12-26-2009, 08:52 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,190,952 times
Caroline,
We too are making plans to get back to CO. I have met some wonderful people here but I am ready for CO schools, CO politics, and the down earth feeling that CO brings to our family. I also don't care the racism that we feel here. We are a white family but we see and feel so much segratation here.
We have come across a lot of people who do love it here, but they are typically east coast people. This means they have moved up and down the east coast. When we talk about CO, I get a lot of "its so far in" and "no beaches" comments. But, this is completely fine with me because it means more CO for me and fewer people to share it with- lol! JK.
I am elated that some love it here, we all have our own niches and spots we call heaven. I am one who enjoys traveling but will probably always call CO "home". Thanks for sharing Hampton Roads, see you on our next vacation! (meant to end of a good note!!)

Old 12-27-2009, 10:37 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,899,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
My experience is the opposite - Everybody is jealous we are moving away. ANY place is better than HR.

I want to take some pics of potholes and bumps on the streets before we move because I am sure nobody elsewhere believes how bad the conditions are here. I suggested to my husband to leave the area with printed Shirts with "HR sucks" on it and keep it for the bad memories.

2nd day of rain - let's go roach hunting in the house. Don't get me wrong, I am a clean person and I have never seen any cockroaches until I moved to HR. Third place here in 3 years (moved from one dump to the other, landlords tried to scam us) and roaches on every place.

According to the people in the Colorado forum..it ain't all that. First of all, the air quality isn't very good. Secondly, real estate is suffering just as bad as everywhere else. As far as roaches...well, if you don't do anything about them as far as exterminating and keeping up your property, then you will always have them. When you are in the military, you take the openings given to you. It's not a "I want to live here and there" type of military in this country. We all had to take the good with the bad and make the best of it, not only for ourselves, but our families.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:05 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,393,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrak View Post
There are some positive things about the HR area. The only way you really like this area is if you've never lived anywhere else and this is all you know. I'm not joking, it's just a reality. I used to be one of the people who liked this area (still do a bit. there are some real gems), but I lived elsewhere for several months and was amazed at the difference. When I returned it was like a weird reverse culture shock.
You couldn't be more wrong.

I have lived (for more than 1 year) in more than *10* other places. I really like here and Denver, Colorado, equally, and far better than any other places I've ever been. Notice I'm here, now.

Your own mileage may (and obviously does) vary. You're entitled to that opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area