Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 03:31 PM

100 posts, read 234,412 times

Advertisements

I live in Newport News currently and have lived in York County, Norfolk, Chesapeake, and Virginia Beach.

I would personally steer clear of Surry (nuclear power plant! call me old fashioned but something about that is a turn-off to me) and Smithfield (factories embroiled in lawsuits due to possible contamination issues). Also, unless you have $$ they're both pretty run-down. If you DO have $$ then there are some fantastic areas.

But if you have money, then honestly your best bet is going to be Williamsburg or Yorktown (York County). Both have Targets nearby, have that small-town vibe, and are just all-around fantastic areas.

If you do not have money, your best bet is Gloucester or Mathews County (in that order). Both are fantastic areas, have good schools, and are definitely small-town America right near the coast. Of course the weather is better than where you're coming from, but not the best for VA. But I don't think there's a Target near there...darn it!

OK, best all-around is Yorktown or Poquoson (next door to Yorktown). Personally, I think Poquoson is a mosquito-ridden hell-hole, but it's definitely a terrific small-town on the coast near a Target.

Try 4-Seasons Apt complex in Yorktown. I've lived there before. Behind it is a small forest (or there was, at any rate).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 03:51 PM

140 posts, read 540,537 times
Another vote for Poquoson if you are looking for a place with a small town feel. They are also known for great schools, low crime yet easy access to Hampton, Newport News, and York County. There are Targets in both Newport News and Hampton. Not all of Poquoson is plagued with mosquitos. The first house I owned in Poquoson did have a mosquito problem because it backed up to a marsh (had a wonderful view and no back door neighbors, though). Where I live now in Poquoson doesn't have any more mosquitos than the surrounding areas. Here's a link to a short video prepared by the city (not sure why the link has such a strange title):

ell_vp6_brain

Old 12-25-2009, 10:34 AM

10 posts, read 50,292 times
thank you so much!

Old 12-27-2009, 01:58 PM

90 posts, read 288,160 times
Virginia Beach is nice, it's not technically small but the Kempsville area is nice.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:08 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
There is really no place with a small town feel close to the ocean in this area.......Everything in this area is based off of providing for the tourist...Va Bch has close to a half a million people.....To get the small town feel you would have to look at either the Eastern Shore of Va or further south along the NC coastline, but finding a Target store would be difficult.

Also be prepared to pay top dollar for a location that is close to the ocean and also has great schools....

Old 12-28-2009, 08:11 AM

100 posts, read 234,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
There is really no place with a small town feel close to the ocean in this area.......Everything in this area is based off of providing for the tourist...
I think it's fair to say that there's nowhere on the southside that fits the bill. Virginia Beach is the only city really geared towards tourism.

I stick with my initial thoughts. Poquoson, Yorktown (though Yorktown is the most un-small of these...it almost shouldn't be on the list), Mathews County, and definitely Gloucester all fit the bill.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 7,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrak View Post
....... If you do not have money, your best bet is Gloucester or Mathews County (in that order). Both are fantastic areas, have good schools, and are definitely small-town America right near the coast. Of course the weather is better than where you're coming from, but not the best for VA. But I don't think there's a Target near there...darn it!......
There is a target on the north side of I-64 at exit 242 (Just east of the Williamsburg 238 exit). If someone purchased a home in southern Gloucester County (like Gloucester Point), they could be at work in as little as 15 minutes driving along the bank of the York River on one of the prettiest and least-congested roads in the area: the Colonial Parkway.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:01 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrak View Post

If you do not have money, your best bet is Gloucester or Mathews County (in that order). Both are fantastic areas, have good schools, and are definitely small-town America right near the coast. Of course the weather is better than where you're coming from, but not the best for VA.
My apologies for bumping an old thread but I'm trying to learn as much as I can about Gloucester Point area (Hayes) and came across the comment above. Any thoughts on the weather there? Is Gloucester more prone to storms than other parts of VA?

Weather-wise, how is it compared to the Williamsburg area? (In other words is it smarter to live in Williamsburg than Gloucester due to weather concerns?)

Old 03-24-2012, 05:01 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,007 times
Caladium,
My in laws live in Gloucester on the Ware River , past the courthouse area. There weather isn't really that much different than Williamsburg but they are way up the river and sort of protected as compared to some who live directly on the York or on Mobjack Bay. The only thing to watch out for is flood zones. Quite a bit of Hayes, Guinea and the southern parts of Gloucester are very low. That would be my only concern. To check a property put an address in the flood risk profile section of Floodsmart.gov If it says HIGH RISK, you then have to worry...

Old 03-24-2012, 08:55 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Thanks so much Mr. Williamsburg. Sadly, the Dockside Condos seem to be in a high risk flood zone. Bummer! That place looked like a good fit for us but I certainly do not want to deal with flood risks. Oh well, back to the drawing board. We've only just begun this search. Thanks for this site, it's going to be quite valuable I can see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area