U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:42 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,737,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
That's hilarious about the gang comment in Colorado Springs! LOL!! Here I am working in a HS and having to deal with gang bangers daily and comparing them to the "gang bangers" in COS- its a joke. The gang bangers in Colorado Springs are wanna bees and aren't truly gang bangers but wish they were.
See this is where you are just reaching for excuses again.......Gang bangers are gang bangers it does not matter where you live.......There is no such thing as wanna be's....if someone dresses like a gang banger, talks, acts and follows the beliefs of a gang...they are a gang banger..and Colorado Springs is full of gangs, a quick google search will show you that....

You were warned by a number of people including myself before moving out here how different it would be, but you came anyway. Why? Because it was one place you DH could find a job if I can recall correctly, so be happy that Hampton Roads did offer your family something that appears no other place did......

Now is there a big difference between Co and Va ...sure, but that could be said for just about any state that is several thousand miles away from another.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 08:55 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,750,664 times
Not really..

Compare Hampton Roads "gangbangers" especially in the cities of Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Newport News, and Portsmouth, and you will see the difference between "wannabees" in Colorado.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:09 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,764,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Well I have been out of HR 5 years. I was happy to leave, now I want to come back. I thought NoVA was the promised land, WRONG!!!!!!

If you think HR is segregated, NoVA will blow your mind. There are a whole mess of immigrants here but they stay with their color for the most part and don't interact with whites or blacks for the most part.

The grass ain't always greener trust me.
If I were to make a list of places to move to from Hampton Roads, NOVA wouldnt even be close to getting on it. NOVA is almost an exact replica of Hampton Roads, except its not as laid back and doesnt have as good of weather, and has a much worse problem with organized gangs and crime.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
See this is where you are just reaching for excuses again.......Gang bangers are gang bangers it does not matter where you live.......There is no such thing as wanna be's....if someone dresses like a gang banger, talks, acts and follows the beliefs of a gang...they are a gang banger..and Colorado Springs is full of gangs, a quick google search will show you that....

Technically you are right, but a couple kids in a "group" is far different then having a chapter of Gangster Disciples, MS-13 or Latin Kings in the area.

However, it appears you are exactly spot on that Colorado Springs has a gang problem. Many chapters of national gangs are very prevalent in the Denver area, and from what Im reading, probably much more so then here in Hampton Roads. The worst Ive heard in Hampton Roads is some limited activity from Bloods tied gangs. As far as I know, most national gangs are hardly prevalent south of Richmond or Northeast of Charlotte.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Technically you are right, but a couple kids in a "group" is far different then having a chapter of Gangster Disciples, MS-13 or Latin Kings in the area.

However, it appears you are exactly spot on that Colorado Springs has a gang problem. Many chapters of national gangs are very prevalent in the Denver area, and from what Im reading, probably much more so then here in Hampton Roads. The worst Ive heard in Hampton Roads is some limited activity from Bloods tied gangs. As far as I know, most national gangs are hardly prevalent south of Richmond or Northeast of Charlotte.
Virginia Beach and Norfolk have serious gang problems. Reports are that MS-13 has infiltrated Hampton Roads and blood affiliations are huge.

Norfolk gang leaders face dozens of counts in U.S. courtroom | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Quote:
Late 1990s The Bounty Hunter Bloods get their start in Norfolk.

2003-2007 The gang, relatively dormant until this point, begins selling kilo quantities of cocaine, carrying firearms and letting it be known that the Bloods control Ocean View, as well as parts of Little Creek and Norview. The level of violence attributed to the gang steadily increases. Members make names for themselves by committing home-invasion robberies as well as store robberies .

Last summer The gang is linked to two crimes a shooting in downtown Norfolk and a mob beating in East Ocean View.

Today Two Bloods leaders are scheduled to stand trial in U.S. District Court. They face dozens of counts, including racketeering and accessory to murder.

Identification

Members of the Bounty Hunter Bloods wear red and black and often display the number 5 and a 5-point star. They identify with each other through various hand signs, tattoos and dances.

Graffiti usually marks their territories, and they are forbidden from using the hard C sound when talking to each other.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:33 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,637,571 times
Two crimes?? Really that is it. From the news last night they made it sound a lot worse.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:48 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,190,952 times
Ah yes, but Denver is different than COS. So are you saying a 8 yr old who dresses like a gang banger is a gang banger? I have little fear for an 8 yr old who tries to be a gang banger- so that's a slippery slope. This is my comparison to COS- they are a bunch of wanna bees who want to think they are gang bangers but aren't aggressive or violent. The police force in COS will tell you that COS gangs are far different than those found in LA, New York, DC, etc. And, if you reseach gangs in COS, you will see I am one of the primary poster about the subject- there is a reason for that.
Yes, we are fortunate for a job. Thank goodness. And like I keep saying, I am glad people love it out here, somebody has to! Not everyone has to like somewhere- heavens there are plenty who hated Colorado Springs because it had no night life and young singles had a hard time finding each other for dating purposes. Its a family community, not great for the single scene. Denver was better for the night life but also seen as more dangerous. But then again, COS only has 360,000 people in it wheras Denver is twice as big and if you add the burbs, then you have almost 3 times larger of Colorado Springs. (COS's gang numbers are around 400 and they are mostly 16-24 yr olds who are trying to fit in somewhere- dress like it but don't do anything but smoke weed-its the out of towners that are problems)
This is a thread entitled "my parting impressions" and it wasn't a great review of the area. It has also brought on other negative views of the area. That is just the way it is. You will get great reviews by some who love it here and negative from others. So let it be. I am not trying to get you to hate it, I am just explaining why I dislike it and for you to tell me that my feelings and experiences aren't valid doesn't make sense. You can call them excuses- that's fine. You have your experiences and feelings on why you like it and that's great and who you are. I am not going to convince you otherwise. So please, when I say I felt hatred towards the military, racism, and I dislike the school system here, let it go. I have experienced a few other states in the country and all I am saying is this is my least favorite. We now know why there is a high turnover, because so many don't stay long. We can now say we have been there, done that, and will look to move on. I think we will try Germany or Hawaii next! I don't know if I want to do the panhandle of FL...its just a few of the options that DH has of where we can transfer.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Two crimes?? Really that is it. From the news last night they made it sound a lot worse.
Thats old article..I just typed in gangs in Norfolk..

The article today wasabout Virginai Beach gangsand homicides.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:22 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,190,952 times
Emrak,
I also looked at that link- I'm afraid I don't follow you. I went ahead and looked at Hampton Roads too, but doesn't that only give Hampton Roads? I consider the area here to be one continuous flow of cities for the most part- is there a website that talks about the area as a whole? Hampton Roads, Newport News, Suffolk, Cheasapeake, Norfolk, etc.? It did say the average home price was $162K but when I used a Remax search for homes at that price- it didn't come up with anything. I did get a couple older homes for 175K and it doesn't fit our lifestyle. (We sold our 5 bedroom 2 bath home for 153k in September in CO)
I read the posts about COS and all but 2 were positive. One claimed CA was cheaper to live in- not sure where in CA she came from but okay and the other talked about crime and homeless- yea there are a couple vets who choose to be homeless in COS but there is free and subsidized housing available but they fight against being there. My DH has worked on these guys a couple of times (riding with AMR- ambulance) and they would rather be outside than in the small apartment that is provided for them. They hang out by the VA hospital so they are close to where they need to be for their monthly checks and the liquor store. They did just have a guy who became homeless because he lost his job and he actually died while sleeping one night. He was trying to get his feet back on the ground. You can read about him in the Gazette. It was a big news because all the homeless guys loved him- he was different and didn't want to be on the street.
Anyhow, yes, you are going to read a couple posts, but I can tell you its different, not the same.
And someone stated the demographics are different- Fort Carson, Peterson, Shriever, Norad, and the United States Air Force Academy are all in Colorado Springs- lots of diversity! I can't tell you how many times I have paid for a soldier's lunch because I wanted to say thank you for what they do. I can't tell you how common that is- its that common. It is normal to give stuff to the military, to discount things for them, etc. That's just the way it is done there. Maybe it has something to do with the number of churches and conservatism there?? I don't know. Colorado Springs is known to be ultra conservative, probably why so many don't lock up their cars and houses. A false sense of security and trust.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Virginia Beach and Norfolk have serious gang problems. Reports are that MS-13 has infiltrated Hampton Roads and blood affiliations are huge.

Norfolk gang leaders face dozens of counts in U.S. courtroom | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Wow....MS-13 "may have" infiltrated Hampton Roads? The Bounty Hunter Bloods? Are you kidding me? Places that have "actual" gang problems have dozens of sets of these gangs fighting over drug turf. Our "gang" activity is largely restricted to small neighborhood groups, and random crime, like break ins. The gangs are not huge players in local drug trafficking, nor are they engaging in armed warfare in the streets. A recent Pilot article states there are 67 gangs with about 1,500 members in Norfolk, doing the math.....thats a little more then 20 members per gang on average, but this number is likely comprised of a handful of larger gangs and a bunch of small neighborhood or block "gangs" that are little more then groups of friends. In fact, the article goes on to state that less then half of the "gangs" are even known to be active in any types of crimes.

As for our "serious Blood problem", The Bounty Hunter Bloods in Norfolk have few ties to any national Bloods groups outside of being started by some dude from NYC who claimed he was an original Blood. This "serious problem" was so serious that nobody even heard of the Bounty Hunter Bloods for decades until they started to be tied to a few robberies and drug arrests in the mid 2000's. The Dump Squad another alleged "Blood" gang (began by a teenager), is also largely localized and was pretty much destroyed almost as quickly as it came on the scene as half the top brass got 30+ years recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area