Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 8,383 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am moving this August to Harrisburg area from Texas. I will be working at Penn State Harrisburg, and plan to rent a house. I am looking to rent for an apartment/house.
We need a quiet place to live as a family. We are looking for smth with 2 or 3 bedrooms. A house with a yard is the first preference, however it can be a townhome, or apartment. The most important thing for us is to be a calm place for a family with kids. We are bringing our cars, so we're looking for a place with lots of parking available. We are not worried about the school system at least for next 2-3 years, since our twins are toddlers.
Driving 10-15 miles is not a problem, if the place is good and nice.

Where would you suggest me to look? I have been looking at Craigslist for places to rent, and seen some places in Harrisburg uptown, but I do not know whether that is a safe area. Any suggestions is welcome, since we are not familiar to the area.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 08:55 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,132 times
Hi, and welcome to the area! Are you talking about Penn State Harrisburg in Middletown, or the Penn State satellite office in uptown Harrisburg?

For the main Penn State Harrisburg campus in Middletown, I would definitely lean towards living in Middletown over uptown Harrisburg. While you may be within your 15-mile range, you're going to fight some serious rush-hour traffic driving to Middletown from uptown / midtown Harrisburg. I-83 can completely clog, and you don't want to think about 230.

Your best bet is probably to look around the Chambers Hill area (the area south / southeast of the I-83 / I-283 junction). It's a suburban area that gets more rural as you head to the east. There's a lot of rental housing in this area at all price points, including both homes and townhomes with yards. You may also want to look into Elizabethtown. E-town is a little further than Harrisburg, but I'm told it's a much quicker drive.

Avoid Steelton.

Be careful on Craigslist. Many of the listings are scams. Our local newspaper, the Patriot News, has some rental listings online.

Did you have a specific price point in mind? That would help us make some more specific suggestions.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:52 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Middletown Borough (borough in PA = small incorporated town) itself is pretty calm and quiet, a much better bet than Steelton and Highspire. Hummelstown Borough is also quiet, less racially mixed than Middletown. Also agree with Chambers Hill (it has a Harrisburg address but surely listings will distinguish), and Elizabethtown. Middletown and E-town have Amtrak stations, handy if you want to take your toddlers to museums in Philly for a change of pace day.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:54 AM

45 posts, read 104,576 times
I used to live in Elizabethtown while I worked in uptown Harrisburg and took evening classes at Penn State Harrisburg in Middletown. I must echo Floor9's sentiments about the traffic.

Middletown is a lovely town, there are quite a few rental communities and properties available out and around. It's a quiet town, lots of green, lots of yards. Middletown also has many amenities within its borders (grocery stores, movie theater, restaurants, some shopping and entertainment, airport, nuclear power plant) and is not far from Harrisburg and Hershey. Chocolatetown U.S.A.!!

Elizabethtown is quite similar in a lot of ways to Middletown, though a bit further East. So if your significant other finds a job working in the Harrisburg area that will be a bit of a commute. Not a bad commute, just a smudge long.

The Chambers Hill area (Swatara Township) is in a great location to get you to near anywhere you need to go, while being away from the city just far enough to have your yards and quiet.

If you will be working at the Penn State Eastgate Center (on 7th Street, near uptown, in the City of Harrisburg), the Chambers Hill area would be very nearby and Middletown still also in a decent commuting location. That would also give you some additional options, like Susquehanna Township or the Linglestown area. But if you will be working at Penn State Harrisburg in Middletown, I'd suggest looking into that surrounding area first before branching out to Susquehanna Township or Linglestown, if only to avoid the annoying rush hour commutes from here to there.

I hope you enjoy working for Penn State Harrisburg! My father worked there so I grew up 'on campus', my first job was in their library, and I finished my undergrad degree there. It's a beautiful campus, the faculty are simply great and friendly, and the food they prepare in their cafeteria is yum delish!!

Old 03-21-2011, 04:55 PM

Thank you everybody. It's very nice of you answering my questions very quickly. I will be working in Middletown campus. I visited once Middletown, and did not get a very good first impression, but I will still keep that in mind when I come back and look for a place. Besides, I was told that Middletown produces its own electricity (or smth like that) and it is very expensive, they told me about electric bills ranging from $200 in summer to $400 in winter. That's why, I was asking for other places around.
Floor9 I am looking to pay smth around $1000, but not much more than that. If I find cheaper, I would be OK, also
Thank you again everybody.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:24 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Middletown Borough has its own electric distribution system, but not its own generating capacity. A couple of years back their electric bills went from very cheap to approximately the going rate for everyone else.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:01 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbgnewbie View Post
Floor9 I am looking to pay smth around $1000, but not much more than that. If I find cheaper, I would be OK, also
I don't think you'll have any problem with that. The reason I asked is that there's a brand new townhouse complex just off Eisenhower Blvd near the 283 / 76 interchange, but they're around $1200 and up. There are a number of townhouse-like rental communities around the intersection of Chambers Hill Road and PA-441. You'll have common / shared yards.

Take a look at Mod cut - no single place listings please in Middletown. All utilities are included, so the electric rate would be a non-issue. They run the gamut from one-bedroom apartments to house-like structures. Rent is around $950 - $1200 for two- and three-bedroom units.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-19-2011 at 06:18 AM..

Old 03-22-2011, 08:07 PM

Thank you very much. I will look at the places you suggested.
Thanks

Old 04-13-2011, 08:55 PM

74 posts, read 142,670 times
Default Hummelstown

Don't forget to look in the Hummelstown area. You could take back roads to Middletown (Fiddler's Elbow road to Fulling Mill to 441) and that would be a nice scenic commute. I lived in Middletown for the last 11 years, but have always preferred Hummelstown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area