Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 09:05 AM

27 posts, read 59,754 times

Advertisements

Will be working in the City Center/Oyster Point area and obviously I am trying to stay on the peninsula and away from the commutes of the tunnels, but there are only so many rentals in the marketplace that fit my situation.

Can anyone comment on how bad the commute time would be coming from the Va Beach area into City Center/Oyster Point???

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 12:43 PM

23 posts, read 50,949 times
From 6-8 weekday mornings and around 4-6 in the afternoons will be a NIGHTmare. Allow 2 hours' travel time either way, if it's that time of day you will be traveling. I hate that tunnel. Or more accurately, how people are afraid to drive through it, which is what causes the traffic nightmares.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:27 PM

361 posts, read 1,464,851 times
I would not do it; the tunnels, especially in the summertime are horrible. Plus, you will also be commuting with naval base traffic in the AM on the way to Norfolk and in the PM hitting it on the way back to the beach after the tunnel.
I am sure you could find rentals on teh peninsula that fit your criteria

Old 03-03-2010, 03:01 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunbanker View Post
Will be working in the City Center/Oyster Point area and obviously I am trying to stay on the peninsula and away from the commutes of the tunnels, but there are only so many rentals in the marketplace that fit my situation.

Can anyone comment on how bad the commute time would be coming from the Va Beach area into City Center/Oyster Point???

Thanks!!
If price is an issue, then the peninsula is actually the cheaper area in Hampton Roads.

And like the others say the commute will be a nightmare.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:19 PM

39 posts, read 100,544 times
I wouldn't do it. I live in City Center and this past summer I went to VB to pick up my car and it took 2 hours to get there.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:00 PM

51 posts, read 149,141 times
that would be a very unnecessary and aggrevating commute. What's your apt. situation? You can't find anyting on the pennisula?

Old 03-08-2010, 02:23 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,330,751 times
Yes I am very surprised that you are not finding something that meets your needs on the peninsula. However, you may have to compromise a bit - the aggrevation will not be worth it in the long run. The HRBT is the worst tunnel in the area IMHO.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:34 PM

27 posts, read 59,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptfcNassoc View Post
that would be a very unnecessary and aggrevating commute. What's your apt. situation? You can't find anyting on the pennisula?
Have found a coupld of houses on the Peninsula. I have three dogs so Apartments are all but out. Have to go the house route and those are either hit or miss as far as looks and location, or don't allow three dogs.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:49 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,015,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunbanker View Post
Have found a coupld of houses on the Peninsula. I have three dogs so Apartments are all but out. Have to go the house route and those are either hit or miss as far as looks and location, or don't allow three dogs.
I would look further out into James city county/Williamsburg etc before I would even think about having to deal with the tunnel...you want to live and work on the same side of the tunnel

Old 03-09-2010, 05:25 PM

69 posts, read 231,997 times
that would be ridiculous. i work in oyster point and live in oyster point and sometimes the traffic will be so bad the 5 minute drive will take 25 minutes... just sayin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area