Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 10:15 AM

11 posts, read 42,447 times

Advertisements

How is it to live in Northern Suffolk? We are looking for a very safe family friendly neighborhood. Just wondering how Northern Suffolk compares to other areas? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 11:58 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times
I would say Northern Suffolk is one of the safest areas in all of HR's. It is a little shaddy right near the Walmart on College Drive (near the MMBT), but Harbor View, Bennetts Creek and all up the 17 corridor is a very quiet, safe area. However, it is still close to the mall, shopping and the rest of HR.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:14 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
It depends too on your view. If you are used to living in a major metro area you might feel this area is a bit out of the way - though it is growing a lot. Northern Suffolk is on the fringes of the larger cities in Hampton Roads. That said everything is pretty new and it's definately up and coming. Good luck!

Old 03-25-2010, 02:43 PM

179 posts, read 489,400 times
Northern Suffolk is nice, but you still have to deal with Suffolk schools... the elementary is pretty good and the middle is ok but crowded, the high schools are not what I was looking for. In terms of nice safe areas it is good in that regard, you will have a dive to get to most places other than Newport News and parts of Norfolk but if you live in Suffolk at all you get used to driving quite a bit to go anywhere.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:43 AM

61 posts, read 155,505 times
I have friends that live in Northern Suffolk, and they like the shopping, but they don't like the schools, library, and some city government issues. I have lived 15 minutes away near Chesapeake Mall--(off Portsmouth Blvd. ) for four years with my family. We are in the Chittum/Western Branch school zone and have been delighted with the schools. Our schools are not new, but they have a stable, happy group of teachers and students. My family will transfer to Charlotte during the summer, but we will miss this area. There are a lot of homes with big lots, because the homes were built when land was cheap. Our home is an updated 1970's colonial on .6acres with mature trees and garden spots. Suffolk homes are often bigger, but many of the homes lack large lots with mature trees and roast in the summer. I guess this is the same for newer homes in most areas though.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:55 PM

68 posts, read 241,898 times
Yeah, like some others have said, North Suffolk is where you'll find most things in the city of Suffolk. This is true especially for the Harbour View community that features the movie theatre, shopping, and it seems every month a new addition to the area is popping up.

Also, the city has a planned 'Harbour View Towne Center' in the works, a TJ Maxx, Pet Smart, and other exciting additions planned. For the kids, the Tony Hawk foundation is also installing a skate park within the Bennetts Creek area next year which should be fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area