Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 01:22 PM

6 posts, read 7,407 times

Advertisements

I am late to the party here as well but wanted to respond since my family moved to Hershey a few years back from Rockville MD. We had similar concerns relating to schools (Montgomery MD is pretty much at the top of the list), diversity, the arts scene etc and I assure you, they have been laid to rest forever.

We are Indian-Americans and I have 3 kids (7, 4, 5m) and I can't tell you how quickly we were absorbed into the community -- this is the first time ever that pretty much every neighbor stopped by with cookies, brownies etc to welcome us to the neighborhood. The older kids would come by to invite my older girls to play in the evening and drop them back once done. Our caucasian neighbor has 4 sons and one daughter (of Chinese origin).

The school here has a very small town feel, with an amazing amount of parental involvement. We have an International Community that's puts together a week-long showcase every year with representation for 70 countries!! I am not kidding! My daughter loves school, is challenged pretty well in her curriculum (she went in reading fluently at Kindergarten level) and the principal seems very engaged.

In terms of the arts, there are 3-4 very good ballet schools that have their yearly performances at the Hershey Theater (if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it). My daughter also takes Indian Dance classes here. The chinese community has an excellent school that has language classes as well as an outstanding dance class.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions, but overall I think you will be very pleasantly surprised at how open, welcoming and diverse this area actually is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 06:17 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,781,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgri35 View Post
I'll be happy to answer any other questions, but overall I think you will be very pleasantly surprised at how open, welcoming and diverse this area actually is.
Appreciate the info! For the purpose of calibrating your response, do both spouses work outside the home, or one?

Old 01-20-2012, 07:22 AM

6 posts, read 7,407 times
Both spouses work - one outside and from a home office for a technical firm based in RTP. Most of my friends here work for the medical center but I have been able to meet them and other parents through daycare, preschool and some through the neighborhood. Hope that helps

Old 01-20-2012, 02:24 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,781,397 times
Thanks! It's been our experience that a substantial number of activities are scheduled either during the day on weekdays or immediately after school, which makes it difficult for two parents who both work day shift outside the home to participate.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,596 times
Lancaster County, strong in family values, conservative nature offers many cultural experiences. We also have a rapidly growing arts culture, supported by Pennsylvania School of Arts. Every first Friday of the month downtown Lancaster comes to life with over 40 thousand visitors exploring the galleries, small shops, restaurants an more.
I'm not familare with where Pa ranks in public schools in the country, however a couple of our public schools have done very well. I personly send my children to private schools, we have some nationally ranked private schools.
You may also want to keep in mind Lancasters location. One hour out side Philidelphia, an hour an twenty minutes to Baltimore, thirty minutes to Harrisburg, Pittsburg and New York are also close enough for day trips or weekend get a ways. Summer beach trips in 3 to 4 hours depending on the type of beach community your looking for, or mountain trail hikes in the fall.
A good freind an client of mine is a anistgiologist at Hershey Penn State, loves the area. He's studied an worked in number of large an medium sized cities an has found this area offers his family trees and the forest.
Good luck in your choices.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-26-2012 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: removed possible solicitation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area