Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:38 AM

98 posts, read 178,895 times

Advertisements

Morning!

My husband I and will be relocating to the area within 9-12 months probably somewhere near the Norfolk/Suffolk areas.

We're looking for a house and haven't determined which way to go: chesapeake area OR somewhere a bit further where we could have a bit of room. We don't want a McMansion and don't want to live in a laser-sited, choose-from-one-of-four designed house developments. We also don't want the houses to be so tight you could spit on your neighbor from the kitchen window.

I'd take any and all input.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 07:13 PM

61 posts, read 155,487 times
I live in Western Branch Chesapeake in (Raleigh Place)a waterfront subdivision started in the 1970's, but it has some newer homes too. The lots are large (mine is .6 acres). and my neighborhood has $260,000 ranchers and $700,000 homes with piers. There are quite a few Western Branch neighborhoods similar to mine. We like the schools, shopping, city services, large lots and mature trees, YMCA, and lack of traffic in our area.
If you don't have kids, I like Smithfield. You will find lots of housing variety there, and the downtown is beautiful and has lots of fun community events.
I have friends in Suffolk and Smithfield, and they like the towns but don't recommend the public schools. Western Branch schools are very good though. My children love Chittum, but I have heard good things about the other schools too.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:46 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,330,751 times
You don't say anything about schools. As the other poster said, Western Branch is a nice, safe family oriented area with good schools. All the schools are located together which is nice. The homes are solid older homes as well as newer homes and all have good sized lots - nothing cookie cutter in Western Branch.

If you want really nice sized lots (all the way up to farm size, Northern Suffolk could be your dream lol. Still close to civilization yet nice and quiet and safe. I don't know about the schools, but the word on the street is that they are ok (not the best, not the worst).

When you start hearing about the Greenbrier area in Chesapeake - that is more cookie cutter and houses can be all crammed together. That area is very suburban with tons of shopping and restaurants, but it is crowded too.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:31 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,448,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where'sHome? View Post
Morning!

My husband I and will be relocating to the area within 9-12 months probably somewhere near the Norfolk/Suffolk areas.

We're looking for a house and haven't determined which way to go: chesapeake area OR somewhere a bit further where we could have a bit of room. We don't want a McMansion and don't want to live in a laser-sited, choose-from-one-of-four designed house developments. We also don't want the houses to be so tight you could spit on your neighbor from the kitchen window.

I'd take any and all input.

Thank you!
What is your age group? What do you do for a living? Like the other poster stated..do you have school age children if you have children?

Old 04-13-2010, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,176 times
Dual Navy here with 3 kids. Wife is going to be stationed at NOB, I will be right off of Terminal BLVD. We are debating Navy housing or not, sounds like a great deal, however I am seeing posts of crime and gangs etc. IS this still accurate? Would I be better off living out in town. I have to take day care and kindergarten into consideration as well. HELP!!!?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:20 AM

88 posts, read 254,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryck6877 View Post
Dual Navy here with 3 kids. Wife is going to be stationed at NOB, I will be right off of Terminal BLVD. We are debating Navy housing or not, sounds like a great deal, however I am seeing posts of crime and gangs etc. IS this still accurate? Would I be better off living out in town. I have to take day care and kindergarten into consideration as well. HELP!!!?
Larchmont.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:41 AM

Thank you for your help! Hope you don't mind if I keep asking questions.....

We don't have to worry about the schools (we're late 40's and our kids are on to college) unless it would be an issue in case we ever wanted to sell. What are your thoughts on that?

When you say Western Branch Chesapeake is that an area or zip code that I can look up on the various real estate websites?

I like the description of Western Branch.
I love trees and would prefer not to be taking my life in my hands if I go out for a bike ride.....

Can you give me descriptions of Smithfield (which was on my list to check out BTW..) and Northern Suffolk. I noticed a chuckle in the post above....

Thank you for any and all help you can send my way.

PS - we're not military.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:18 PM

61 posts, read 155,487 times
I live in Western Branch and my zip code is 23321. My neighborhood is called Raleigh Place across from Chittum Elementary School (K-5---a really good school with lots of parent involvement/ see GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community to confirm this) & there are four homes for sale.

Smithfield is a beautiful small , older town, but I had two friends teaching in the public schools there, and they were anxious to get out of the system. The downtown is picturesque and has fun parades and festival. There is a lot of nice housing in Smithfield-- both old and new.

Suffolk has lots of newer housing and shopping. It's schools are adequate. When I moved to this area, a professor from ODU recommended that I stick with Chesapeake schools. I can't say enough good things about Chittum Elementary. My children have blossomed under creative, understanding, intelligent teachers. The school has fun festivals, field days, book fairs, and programs. I have heard good things about the other Western Branch schools too though, especially the administration at Joliff Middle.

The Greenbrier area of Chesapeake seems to have traffic issues and new cookie cutter housing. I think that there are good schools there too.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:21 AM

179 posts, read 489,355 times
Also you can get a nice older home in the Great Bridge section of Chesapeake, they have larger lots are all brick, and have plenty of charm. The schools are great and it is very family friendly. The Hickory area of Chesapeake also has some older homes on land but be prepared to pay more and drive a bit. Also you do need to be mindful of jet noise. Hickory schools are also great. I live in the Grassfield area of Chesapeake and really like it. Great schools not a lot of big lots, but very family friendly neighborhoods.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:17 AM

Marnay - where will the jet noise be the most bothersome? And is this military, commercial or both? My questions may seem silly to some, but I'm trying to get a lay of the land before we come down to scope things out.

Thank you for your help! Keep your thoughts and insights coming - they're very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area