Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 05:56 PM

251 posts, read 1,034,322 times

Advertisements

Anders15,

If you are considering the sciences and want to go to a HBCU...you should look into Fisk....they
are really known for that area...if you want to go to school out of VA...

Sounds like ODU is more of a bargain financially.....if money is not an issue..then go wherever you decide or if you can get a Full Scholarship wherever you decide is even better...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 12:15 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naomisday View Post
Randomdude,

Thanks for your response....

Learning all about the VA College System...

What is Regent? Never heard about that school...

Out here in California...Hampton is highly rated amongst the HBCU's...up there with Howard,
Spelman, Morehouse, Fisk.... like Shaddix said..

Going to Hampton from California is probably a bigger deal then a student from VA going there.....a friend of mine went there about 15 years ago...I think his father graduated from there back in the
day...his father was/is a doctor...

UVA and College of William and Mary are the two schools you hear about out here in California.....

ODU sounds like a State school like San Francisco State or San Jose State...here...
Regent is a fairly new university (as far as I know), that is mainly affiliated with Pat Robertson and the Christian community. I don't think Pat Robertson is the president anymore, but I believe he was at one point.

UVa and W&M are definitely the top schools in VA.

And yeah, I believe ODU would be on par with SF an SJ State. They offer a bit of everything to study, but a few programs are ranked fairly high much like how SFSU and SJSU are. For example, ODU's English program is supposed to be pretty good.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:12 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,911 times
Quote:
Randomdude,

Thanks for your response....

Learning all about the VA College System...

What is Regent? Never heard about that school...
Regent is a small private school founded in the late seventies by Pat Robertson in Virginia Beach. It is largely considered a joke locally, and is famous for barely clinging on to its accredidations.

Quote:
Out here in California...Hampton is highly rated amongst the HBCU's...up there with Howard,
Spelman, Morehouse, Fisk.... like Shaddix said..
I have no doubt Hampton ranks pretty highly amongst HBCU's. However, if you remove that factor, its actually only a bit about average as far as local schools go.

Quote:
Going to Hampton from California is probably a bigger deal then a student from VA going there.....a friend of mine went there about 15 years ago...I think his father graduated from there back in the
day...his father was/is a doctor...
I have no doubt Hampton churns out some very bright people. However, all things considered, the average student there is of a lower caliber then half the local schools.

Quote:
UVA and College of William and Mary are the two schools you hear about out here in California.....

ODU sounds like a State school like San Francisco State or San Jose State...here...
UVA is in Charlottesville, which is a decent haul across the state. I only discussed the regional schools here. If we extended that to the state level, there are a number of other schools to consider that are higher caliber then ODU or Hampton.

As far as your assessment of ODU, it is a state school, and very regional. ODU is very well known, and fairly respected in the region, but if you move much further outside of Virginia or the Mid-Atlantic, nobody has likely heard of it, except maybe from their NCAA Tournament brackets. As far as being a state school though, both William and Mary and UVA are also public state funded schools.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:20 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Anders15,

Even though I am from Hampton, Hampton U was not worth over $13k a year for me. I think it is a fine school but too expensive for the basic mid-level education I recieve on my online distance program. These days, I would go with ODU or even community college to ODU to save the $$.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:52 PM

Randomdude,

I feel I know what is going on in VA Colleges Now....

Ah Regent...Pat Roberston...I think out of the Christian Colleges Wheaton College in Illinois
is considered the Top Academically....

Sounds like Regent tried to probably copy Oral Roberts University...which some say is an okay
school...

Didn't realize William & Mary was a State school...I thought it was a Private College...

Old 12-22-2009, 08:56 PM

Alanboy395,

I can understand that.....

Lots of people owe lots of money going to Hampton,Howard..Spelman ETC..especially if
they don't have a scholarship or Parents footing the bill....I knew a lot of people who owed
quite a bit....

Same thing with USC--Stanford.----I think they tend to have more Financial Aid help available
though...

Yes, getting the Education as cheaply as you can is best thing especially if you are paying for it...

Old 12-22-2009, 09:00 PM

xGrendelx,

Hi my friend...I think I am learning the VA System now...

You know California does have education pretty cheap...even now...it is going up---but
Community Colleges here are still $26 a unit and SFSU is still reasonable....

UC Berkeley is going up 32%..........which sucks for those coming in now..but it is still a lot less
then other State Schools......

Can you imagine...back in the day you could go to College for Free in California?

A lot of people are choosing to go to Community College and transfer or go to Private Colleges
and get the Aid.....

Old 12-22-2009, 09:05 PM

Randomdude,

I met a teacher who told me she was going to retire and move from the Bay Area to Charlottesville,VA..she told me she really loved that town...

Old 12-23-2009, 07:50 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,911 times
Quote:
Didn't realize William & Mary was a State school...I thought it was a Private College...

Yes, its public, and is considered one of the best values in the country. Many people put its academic quality on par, or just a notch below the Ivy League, but its $5700 a semester in state. You would be extremely hard pressed to beat that.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:50 PM

100 posts, read 234,384 times
ODU wins this debate, hands down.

I've attended ODU, CNU, and TCC. For the most part I agree with the conclusions reached in this thread, except that CNU is not as highly ranked as some make it out to be. To me, it was nothing more than a glorified community college. They're spending gobs to redevelop and expand the whole area, but it's still a light-year or two behind ODU in terms of...well...everything. Except parking. CNU has better parking.

But yes, back to the main point. ODU wins. It's cheaper, better quality, higher ranked, in a FAR better city, and definitely in a better area.

Though if you're non-black, Hampton U does hook you up with insane grants (trying to expand their cultural diversity...I almost went there because of all the $$$).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area