U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 12:29 PM

115 posts, read 265,070 times

Advertisements

I know these post are normally kind of annoying, but I had to laugh when I saw a post about roaches, rain, and potholes (shame on you HR for letting those things happen! ).

I also think its funny how you see the post that "people that like it here have never been anywhere else" when a majority of this area consists of transplants and "the other forums do not have as many negative posts" which is really not true.

Where are these unmentioned places we are being compared to? I see some references of CO here, but my question is why would you chose the East coast instead of the West if you love your mountains so much? Also, as far as racism that someone from CO stated they experienced, im sure that is just culture shock due to a change in demographics. Im sure as a black man, if I moved to your town in CO I would experience the same thing.

So, like we say in VA "it is what it is" and you can add me to the so called minority of people that do like this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 12:38 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,190,072 times
Friends of ours who are black who have been stationed here or have lived here (non-military) forewarned us about the amount of racism here. We got the same from other friends who are white, asian, and mexican. In fact I was just discussing this with friends who are stationed at LAFB who came from Shreveport, LA and they too where shocked. They did say it isn't as bad as here, but compared to Colorado Springs, it is more than they expected (white family). I was also visiting with another family who is black- they come over every Tuesday for dinner and we were discussing how shocked we were to the amount of segratation there is. We were discussing churches, neighborhoods, and resturants compared to other places in the country we had been to here.
And I agree, there are lots of other negative posts about other cities/states. Denver's forum isn't all that great. Colorado Springs is pretty positive though. (COS lacks night life for the young adults but is great for families and schools- organized differently and ahead VA.)
Why did we choose east coast? Well, Langley AFB choose us and it trumped our love for the mountains. The mountains don't pay bills unfortunately, unless you are a ski resort which we aren't. We are a fire and sped teacher family. The three individuals who grew up here that I know in CO loved it here until they got out. Those that love it here have been up and down the east coast and love this area. Those who hate it seem to be transplants from out west. Again, thank goodness we all love different areas.

Last edited by froggin4colorado; 12-27-2009 at 01:03 PM..

Old 12-29-2009, 08:37 AM

15,736 posts, read 11,738,008 times
We did not choose this area, the Navy put us here. We tried everything we could to not have to move here (my husband had to live here before and knew what to expect). I thought he is overreacting when he heard we have to move here but after 4 weeks of living in HR, I agreed. The other people I know who don't like it here are 9 out of 10 coworkers of my husband, who are military and have been all over the world. And all my friends who lived in other countries and states before like CA, FL, NY, TX. People who told me they like it here, haven't been living in other areas before and look surprised when I tell them, there are streets out there in the big world which don't flood when it rains because they have DRAINS. These are also the people who rather talk on the phone or text when they see customers coming up to their workplace and they actually have to do something for their money. So - yes - I think, those people who like it here are often - not always - those people who make other people NOT like it here. I think this area here is stuck in the 80's and I wonder, if they stay like this or if they are just always 20 years behind so they are in the 90's in 10 years? I am so glad we finally have this one new radio channel which plays newer music and not just like the others the 80's music which sucked back then and still sucks today.I was shocked from the racism here, I thought those times were over and we are all the same and all behave the same.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:36 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,736,564 times
I dont understand why anyone would live someplace they are not happy at...I can understand the military being forced to live where they are needed but all of the military personal knew they could be stationed anywhere before they joined so complaining now is a little late and they wont get any sorrow from me.

Everybody else...well some people are just not happy unless they are complaining...when the only thing you have to complain about is the weather or the traffic or even potholes.......I think those people are just reaching for an excuse...

No place is as nice as your own home town where ever that may be.....its not that your home town is any nicer then where you might be living at now it is just some place you were used to......Kind of like the old saying dont complain about the sand if you want to live at the beach......

Old 12-29-2009, 12:25 PM

15,736 posts, read 11,738,008 times
......Kind of like the old saying dont complain about the sand if you want to live at the beach...... - if you can go to the beach, haha. I live near ocean view but don't go to the beach because of people harrassing methere, trying to touch me and the fear parking the car at ocean view .... I know people who actually ran away to avoid being attacked there from gangs.Well, not joining the military because of ONE place you don't want to go and I am not talking about Irak, doesn't really make sense.I thought I am the only complainer and kept my mouth shut until I noticed, that almost everybody has the same opinion.And the weather and potholes - I don't care about the weather, I never complain about rain - I complain about the inability to adjust to the weather and build sufficient streets. I had to sell my sportscar because it got eaten by the potholes and overlooked by oversized pick ups, that is annoying to me. And the maintenance is higher because of the street conditions.So, what exactly do you like here besides the mosquitos, shootings at night, racism, ghettos, lazy cashiers, ****ty roads, the 80's living conditions, ...??

Old 12-29-2009, 12:32 PM

100 posts, read 197,745 times
Someone mentioned how great Colorado Springs is...ironically, I was considering a move there but killed it rapidly given the incredible number of negative posts there are online about the CS area (it puts complaints about HR to shame). It's "crawling with gangs" and "crime-ridden." hahaha

Just goes to show, it's all perspective. And yeah, if you've been assigned here, of course you'll find stuff to complain about. Nobody likes moving somewhere they never willingly chose to go.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:00 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,190,072 times
That's hilarious about the gang comment in Colorado Springs! LOL!! Here I am working in a HS and having to deal with gang bangers daily and comparing them to the "gang bangers" in COS- its a joke. The gang bangers in Colorado Springs are wanna bees and aren't truly gang bangers but wish they were.

When we got here- we were so excited to be here. A new change, getting the opportunity to be on the east coast and with all this history!! I think what killed my enthusiasm was having to fight the school system in order to get my students what they deserved- an education. I have never seen parents have to fight so hard to get their child a decent education. Why is it so hard to give a child what he or she needs? Why must lawyers get involved? This is why we have IDEA and FAPE. I have been at the point where I want to hire my own lawyer to bring to my own IEP meetings to ensure that my students get what the need to succeed. I am also floored at the whole concept of starting a new program with no vision and no budget- who does that? As I network with other schools in the Hampton Roads area, I find the same issues in every school. Why? When I know it doesn't have to be that way? I mean, we are talking about kids here? Aren't they worth investing in??? I don't mean to turn this into an education thread, but feel I have a right to my own opinion as you all too.

If I come across as being unappreciative and cynical about the area- its because of the numerous new issues I feel like my family and I are dealing with in this new area. We have never had to deal with these issues before and its challenging- especially when you are trying to raise 3 kids. I have to think carefully about how to explain to my 12 year old what the term ****** means because she keeps hearing kids at school use the term, I don't know if I know how to because its a historical word to me. Does it still mean the same thing? What does it mean in 2009? And then I heard a new term "whigger" and I didn't know what it meant. I don't know how to explain to my kids why there aren't any blacks in our church? What do I tell them after the waitress tell us that the reason the menu has printed on the back of it that they can refuse service to anyone actually means so they can keep the blacks out- how do I explain that to my kids? Why does my daughter come home in tears because she doesn't know how to handle hearing the F word constantly and the boys are sexually harrassing her with sexual comments- she is 12 yrs old. My DH has felt the hostility towards active duty military. In COS, it wasn't uncommon to have your lunch, groceries, or gas paid for by a civilian along with a handshake of "thanks for what you do".

I guess if you want to be upset with me for what we are experiencing as a welcome to Hampton Roads/Williamsburg newbie- than fine. It adds to the experience really, it isn't surprising.
Let me also find the thread of COS gangs for you so you can read it all.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:13 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,635,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
What do I tell them after the waitress tell us that the reason the menu has printed on the back of it that they can refuse service to anyone actually means so they can keep the blacks out- how do I explain that to my kids?

WOW where do you eat????

Wigger is not a new term. I remember that from back in the day (who sang that ice ice baby song?). That is the first time I remember hearing that word used in a sentence. To describe him.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:41 PM

23,000 posts, read 31,942,334 times
Well I have been out of HR 5 years. I was happy to leave, now I want to come back. I thought NoVA was the promised land, WRONG!!!!!!

If you think HR is segregated, NoVA will blow your mind. There are a whole mess of immigrants here but they stay with their color for the most part and don't interact with whites or blacks for the most part.

The grass ain't always greener trust me.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:37 AM

100 posts, read 197,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Let me also find the thread of COS gangs for you so you can read it all.
Here ya go. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

That's the site I used when I was trying to figure out a nice locale to move to. I rapidly ruled out Colorado Springs. These are 2 of the top 3 posts on the forum. Sound awfully familiar don't they...?

Quote:
The crime here is terrible!! I have been followed out of the grocery store in areas where house prices are 300K, by persons trying to rob me!! And more than once!! Then...(Read More...)
Quote:
Rick Van Wieren must be in the real estate business! He is not giving an accurate portrait of CS. Gangs and other crime are rampant in this city, schools are overcrowded and severely lacking in quality of education. Traffic is awful and good luck getting to know your neighbors - they will only be there for a year or two before the military transfers them. The cost of housing is sky high whether you are renting or buying, salaries are extremely low due to so many military retirees and spouses willing to work for peanuts. The big companies employing lots of people (i.e. Hewlett Packard) are pulling out of here faster than you can snap your fingers leaving unemployment and poverty behind. The city is very conservative and there's a lot of mega-churches and religion everywhere. The view is great, the climate is to die for - but neither one of those things puts food on the table and keeps your family safe.

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 05:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area