Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:16 PM

26,687 posts, read 41,588,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucks2u View Post
All of my children attended Williamsburg & York county schools. I think you would be happier with York county school system, they have more clubs & activities. They care about the students. The teachers are better at teaching and keeping children from getting bored. The ratings don't always match the school I have learned from experience. Magruder elementary school employees young teachers fresh out of college or still in college and some parents feel the children don't benefit from a new teachers short comings. Every parent is different, but, if I had it all to do over again, I would set up housekeeping on the other end of york county away from Williamsburg school systems (that includes no Bruton High, no Magruder Elementary, no Queens Lake Middle) Adults that have been blessed with attending York county schools themselves will only have good things to say about there experience. Poquoson is good as well. You may want to do some research on the new Superintendent for York county, don't know anything about him myself. Hopes this helps...
Wow I'm surprised Mr. Staples is not there anymore. He was pretty good.

To echo lucks2u's statement. I attended YCPS from 4th grade to 10th grade and can safely say it is the best school system in the Hampton Roads area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 04:15 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,106,156 times
I am thinking of moving my kids to York schools. Coming from CO, VA schools are a good 10 yrs behind and I know that no matter where I go, it still won't be as great as where we came from.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:30 PM

13 posts, read 36,496 times
Default I find it hard to believe

that VA schools (especially York area ones) are THAT far behind!

Our school here in NH is horrible. They offer less here in 2010 than I had in NY in the 80's. We are really anxious to get our kids into a school that offers more than "Madrid" Spanish starting in 10th grade for languages. All the sports are run through the local recreation department that the town runs. There is no drama department AT ALL! Now THAT is 10 years behind!

Old 01-28-2010, 06:52 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,106,156 times
Default schools

Well, with the coming budget cuts for next school year, they are saying the foreign languages will be cut so we will soon see. When I say 10 yrs behind- I mean like there is no use of response to intervention, testing for sped is done through the WJIII still, lots of curriculum is pulled off the internet and created rather than using research based curriculum. When curriculum is bought, it is never enough so students must have access to online textbooks which has proven to be unfriendly through unfriendly websites or not enough time to get to texts.
I also found out today that VA passed a law (please correct me if I am wrong!) that schools are not allowed to start school before Labor Day so kids can work at the tourist attractions because the economy depends on it. I was shocked at first to see where the priority is- not in education. Now, it isn't like this everywhere from what I understand. However, I know of a 12th grade English class that has over 40 students in it. How is that for class size? And to hear that with budget cuts classes will get even larger? Oh my, that's scary.
I ache for every child in America today with the huge budget cuts. This is really bad. And every school district is going to hurt. The school district I came from back in CO had planned a bit better through the years so they have some money to weather the storm. However, it sounds like most of VA schools are really going to hurt and it will add to the unemployment numbers as they lay off teachers.
I expect school drop-out numbers to rise, more violence in schools, more stressed and burned out teachers, and more school lawsuits with this budget crisis.

add-in: I stated above in an earlier post, "and no matter where I go..." I was meaning in my local area. From what I understand in the Hampton Roads area, the schools are similar in the area. I didn't mean everywhere in the country or even in VA. I also did not mean the district I came from was the high and mighty of them all. I apologize. Otherwise, I deserve a "go back from where you came from" statement. The Hampton Roads area is not as up to date as other parts of the country with education. I understand from the locals that there is a lot of pride of "things being done as they always have been" due to the historical piece. However, there is a price that is paid with doing things the same way for years and never changing with the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area