Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:51 PM

2 posts, read 7,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
What block of Green street do you live on? That is a street that has a rapid change of incomes based on how far north you live. Closer to downtown is beautiful but uptown is a nightmare...
UPTOWN IS NICE BUT IT DOES HAVE FLAWS BUT CAPITOL HIGHETS AND GREEN STREETS ARE NICE ALSO GOVENORES SQUARE AND OTHER LOCATONS IN THE CITY ARE GOOD
AND ALSO ITS NOT WHAT TYPES OF INCOME YOU GOT THAT MAKES AGOOD NEIGHBORHOOD ITS THE PEOPLE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 03:34 PM

13 posts, read 41,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedHelp_08 View Post
i lived in harrisburg for 14 years and i havent seen any gangs... harrisburg is a nice place, people are talktive and friendly... nice libraries... parks like city island which is beautiful... a nice hospital near there... yup pretty nice city from my point of view... schools are nice but stay away from cities like steelton and susquhanna.
good luck
I wouldn't say people are that nice, and schools in Harrisburg suck! The Harrisburg school district is the worst, and I hate it and all of its schools, horrible!

Old 03-22-2008, 10:36 PM

32,603 posts, read 77,247,404 times
Oy vey. Yet another case of the suburban Chicken Littles saying that you should stay away from the "big, bad, scary city." I'll tell you one thing for certain---if Harrisburg were to wither up and die, ALL OF THE SUBURBS WOULD DIE TOO!

Old 03-23-2008, 08:34 PM

641 posts, read 2,363,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Oy vey. Yet another case of the suburban Chicken Littles saying that you should stay away from the "big, bad, scary city." I'll tell you one thing for certain---if Harrisburg were to wither up and die, ALL OF THE SUBURBS WOULD DIE TOO!
What do you know? You live in Scranton. You don't know what it's like here.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:17 AM

3,011 posts, read 6,280,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
Lots of gangs. Stay away from Steelton 2nd street, 6 th street & Cameron off the top of my head. it's a combat zone. Also alot of convicts on work release that work there in the warehouses. I worked at this one place....only white guy there. Not that I'm racist or anything, but I felt outta place. I had to carry a switchblade with me at all times. Never brought my wallet. Move to one of the suburbs if you can.
Not to be disrespectful in any way shape, form or fashion here with my response.

I will say that gang activity has definitely increased arond the country in the last several years, especially in many rural and suburban parts of Pa., and in particular NEPA. In fact, it would be irresponsible of me to deny it's negative impacts on society and the lives lost.

While we all should be both cognizant and vigilant, the last thing we need to be is paralyzed by FEAR. That is how gangs and criminals in general thrive, grow and prosper. Without that element, many are not successful. They want you to be scared of them.

Should we be careful? Of course. On the same token, I am not going to stop living my own life because of this. I refuse to hole myself up in my house with a gun out of fear that some guy wearing a red or blue bandanna is going to harm me or my family. In fact, these two gangs and other smaller, lesser known gangs have more beef with each other than you or me.

I've never been in jail, but I have worked with inmates on work release programs. The vast majority are people who have made mistakes and are trying to get their lives back on track. Maybe your experience was vastly different, and I can understand that. However, I treat people with respect no matter what their situation in life is/was, and more oftentimes than not, I get it in return.

Last edited by Gil3; 03-25-2008 at 12:03 PM..

Old 03-25-2008, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,831 times
Default Moving to Harrisburg area for Grad School..

Oh gosh, this move is stressing me out! I'll be coming to the Harrisburg area this weekend. We've looked in/around the Mount Joy area. Would it be feasible to live there while attending school at Penn State Harrisburg? I'm not sure about the communte/area. I've read it's only about 18 miles away. Any suggestions?

Old 03-25-2008, 04:10 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,294,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestarr22 View Post
Oh gosh, this move is stressing me out! I'll be coming to the Harrisburg area this weekend. We've looked in/around the Mount Joy area. Would it be feasible to live there while attending school at Penn State Harrisburg? I'm not sure about the communte/area. I've read it's only about 18 miles away. Any suggestions?
It should be a fairly easy commute using route 283. There isnt that much traffic on there even during rush hour, so you should be fine.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:31 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,600,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestarr22 View Post
It's feasible...but I think you could move closer. Mount Joy is nice though.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 6,831 times
I'm commuting about 50 miles one way now so 18 miles seemed like nothing for me. Aside from the Mount Joy area, where else would you suggest? FYI: We're 24 and 25 years old, no kids. To get a feel for us.. I'll be attending grad school. He is in engineering. We're not in to the whole college scene. Honestly, we're quiet/relaxed people.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,965 times
Default Harrisburg Rocks!

I moved to Harrisburg City over 40 years ago and am still a proud resident. I have never seen any gang activity. I think Harrisburg has so much to offer. It is a great place to live and raise a family. As with ANY City in the U.S., there are area's where you just don't go. Harrisburg has so much to offer with superb restaurants, culture, entertainment and education. No City in the U.S. of this size has this much to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area