Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,344 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to Norfolk, VA. My husband is in the military and will be stationed on the Eisenhower. Any suggestions on where to live? I was thinking VA Beach, but I'm not sure what that will mean for my husband's commute to work. Would like to live in a safe neighborhood with good schools. Would prefer a newer community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 07:34 AM

161 posts, read 563,453 times
welcome to the area. we moved here due to the military three years ago. do you have children, are school districts important? how long is your husband willing to commute? do you prefer city living or more suburban? are you looking for a house, condo or apartment? if you can give us a little more info, we can provide better suggestions.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:41 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjudy1981 View Post
We're relocating to Norfolk, VA. My husband is in the military and will be stationed on the Eisenhower. Any suggestions on where to live? I was thinking VA Beach, but I'm not sure what that will mean for my husband's commute to work. Would like to live in a safe neighborhood with good schools. Would prefer a newer community.
The Eisenhower is going into a yard period in Portsmouth. I would suggest Chesapeake. Do you have children?

Old 06-06-2010, 02:19 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,235 times
I would definitely live in Virginia Beach or Chesapeake especially if you have kids or kids are on the horizon. My wife and I lived in Norfolk (nice apartment on Fleet and families list of housing) for a while and after 10 months we bought out our lease(Very noisy neighbors whom were mostly Navy as well by the way) and moved to Virgina Beach.

We decided to rent a condo or house and it was a much better move for us. We found a nice condo a half a mile from the beach well within our BAH allowance. Of course if you can buy that's even better, there are a lot of good deals in today's Real Estate market. Good Luck

Old 06-06-2010, 03:39 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Chesapeake and VB is a long drive - traffic coming from base is aweful in the morning and afternoon. How about Ocean View, it has nice areas. There is also nice military housing.

Or if you drive down Hampton Blvd. before Old Dominion University. There are nice areas on either side of the road further back.

Try to avoid living where you have to go through a tunnel. Traffic there always sucks big time.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:01 PM

37 posts, read 87,950 times
Since Ike is going into the yards, I would vote for Chesapeake-nice back route into the yards from Geo Washington Hwy lets you avoid a large percentage of the traffic-Battlefield Blvd and Deep Creek offer some variety-

As perviously mentioned-traffic into and out of the base is horrid during the rush hours-there are back routes that at least keep you moving though. But that is just a fact of life around here...

Welcome to the area!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,275 times
We live in VA beach ( near the on ramp to the interstate) My husband is in the yards on a different boat. He has to be at work by 6 am and his commute there is NOT bad at all... if he gets held up it can take a while to get home, but the school is a great one and to us it was worth it. It really depends on what you are looking for in a home.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,249 times
Im a Realtor who specializes in military relocation here in Hampton Roads. Shoot me an email at [EMAIL="isellhr@yahoo.com"]isellhr@yahoo.com[/EMAIL] or visit my website and I'll be happy to help you find a place that meets your needs. Im a native of Norfolk, so I know the areas very well. Welcome to Hampton Roads and thanks for your service!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area