U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:43 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,765,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
LOL you are so funny...Oh boy showing me a link where it shows the wage of an RN in the high 50's.... it took me about 2 seconds to google RN wages in Hampton Roads and find one showing mid 60's....either way that still more then the 50K you told her that her husband and her together would have to make in order to afford 1200 a month for an apartment....
If you also noticed, I said this as well, right after that

"Depending on what field he is in, thats a realistic target, especially with you being an RN, "

This is obviously stating that Im fairly confident that they would be able to meet the 50k, medical is more employable then most fields, and in most cases RNs pull down wages in access of how much theyd need as a household income. However, nothing is guaranteed. We have a 7% unemployment rate now too. It is completely possible neither of them would be able to secure employment in their fields. That is why basing rent off of potential wages is nuts. Now if they are trust fund babies, or getting help from somewhere else, then obviously that doesnt apply to them.

Sometimes I think you are so quick to attack peoples posts that you just ignore whole chunks of what you are criticizing.

Quote:
It's none of my business if this couple moves before or after they find a job....she was not asking advise on that.....Maybe they have a ton of money in savings or have family in the area to help them out.....again its none of my business...........
This is completely irrelavent. You obviously thought it neccessary to expand comment on my concern over them establishing a rent range without a job.

Quote:
She wanted to know what Va Bch was like and what hospitals were around town...I answered both of those questions for her....
So? I didnt criticize any of your posts, you criticized mine. This isnt about you answering the posters questions about Va Beach or the hospitals, this is about you attacking my comments about wages.

Quote:
If you feel it is your job to counsel them about how they should live their lives have at it....
I dont think its my job, however, if they believe that jobs are plentiful enough here that they can set a rent level, and simply move in, and put complete faith in finding something, I do think I should point out that maybe thats not the greatest idea. They are obviously free to take that with any amount of salt they wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 03:29 PM

26 posts, read 74,054 times
I guess that I should have been more specific. We will not move there unless my husband's job is an absolute guarantee; and I will obviously look more closely into getting a job myself BEFORE we move. We are just beginning our search, so I was just hoping for some helpful information. I DO know APPROXIMATELY what my husband will make if the job comes through, and I DO know what wages I can expect as a RN, and what other bills we have to pay etc., and THAT is how I based our monthly rent goal. I didn't just throw that number out there without some thought. Also, neither of us are trust fund babies or have anyone out there to help us out---I wish! That would definitely make things A LOT easier :-) Thank you both for your inputs, you've provided some very helpful information! I'll keep looking and look at the links that you both have posted...anything else you can think of please let me know, and again thank you!!

Old 02-01-2010, 09:13 PM

16 posts, read 27,008 times
Randomdude is a major bummer..lol
the health care field is one of the fastest growing, hampton roads is a huge metro, i think you will be fine finding a job, and no, 1200 per month is not much of a stretch for you and your husband, which from what i gather ( im also currently moving to the area) should mean you can find a pretty nice place! "

Old 02-02-2010, 06:34 AM

26 posts, read 74,054 times
cshumate1012,
What area are you looking at? Found any interesting/fun facts for another set of newcomers??

Old 02-02-2010, 07:07 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,765,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshumate1012 View Post
Randomdude is a major bummer..lol
the health care field is one of the fastest growing, hampton roads is a huge metro, i think you will be fine finding a job, and no, 1200 per month is not much of a stretch for you and your husband, which from what i gather ( im also currently moving to the area) should mean you can find a pretty nice place! "

Hampton Roads is the 35th largest MSA in the country, and will likely be passed up by the much faster growing Austin and Nashville MSA's, and has a smaller population then 5 US cities, and San Antonio and Dallas city propers will likely pass up Hampton Roads within a couple years. This is hardly "huge". Only Portsmouth and Norfolk have population density that would remind anyone of a "huge" metro.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:50 PM

6 posts, read 7,127 times
The Norva has great live music and there is plenty of nightlife and there are great places to shop in eat in downtown Norfolk and downtown Portsmouth. I would consider those places to be the 'happening areas' of HR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area