Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 08:40 PM

361 posts, read 1,465,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steflee55 View Post
Damien, what is the commute like from York county to Va Beach? And also what are some nice areas to live in Newport News? I am moving to the area and have never been before. My brother is from Norfolk & he has warned me not to live in Newport News because it's crappy and dangerous (gangs, crime, etc.) I too want to be able to jog comfortably or walk my dog...also safety is a big issue for me as well
Well, it depends on what part of YC to what part of VB; lets say Tabb in YC to Pembroke in VA beach, you are going with traffic in the AM to the southside and back to the Pen in the PM, so plan for at LEAST 45 min to well over an hour, summertime pushing 1.5 hours.
Your brother who is living in Norfolk and is warning you about living in NN? calling kettle black. Most crime in NN is concentrated in the East End near 664 and parts of Denbigh along Warwick blvd. Most of teh city is fine. If you are looking for trails to walk and nature, check out the Riverside, Hidenwood and Warwick on the James neighborhoods. the noland trail is right nearby and it is very nice, beautiful and safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 02:57 AM

80 posts, read 205,042 times
thanks for the info. My brother is from Norfolk, but he moved out of VA.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:06 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunbanker View Post
About to take a job around the City Center area and was really impressed with the Williamsburg area when we visited it. How bad of a commute is the I-64 corridor going to and from Newport News from the Williamsburg area?

Also, we will be looking to rent a home instead of condo or apartment as we have a few dogs. Are there any suggestions of other areas that don't have a bad commute time (30-45 mins) into Newport News? I understand living in Norfolk or anywhere on the Southside is generallly not a good idea with the tunnel and all, but what about any other specific areas on the Peninsula?

Also, how bad is traffic on the James River Bridge during rush hour?
I took some pretty solid advice from this board when I moved here. I work at Ft Eustis and live in the Churchland area, just south of the Monitor-Merrimac tunnel (around exit 8, 9, 10). My *average* commute is 45-50 minutes-and my work is a good bit farther than where you would be living.

Worth considering. Monitor-Merrimac is very, very rarely backed up, and I religiously check traffic reports-the very few times it is, I just divert to James River Bridge. I've only been late once during a major accident in the tunnel and I'd gotten a late start, anyway.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 AM

23 posts, read 82,769 times
I live in williamsburg and teach in virginia beach. The commute isnt that bad...really. I am on the road by 5:30am and I leave school around 3:15 every day. Friday is the worst day trying to get home. I love Williamsburg, however, we are thinking about moving to VA Beach in another year. Your commute is not bad at all to City Center. Williamsburg is an expensive area to live...my husband and I always say.."we could not afford to move to williamsburg now!!" Very quiet and quaint. Great schools, shopping. Everything you need within a 20 minute drive.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anknee View Post
I live in williamsburg and teach in virginia beach. The commute isnt that bad...really. I am on the road by 5:30am and I leave school around 3:15 every day. Friday is the worst day trying to get home. I love Williamsburg, however, we are thinking about moving to VA Beach in another year. Your commute is not bad at all to City Center. Williamsburg is an expensive area to live...my husband and I always say.."we could not afford to move to williamsburg now!!" Very quiet and quaint. Great schools, shopping. Everything you need within a 20 minute drive.
Well, leaving at 5:30 in the AM is definitely better for dealing with traffic than at 730/800. Big difference in traffic volume between those times. Same with the PM commute. Jefferson/Ft eustis does not begin to backup until around 415 to 430

Old 03-01-2010, 11:22 AM

254 posts, read 1,207,751 times
I'd recommend Coventry area in Yorktown Tabb area. It's smaller than Kiln Creek, but we also have two community pools for summertime, paved and lighted walking paths, and I believe our HOA is better from what I've heard of certain areas in Kiln Creek. Same great York County schools. My neighbors all work in City Center area and it only takes them 5 minutes to drive. It's also very central on the peninsula at the HWY17 exit (J. Clyde Morris).

Old 03-01-2010, 12:02 PM

Coventry/Tabb Lakes is a very nice area, secluded, yet minutes from City Center, two interstate exits, shopping and restaurants. The area forms a triangle with 17, 143 and the York County Line on a map

Old 03-02-2010, 03:20 PM

140 posts, read 540,657 times
I work in Center Center and agree that you might want to Kiln Creek as well as several areas in York County for a relatively easy commute. I live in Poquoson, so I have to pass through York County and I consistently get to work in under 20 minutes. If you send me a little more criteria (min bedrooms, baths, square feet) I'd be happy to send you some rental listings that allow pets. From there you will probably have to contact each one individually to see if they will allow 3 dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area