Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 5,419 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am relocating from Pittsburgh to Harrisburg this week for a job promotion. I have not had much luck finding housing. I'm very wary of the craigslist postings- I have responded to about 30 and have only gotten one response. The apartmentratings.com ratings are all over the place- the really good ratings seem to be generic and probably from people who work/own them.

I would be very appreciative if anyone could help me out in recommendations.

Here's my situation: I am looking for something affordable, safe, and with parking. A studio/efficiency is fine. Prefer utilities included, but not absolutely necessary. A/C would be really nice. Other than that, I don't care about laundry or dishwashers or anything like that. I just don't want a slumlord, roaches, etc.

My fiancee and our daughter are still living in Pittsburgh and will be for at least the next year. I will be traveling home every weekend (weather permitting) and holiday to spend with them.

I had Carlisle and Enola recommended to me because I'll be driving back to Pittsburgh so often and I'd get on/off the turnpike at Carlisle.
I am going to look at a studio apartment at the Executive House, but it has some pretty terrible reviews on apartmentratings. com (even though it was mentioned as good in a few threads on here!).

I'll be working a few blocks away from the Labor and Industry building, near AES. Something within walking distance of work would be great if there's something affordable, safe, and decent in Harrisburg.

Thanks in advance for any help/recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 11:15 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,920,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaClementine View Post
Here's my situation: I am looking for something affordable, safe, and with parking. A studio/efficiency is fine. Prefer utilities included, but not absolutely necessary. A/C would be really nice. Other than that, I don't care about laundry or dishwashers or anything like that. I just don't want a slumlord, roaches, etc.

I am going to look at a studio apartment at the Executive House, but it has some pretty terrible reviews on apartmentratings. com (even though it was mentioned as good in a few threads on here!).
I've noticed all the bad reviews too. Everyone has their own opinion, I suppose. Some of those complaints -- light coming in through the windows at night, noise from the street -- are just part of living in a city. Others -- such as the building being an assisted living / section 8 facility -- are just false. I have lived there for five years (1999-2004 and again starting this past Feb) and have no plans of leaving until I actually buy a house. My advice is to tour the building and ask questions. If you have any specific questions about the building, I'm happy to give you an honest answer.

For "all utilities included", your other choice in the city is The Grayco. It is a very chic art-deco building and well worth a look. Also look into Towne House apartments. They are directly across the street from L&I.

Remember that by living in the city, you'll be able to walk to work and save on parking. Walking from EH to L&I is about 3/4 of a mile. City-owned parking is around $150 a month for the garages and $65 / month for outdoor City Island parking. Between Carlisle and Enola, I personally would lean towards Enola. There's no reason other than personal preference -- Enola keeps you close to all the city has to offer, but you're not actually IN the city. Carlisle is a solid 30 minutes from downtown Harrisburg.

I live downtown (EH) myself. Whenever I hop on the turnpike, I just drive I-81 down to the Carlisle interchange and save a buck that way. It adds maybe 10 minutes to my trip.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:37 PM

Thanks for your reply! I've been reading some horror stories about the Towne House Suites/Apts online as well but will be touring them.

Where you live now, are there any issues with bugs? Is there a/c? Do things tend to work (appliances, etc.)?

Old 12-31-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply! I've been reading some horror stories about the Towne House Suites/Apts online as well but will be touring them.

Where you live now, are there any issues with bugs? Is there a/c? Do things tend to work (appliances, etc.)?
This past summer I saw a number of centipedes (fast little buggers) assault my apartment. This is the first time in six years that I have ever seen any bug in the building aside from the occasional fly or stinkbug. I would find 2-3 of the little buggers a week. EH has regular pest control service, and they responded by sending up the exterminator for a special visit on top of his scheduled trip. That didn't work, so they sent him up again. That really cut back, but about a month ago I saw two more in two days. They called a different exterminator and the problem hasn't been back.

All of this was at their expense, naturally.

The A/C is included and it works great. I have a corner apartment with lots of windows, and I leave my shades open all day long. I'd say it keeps the apartment around 70 - 72 degrees regardless of the weather outside. If I do close my shades, the apartment actually becomes chilly.

The A/C is not like a conventional forced air system. Imagine an old-fashioned steam radiator. Now imagine that instead of steam, they pump super-chilled alcohol through the lines. The same system is used for heat in the winter, only they heat the liquid instead of chilling it. I keep mine on their lowest setting year-round (except in the winter, where I usually turn one off) and I am never uncomfortable.

My appliances are all in working order. The apartment-sized stove is nothing to brag about cosmetically, but it's reliable and works like a champ. My fridge looks like it's about 3-5 years old and works perfectly. The cabinets were replaced in 1989 and they are starting to show some signs of wear. This probably varies from apartment to apartment.

When I moved back into the building this year, the dishwasher's timer was broken. A maintenance guy came up that same day, took one look, and said they would replace the whole thing. Three days later I had a new dishwasher installed. Three days without a dishwasher is at worst a minor inconvenience (talk about first-world problems!), but I doubt even Lowes or Home Depot could get a dishwasher installed -- for free -- in less than three days.

As for Towne House, the only reason I didn't move there was because EH wound up being so much cheaper for more amenities. Towne House has some impressive views and great floorplans, but I don't know anything about actually living in the building.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:30 PM

That sounds awesome. You've made me feel so much better about looking at places! I'm looking forward to checking out the apartment on Monday!

Old 01-02-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
That sounds awesome. You've made me feel so much better about looking at places! I'm looking forward to checking out the apartment on Monday!
Great! Good luck, and I hope you find something you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area