Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:12 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Randondude I see this has turned into one of your favorite quotes as of late...I would like to know where you are getting your info from as the US only does a cencus every ten years and that was back in 2000......There was a local "estimate" done between 2005-2007 depending on which city you are talking about but that is all it really was....I would think you would have to wait until the cencus is completed this year before you can really make comments like this

1. Im getting my info from the infamous report you posted what, six or seven months ago now? I believe it was a 2008 study on either the area of Virginia Beach, which makes up about 1/3 of the population in Hampton Roads alone. You tried to use it to prove something you argued, but instead, it ended up proving just about every claim I made. At that point, I pointed out that the only falling demographic was the 25-35 demographic, and Ive used it since. Its also the very same report that quantified my claim that the wage income in the area is significantly lower then the US, even though the household income is higher.

2. When I can use the US Census Bureau Data I will, until then, I will use the available information. If the US Census Bureau turns around this claim, then I will cease to make it. However, I highly doubt it will. My guess is it highlights it nicely. The fact is, in many cases, the ocean and a generally low crime rate is not enough of an attraction to keep upwardly mobile people floundering in a place they will NEVER get ahead in on wage income alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 11:08 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
Its really not that bad honestly. You are one of those NY'ers that aggrivate me. What part of NY are you from anyway?

My ex is from the bronx (183rd and Prospect) and a lot of her family is from Harlem (122nd between 7th and 8th) and they are true New Yorkers and a lot of them have moved down here and dont talk bad like you do about here. They actually have adopted it as their second home by choice. They also have tons of friends from the city who have moved here to one of the 7 cities. Oh and they are Puerto Rican mixed with Black. All of them are doing pretty well and enjoy it for what it is even though its no NYC. So Im starting to think you make negative comments just for a reaction, which I willingly gave you this time.
Oh wow she is not that far from where I am from. I'm from the bronx too, from Crotona Park.

Quote:
Thank you Mr World Traveler for such great info....it sure is nice to have people like yourself that has lived in every city there is in order to make comments like that......or either you are full of BS.....which one is it?
Well, it is extremely slow here. I don't have patience for people that walk sooo slow or drive like "granny's". The people do not know how to drive. Also Hampton Roads lack diversity. Public transportation here is not that good either. Older people like in their 50's think they are superior to the younger folks, and talk down on them as well. I have never experienced this until I moved here. I am always arguing with this type of people here. Also an older person tried to skip me in the line. I told him that I was in the line to get back back of me. Geez why do people have to be like that here? Back in NYC everybody treat everybody the same. Also there is not much to do here...

Old 02-24-2010, 12:49 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,862,408 times
Maybe since the area does not have a major sports team could be a contributing factor?? I just noticed in other cities that have a major sports team that there was a common thread throughout the community for that reason. Just an off the wall observation.....

Being such a transient location is probably one of the main reasons though in respect to the lack of hometown pride in HR.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:07 PM

492 posts, read 1,026,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
Maybe since the area does not have a major sports team could be a contributing factor?? I just noticed in other cities that have a major sports team that there was a common thread throughout the community for that reason. Just an off the wall observation.....

Being such a transient location is probably one of the main reasons though in respect to the lack of hometown pride in HR.
Sometimes I think this is why we will never get any type of professional team (on top of other reasons)

Old 02-24-2010, 01:18 PM

486 posts, read 1,948,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post

I agree. I'm from Alabama and when I see someone in an Alabama football shirt, it's instant comaraderie. They are usually from there, or are U of A alum, which my parents were, so there's instantly that connection. It happened to me in Kroger in Richmond a couple of weeks ago.
If someone tells me they're from Virginia Beach, I'm like "oh, I have a condo there, do you fish?". That's about where it ends. I don't know what else to talk about regarding the area.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:30 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Oh wow she is not that far from where I am from. I'm from the bronx too, from Crotona Park.

Well, it is extremely slow here. I don't have patience for people that walk sooo slow or drive like "granny's". The people do not know how to drive. Also Hampton Roads lack diversity. Public transportation here is not that good either. Older people like in their 50's think they are superior to the younger folks, and talk down on them as well. I have never experienced this until I moved here. I am always arguing with this type of people here. Also an older person tried to skip me in the line. I told him that I was in the line to get back back of me. Geez why do people have to be like that here? Back in NYC everybody treat everybody the same. Also there is not much to do here...
You hit the nail on the head there.

Most people here are not friendly and just about always down right rude.

Racial tensions are fairly high as well. I see a lot of racism coming from African Americans men and women as well as Caucasian males.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:59 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,862,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrichmond View Post
If someone tells me they're from Virginia Beach, I'm like "oh, I have a condo there, do you fish?". That's about where it ends. I don't know what else to talk about regarding the area.
....I have run into similar scenarios here in FL when I tell people where I am originally from. "Oh, I think my third cousin twice removed was stationed there." Or, "I went on there for Spring Break one year, we would get fined if we got caught swearing..." Not too much dialogue being exchanged.

In all fairness, I have not encountered any people bashing the area either.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:41 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post

Ok...nice spin but what does any of that have to do with your original comment?

Old 02-24-2010, 06:06 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
1. Im getting my info from the infamous report you posted what, six or seven months ago now? I believe it was a 2008 study on either the area of Virginia Beach, which makes up about 1/3 of the population in Hampton Roads alone. You tried to use it to prove something you argued, but instead, it ended up proving just about every claim I made. At that point, I pointed out that the only falling demographic was the 25-35 demographic, and Ive used it since. Its also the very same report that quantified my claim that the wage income in the area is significantly lower then the US, even though the household income is higher.

2. When I can use the US Census Bureau Data I will, until then, I will use the available information. If the US Census Bureau turns around this claim, then I will cease to make it. However, I highly doubt it will. My guess is it highlights it nicely. The fact is, in many cases, the ocean and a generally low crime rate is not enough of an attraction to keep upwardly mobile people floundering in a place they will NEVER get ahead in on wage income alone.

Thats cool I was just interested in where you were getting your info to see if you were using something I have not used in the past....I do have Va Bch's 2010's estimates that were just released somewhere..... I will have to try and find it and compare it to their older study from 2-3 years ago and see what changes there were...

One thing that did surprise me that I found was that Va Bch has one of the youngest median age groups in the Nation.... The age distribution was 27.5% under the age of 18, 10.0% from 18 to 24, 34.3% from 25 to 44, 19.8% from 45 to 64, and 8.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was only 33 years old. I personally thought the median age would be a little older but again Va Bch or the state of Virginia as a whole is not known to be very friendly towards retirees so that does make some sense

It will be interesting to see how that may change with the new census

Last edited by rtandc; 02-24-2010 at 06:14 PM..

Old 02-25-2010, 08:08 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:

One thing that did surprise me that I found was that Va Bch has one of the youngest median age groups in the Nation.... The age distribution was 27.5% under the age of 18, 10.0% from 18 to 24, 34.3% from 25 to 44, 19.8% from 45 to 64, and 8.4% who were 65 years of age or older.

I would not be surprised to see such a high level of kids. Nor would I be that surprised to see a low median age. After all, with such a high number of military members, thats almost a given.

However, I would be very interested in comparing 2010 numbers to 2000 numbers. My guess is that the 18-24 numbers probably rose as a percent, since more kids are stuck living with their parents as Hampton Roads has increasingly become unaffordable, but I would put money on it that the 25-44 shrunk, and the 45-64 rose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area