U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:34 AM

26 posts, read 74,039 times

Advertisements

Well, I have continued to search here and there in my spare time about apartments that we may be interested in. It seems 90% certain that we will be moving to Virginia Beach in May or June of this year. My husband and I will be making a trip out to Virginia Beach in April to do some actual apartment tours, but I need to narrow down my list first. As I mentioned in a previous post: My husband and I are both in our mid-late twenties; no children. We are just two young professionals looking forward to moving to a new area. We both like to get out and enjoy the night life...although I don't mean Vegas night life by ANY means...you have to understand; we come from a small town, and our version of having things to do is probably different than most. Being able to meet friends for some drinks and go out to dinner is a good night for us We aren't crazy partiers or anything...most of the time, that is, haha.

ANYWAY...what I really posted about is I need help narrowing down my search! I have looked at apartment after apartment...all online only because we dont live close enough to actually come and take tours as of yet. So, before we plan our trip I would appreciate some input on the apartments we have looked at thus far. Here goes...

Shoreline Apartments
4133 Shoreline Circle Va Beach

MapleBay Townhomes
356 South Chesire Court Va Beach

Ocean Pebbles Apts
1040 Ocean Pebbles Way Va Beach

Mayflower Seaside Towers
205 34th Street Va Beach

Marina Shores Apts
2257 Willow Oak Circle Va Beach

Lake Bradford Apts
2252 Pleasure House Road Va Beach

South Beach Apts
400 Eden Roc Circle Va Beach

We would like to keep rent around $1200. These are just some that I have narrowed down myself...we are looking for proximity to the beach...being inlanders all of our lives, we would to make the best of living in Virginia Beach Also, proximity to things to get out and do, both day and night. My husband has an employment opportunity at Dam Neck, and I am a RN and want to work in a hospital setting...I've been looking online at jobs and looks like there are LOTS for RNs...so that's always great!

**ALSO...I was wanting information on Chicks Beach...what apartments are near there? What's the area like?**

I know this post is kind of all over the place, but ANY information would be helpful to us! I don't expect anyone to review all of the apartments I mentioned, by any means... just some helpful tips if you have heard anything about the apartments mentioned above would be great! Thanks so much for your time!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 11:51 AM

I almost forgot about this one:

Saltmeadow Bay Apartments
757 Saltmeadow Bay Drive Va Beach

Old 02-16-2010, 06:33 PM

No one has any information?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:30 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,424,650 times
The only apartments that I am familiar with are Ocean Pebbles apts. I used to live off of Norfolk Ave. at the beach and these apts were directly behind me. They are several blocks away from the actual Oceanfront and they were decent places to live a few years ago. However, I am not sure what that area is like now.

As far as Chick's Beach is concerned, you will find homes that have been turned into duplexes or apts. There are some complexes off of Pleasure House Rd. as well. That area can be quite expensive but I really love that part of the beach. There are some little bars nearby that have live music and not too much of a club scene. Hot Tuna can get a little "cluby" but the food is good and I have seen some great bands there. Half Shell and The Reef are pretty laid-back places to see live local music. Hell's Kitchen is off Look Out Rd. and that is a neat little place, too. Bubba's is a great place for seafood/drinks which is right on the water and not real expensive. Chick's Oyster Bar can be fun as well. CP Shuckers opened up another place off Shore Dr. but I like the one at the Oceanfront better.

Hope this helps a little bit! Good luck with your move!

Old 02-17-2010, 07:34 AM

Yes it does help, thank you so much!

Old 02-18-2010, 11:34 PM

57 posts, read 187,484 times
My wife and I do not have kids and have lived in VB through most of our 20's and 30's...so I hope this helps...

Maple Bay -

We lived here several years. Amazing location, basically the upscale Hilltop shopping center is at your front door..Target and Trader Joe's are within walking distance. Your own low traffic access to the 264 entrance is at your back door. These are 2 story townhomes with 1, 2 or 3 bedrooms. Downstairs living room always seemed a little small to me, but it's ok. Depending on the unit you choose and your neighbors, you could have noise issues to deal with. Better to get a unit on the end or next to a firewall so you at least have noise only coming from one side. Two units we lived in were fine, the third was a nightmare as the neighbors were a bunch of military guys who played their Playstation through their stereo system all day and night. Way too far to walk to the beach. Jet noise = yes, but manageable.

Ocean Pebbles

Solid beach location. There is a small shopping center with a restaurant, ok-ish pizza place, average chinese food place and convenience store within walking distance. A recently built jogging/biking trail across the street runs all the way from these apartments down to the beach. Kind of a long walk, but would go by fairly quickly if you ran it. A great sandwich shop (Tad's) and taco place (Gringo's) are about 3/4 of the way down. The bad news is the neighborhoods in the other direction (West) are not so hot. Across the street you will notice the ghettorific Atlantis Apts, but they did do the courtesy of putting up a chain link fence between it and the jogging trail. A small lower middle class neighborhood sits behind the shopping center I mentioned. Management of the complex is good, and the environment of the complex itself is nice. The units I've been in were one story and had a nice size joined kitchen/dining/living area with a bedroom and full bath on either end of the unit. The interiors of the units are ok, nothing fancy. I'm not sure if there are two story units in the rented complex (the similar non-rental complex, Land's End, is right next door) Jet noise = yup.

Mayflower

This is an older high-rise unit like you would find in a big city, complete with parking deck, elevators and full-time security guard. I've never been in the apartments within. I don't really think they are all that much, but I could be wrong. What you are getting here, obviously, is incredible location, with the beach right across the street. The end of the beach north of 31st is also much less raucous than the south end. At the base of the building are a decent Greek place and a new place called Boneheads which looks to be a small-ish bar/restaurant. Decent pizza place called North End around the corner. Terrible Hilton-owned Pi Pizza around the other corner. A few blocks up are the highly regarded Isle of Capri (in the Holiday Inn) and Eat. Jet noise = you're right on the flight path, but they are a little higher up at this location, so it's not a big deal.

Marina Shores

At the corner of Great Neck and Shore, so you are up on the "north end" here. This is a more upscale area, with million dollar homes and yacht clubs nearby. You are very removed from the "oceanfront scene" up here, you're in the "chick's beach" scene area. Nearby is a nightclub, Hot Tuna, which is decent, and the new "Bloom" Food-Lion affiliated supermarket (where you check out the groceries on your own scanner as you shop). Pretty easy walk to the beach. Buildings are suspended above ground, like you'd see on flood-prone beachfront homes. Interiors are nice and modern and definitely have a more upscale feel. Down shore drive to the east you will find some cool places such as Half-Shell, like Emerald Girls said. It's like an alternate Oceanfront life, but away from the touristy stuff. Jet noise = no.

South Beach

This complex is probably about 10 years old, at the corner of Birdneck and 264. Basically, the 264 exit comes right to your front door, literally. Private sliding gates to the complex (when they are not broken). Upscale environment and feel to the units. They are stacked three floors high, so if you don't get a building with an elevator, you will be getting a lot of exercise. Right next door to the Doubletree Hotel. There is not much to walk to. On the other side of the fence is a McDonald's. To your north is the highway, to the south is an area you don't want to go walking through at night. Too far to walk to the beach, unless you've got some time. This is definitely for busy people with cars who want an upscale area right off the highway, but don't need to walk around to anything. Jet noise = ridiculous.

Also, keep in mind VB Oceanfront is not crazy, night life city or anything. Definitely not a food mecca either. There are several very cool and nice restaurants (Croc's, Zoe's, Terrapin), but no truly great diner type places (except maybe 58 Diner, inland). The VB oceanfront is just a bunch of touristy family oriented T-shirt shops and terrible seafood buffets. It's very sad. A small cluster of bars sits on Atlantic in the 21st/22nd street area. They are more military/young people type bars. That doesn't mean there is not a cool vibe on the Boardwalk on a nice sunny day. But once night comes you'll probably want to hang out at Croc's or something like that given your age and status.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:55 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,897,828 times
va Rentals and Rental Listings in va Beach,VA&flv=1

Old 02-21-2010, 12:13 PM

124 posts, read 233,439 times
Definitely check out Saltmeadow Bay. It is new and clean with above average closet space.
Plus, it is 5 or 6 blocks to the oceanfront!

Old 02-21-2010, 06:30 PM

Thank you guys so much! Thortonm, that was a lot of information, and so so helpful....exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much for taking the time to help us out!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:51 PM

115 posts, read 265,070 times
I recommend Maple Bay Townhomes. I think they start out around $1200 They are spacious, clean, and recently remodeled. Like the above poster said you will be near a lot of shops, bars, restaurants, gas stations, etc. Also, there is a pretty nice bowling ally nearby if you and husband like to bowl. Also, you would only have about 7-10 min drive to the oceanfront. Downsides are: if you are from a small town (less than 200k pop.) the rush hour traffic and the aggressive tailgating may take some time to get used to, and jet noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area