Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 7,591 times

Advertisements

We are a familiy moving from Jacksonville, Florida to the area, have three kids, two in elementary, one that will be starting highschool. Looking for opinions on where we should be looking. Good schools are one of our top priorities. Have been looking into Poquoson and it's schools, Yorktown area with emphisis on Tabb and Grafton high schools. Our high school student is good baseball player and wants some place where he could make the team (realize that it is sometimes difficult to break in if you are the newbie). We would really appreciate any information that you'd like to share.
Also what is the air traffic like on State Road 620 coming of the Newport international airport? Seems like it is in the flight path. Several homes for sale in that area.
Thanks for any info. you can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 11:35 AM

140 posts, read 538,654 times
Welcome to VA! When my family and I decided to settle in the area several years ago, we looked closely at the schools as well and those same areas were on our short list, as our a primary emphasis was on the schools. We ended up in Poquoson, mainly due to the limited choices in both York and Poquoson at the time.

Last year, Poquoson won the State Championship in baseball and I believe they are currently undefeated this year. That's no small feat for such a small town. Grafton has had great teams in the past, but are struggling this year. My broker's son just graduated from Grafton HS with a baseball scholarship and is doing quite well. Grafton really needs pitchers from what I understand. What position does your son play?

As far as airplane noise, planes do fly over that area (Lakeside Dr in Yorktown) but I don't know if it is that intrusive. The Newport News/Williamsburg Intl Airport is not really all that large. I believe the airports in Norforlk and Richmond are more of the major hubs. That area in York County is a very desireable area. As for Poquoson, you will likely hear the jets from Langley AFB, but you really do get used to it.

Did you know that Poquoson actually has a Primary (K-2) and Elementary (3-5) school? The elementary school is a brand new state of the art school.

Please let me know if I can help in any way!

Old 04-30-2010, 08:18 PM

36 posts, read 110,524 times
Both York County and Poquoson have great schools. One thing to look out for in Poquoson and parts of York County is flood zones. We are surrounded by water here. The airport really isn't an issue. I have lived close to the airport for a long time and rarely even noticed any signs of the airport - most of the flights come in over the commercial area over Jefferson Ave.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 7,591 times
Thanks so much for the information! Glad to learn that the airport is really a non-issue. Airtraffic from the base wouldn't be a problem as we are use to that. We have been a little scared off of Poquoson due to the water damage some of the houses may have sustained (black mold) following your last big storm; and the extra cost of flood insurance.
We are coming from Jacksonville, where the housing market has really taken a hit. We are currently trying to sell our home, and hoping that the government's HAP program comes through for us. It's quite depressing when here in Florida you can now purchase a brand new or nearly new home with all the bells and whistles and a pool for less that you can purchase a 1980's spllit level in Yorktown with little or no up grades. Has the market there dropped or not?
We are still trying to figure out which high school we should focus on, be it Tabb, Grafton or Poquoson. We've heard that fitting into Poquoson may be difficult for the kids; is there any truth to this? Having been raised in a small town I understand that mentality; I just figured being so close to Langley that there would be a good bit of newcomers.
Our son will be a freshman this year, he's quick and is mainly an infielder (3rd base), but he pitches too; he can play every position but catcher. I know it seems silly to be concerned about baseball; but to him it is extremely important. We definitely plan on staying in the area until he graduates, and quite possibly well beyond.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:02 PM

140 posts, read 538,654 times
Prices have come down to a little more realistic prices, but they are still high because these are sought after locations. My family and I are what is referred to as "move-ins" because we weren't all born and raised there, but we really haven't had any issues fitting in. As a matter of fact, my daughter has too many friends as my house is frequently like a revolving door...lol.

In buying a house in Poquoson or York (or Hampton or Newport New for that matter), we always ask "What happened to your home during Isabel and the Nor'easter last year?" Believe me, sellers are used to answering that question. It's worth polling neighbors as well. I live on the edge of the floodzone, didn't have any water in or under my house during those two, and my flood insurance is less than $400/year.

My family are all a bunch of "band geeks" so the school's music department reputation was a key concern for us, so I know where you are coming from about the baseball.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:37 AM

3 posts, read 22,145 times
I live right by the airport and it is not an issue at all. However, you have good cause to be concerned about your children fitting in at Poquoson. It definitely can be very difficult for 'move-ins.' To be honest, it depends on the child. Shy kids suffer and those that are outgoing tend to get by. It is a very affluent town and those without, know it. Flooding is a definite problem depending on where you live in the community. I know people who have insurance but have sustained so much damage from all of the storms that they have had to fight not to get dropped and/or to collect from their insurance companies.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area