U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:11 AM

18 posts, read 44,263 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Norfolk for a job in August, and I've been perusing the Hampton Roads Forum to get a good idea of what the area is like for some time now. Have a few questions based on what I've observed or things that haven't been addressed yet, if anyone would care to help me out:

-Some posts speak about how unfriendly the area is, and others speak about how friendly the area is--Why the disparity, and which is true? I'm sure there's a mix of friendly and unfriendly people there, just like any other metropolitan area, but which would you say predominates?

-I like to run outside, preferably on a running trail. Are there any trails in Norfolk? What about outside of Norfolk? I'll be living in Ghent and will be working downtown, so anything too far away would likely only be doable on a weekend.

-If I were to head to Richmond on a Friday afternoon after work, is taking 460 to I-95 a feasible option? Seems like the extra distance would outweigh the traffic in one of the tunnels.

-I hear Ghent is safe, but what about at night? Could I walk home from the bars at 1am by myself and not have to worry? Also, when is last call in Norfolk?

-Is it frequent to travel between the different cities for entertainment, food, etc., or do most people stay confined to their own city?

I know these are a lot of questions, so if you have the answer for just one, please feel free to respond. Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 02:16 PM

Thought of another question--any good gyms in Ghent?

Old 04-28-2010, 02:55 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,212,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norfolk2543 View Post
I'm moving to Norfolk for a job in August, and I've been perusing the Hampton Roads Forum to get a good idea of what the area is like for some time now. Have a few questions based on what I've observed or things that haven't been addressed yet, if anyone would care to help me out:

-Some posts speak about how unfriendly the area is, and others speak about how friendly the area is--Why the disparity, and which is true? I'm sure there's a mix of friendly and unfriendly people there, just like any other metropolitan area, but which would you say predominates?

-I like to run outside, preferably on a running trail. Are there any trails in Norfolk? What about outside of Norfolk? I'll be living in Ghent and will be working downtown, so anything too far away would likely only be doable on a weekend.

-If I were to head to Richmond on a Friday afternoon after work, is taking 460 to I-95 a feasible option? Seems like the extra distance would outweigh the traffic in one of the tunnels.

-I hear Ghent is safe, but what about at night? Could I walk home from the bars at 1am by myself and not have to worry? Also, when is last call in Norfolk?

-Is it frequent to travel between the different cities for entertainment, food, etc., or do most people stay confined to their own city?

I know these are a lot of questions, so if you have the answer for just one, please feel free to respond. Thanks in advance for your help!
Where are you moving from?

Old 04-29-2010, 08:43 AM

134 posts, read 479,349 times
Quote:
I've been here my whole life and have never considered the people here to be unfriendly in general.

Quote:
Check out the Elizabeth River Trail. It goes from West Ghent to downtown.
Attractions - Downtown Norfolk

Norfolk doesn't have a lot of green space so if you want to run in the woods you will need to venture to another city. There are plenty of trails in VA Beach and Chesapeake though.

Quote:
The main hurdle would be getting through either the HRBT or midtown tunnel. I would probably just take 64.

Quote:
I'd feel safe walking home alone at 1am. Last call is usually 1:30-1:45 and they close by 2:00.

Quote:
Yes. Each city has their own "town center" and entertainment and shopping amenities. On the weekends I sometimes find myself driving through all 7 cities.

As far as gyms...there are a couple of gyms around Ghent and downtown. One Life Fitness is the biggest one which also has 4 or 5 other locations you can use around the metro. Downtown you have the YMCA(a large one), Downtown Gym, and Fitness First. Fitness First is supposed to be an upscale gym with a large staff to member ratio.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:30 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,427,913 times
Quote:

The area is generally friendly I guess. Every place will have their nice and not-so-nice people. Ghent is pretty safe but just be aware of your surroundings at night. I have encountered some shady circumstances late night. I would not usually go out by myself after 11:00 pm.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:51 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,910,449 times
I find this area to be very friendly, been here 25 years after living abroad and stationed here, there and everywhere. It's what you make of it and your persona when you are in public.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:04 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,773,929 times
Quote:

The disparity is mostly due to the fact that in Hampton Roads, there are two people, those who hate it, and those who love it.

People who hate it generally are

- Younger
- Come from more urban areas, and enjoy urban areas
- Liberal
- A race that isnt black or white
- Highly educated or professional

People who like it generally are

- Older, and purchased housing long before it became unaffordable, or are independently wealthy, and do not depend on the substandard wage incomes
- Laid back, do not care much for hussle and bussle
- Conservative
- Value the beach and proximity to the ocean

Often how you feel about the area will tend to influence your opinion on many factors of the area. People who hate the area in general are far more likely to have a bad opinion of the attitudes of people in the area then someone who likes the area.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:40 PM

1,653 posts, read 5,012,677 times
I think mikeas hit the nail on the head. My thoughts exactly.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:43 AM

129 posts, read 299,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
People who hate it generally are

- Younger

- A race that isnt black or white
- Highly educated or professional
ah haha, nailed it.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:55 PM

Thanks for all the information, folks.

Have another question for y'all: Ghent vs. Freemason? I was originally set on living in Ghent, but I explored the city a few weeks ago and Freemason looked pretty nice. It seems like the downsides to Freemason are that there aren't that many restaurants/bars, and I'm guessing it's less safe than Ghent, being right next to downtown. Can someone confirm or deny?

Also, are there any blogs about Norfolk food, events, culture, etc.? 24sevencities.com has been the only site that I've been able to find that has good food reviews, lists events, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area