Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 09:25 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times

Advertisements

Megabus recently announced they are greatly expanding their services to and from Philadelphia, making Philadelphia its second Northeast hub. As part of their expanded Philadelphia service, Megabus will start serving Harrisburg as part of its new Philadelphia-Harrisburg-State College-Pittsburgh route. The new service will start on July 21st.

Link to press release:
MegaBus US - Megabus.com Expands Philadelphia Service to and from Nine Northeast Cities

This announcement is obviously good news for Harrisburg area residents. I'd expect the Harrisburg-Philadelphia and Harrisburg-State College segments to be well-patronized and Harrisburg-Pittsburgh (via State College) to get a decent number of riders too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 07:31 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
That is good news for Harrisburg. I sure wish Megabus would come to the Lehigh Valley. We have no rail service and very limited bus service.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:00 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
That is good news for Harrisburg. I sure wish Megabus would come to the Lehigh Valley. We have no rail service and very limited bus service.
I don't know about the Lehigh Valley having limited bus service - Trans-Bridge does have a lot of service to New York. I do agree that Lehigh Valley-Philadelphia bus service is less than what you'd think it would be. On a related note, the Philadelphia-Syracuse-Buffalo-Toronto route doesn't make much sense to me, but it would make more sense if it stopped in Allentown and/or Scranton.

With Megabus' announcement of expanded service to Philadelphia and new service in the Harrisburg area (at the Harrisburg East Mall), I wouldn't be surprised if Megabus initiates new service on a Harrisburg-Allentown-New York route (or possibly a Pittsburgh-Harrisburg-Allentown-New York route) before the end of the year. Mind you, Bieber Tourways (under the guise of its subsidiary Capitol Trailways) tried running service on that exact route in late 2007/early 2008 on that very route and discontinued it due to low ridership (though the bus was full the one time I used it in late December 2007). On the other hand, I think the possibility of getting $1 tickets, even if they are limited in number, from Harrisburg or even Allentown to New York will be enticing to many people.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:10 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Yes, you can get to NYC via Transbridge or Bieber, but it's not inexpensive and getting to Philly is not commuter friendly at all. The biggest downfall of Bieber, IMHO, is that they don't allow you to reserve a seat like Megabus or Bolt bus does. We missed one bus because we just couldn't find a parking space in time and have also seen people turned away because the bus was too full. Philadelphia has a multitude of buses and it seems that more of them should stop in the Lehigh Valley on their way to NYC.

Sorry for de-railing your thread. Back to Harrisburg Megabus.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:40 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I don't know about the Lehigh Valley having limited bus service - Trans-Bridge does have a lot of service to New York. I do agree that Lehigh Valley-Philadelphia bus service is less than what you'd think it would be. On a related note, the Philadelphia-Syracuse-Buffalo-Toronto route doesn't make much sense to me, but it would make more sense if it stopped in Allentown and/or Scranton.
Megabus already has a NYC-Syracuse-Buffalo-toronto route so perhaps it's a way to mix in Philly-toronto (high airfares) with a route that needs more service (syracuse-buffalo airport-toronto). Personally, I would like a Allentown and/or Scranton stop but I also think there's a Philly-Syracuse market, there are a lot of upstaters in Philly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
With Megabus' announcement of expanded service to Philadelphia and new service in the Harrisburg area (at the Harrisburg East Mall), I wouldn't be surprised if Megabus initiates new service on a Harrisburg-Allentown-New York route (or possibly a Pittsburgh-Harrisburg-Allentown-New York route) before the end of the year. Mind you, Bieber Tourways (under the guise of its subsidiary Capitol Trailways) tried running service on that exact route in late 2007/early 2008 on that very route and discontinued it due to low ridership (though the bus was full the one time I used it in late December 2007). On the other hand, I think the possibility of getting $1 tickets, even if they are limited in number, from Harrisburg or even Allentown to New York will be enticing to many people.
They already launched a Pitt-NY route, I wouldn't bank on it though..as you noted, there was low ridership and it would have to compete with a Harrrisburg-Philly-NY route plus Amtrak to NY. I'd bet that you'll see Pitt to Balt/DC first, maybe even to cincy. It will be interesting to see if this cannibalizes Amtrak ridership or grows the market (or some of both). I'm planning a trip using Amtrak between Harrisburg and Philly and megabus between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh (using a layover to get a Troeg's brewery tour).

Old 06-21-2010, 11:50 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
When I was at Syracuse U I was surprised at the proportion of students who came from the Philadelphia region. Most of the other upstate NY colleges (I attended a few others too ) seem dominated by NYC metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area