Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 07:19 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,912,399 times

Advertisements

Article here:

Harrisburg City Council votes 4-3 in favor of Chapter 9 municipal bankruptcy protection | PennLive.com

I'm against the state takeover / bailout of Harrisburg for many reasons. Perhaps the most concerning is that this private insurance company -- Assured Guaranty Municipal Corporation -- is one of the biggest pushers for the takeover. AGM made a high-risk investment, knowing full well the potential outcomes of such tactics. Now that they might lose, they're pushing the governor and legislature to step in.

The state government is putting the good of a corporation over the good of the people.

If I invest in a high-risk company and get wiped out, I'm told that I need to "deal with it" and "take some personal responsibility".

But when a corporation makes a high-risk investment and gets wiped out, we're told that "it's not their fault" and that we need to bail them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 09:38 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,092,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post

The state government is putting the good of a corporation over the good of the people.
Does this really shock you given who is currently residing in the Governor's Mansion?

Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,912,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Does this really shock you given who is currently residing in the Governor's Mansion?
Absolutely not. I am disappointed that people will fervently put the welfare of corporations ahead of the welfare of people, but not shocked.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:21 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,737,280 times
Check this out, LT (and more) on Al Jazeera!

Pennsylvanian city close to broke - Americas - Al Jazeera English

Old 10-29-2011, 09:08 AM

3 posts, read 3,070 times
This is what happens when you put well educamakated political people in office... They know how to abuse powers and have learned from their prior offices how to properly diminish taxpayers’ funds. The ones that have been around awhile(Presidents/Governors who have 3-5 two million dollar ranches with their 50-200k year salaries) have even learned the launder it away with my buddies cousins wife’s business so they can get it 75% of funds back into their pockets.
We have tried it the rich people’s way long enough, put a farmer/construction worker/waitress/gas station attendant or any other person who hasn’t been corrupted/schooled and knows how it is to live pay check to pay check! Let some woman who is a single mother working two jobs that shops with coupons hoping she'll have enough money left for gas to get back and forth to her job!
Once the corruption is allowed to enter , only way to remove it is get rid of everyone, this way there isn’t a buddy of a buddy of a buddy left in office who still has say....Politics is now like a vine weed. In order to get rid of it you have to clean house. No left overs and no chance of them getting the power back either! Once removed they don’t return to any way to a government office. If they can raise millions of dollars to waste on their election campaigns, then they are corrupt controlled candidates! Take those funds and pay welfare system so those crybaby tax payers don’t! This is why the power has been taken from the people; they see “the people” as a mark.
I say either take the power back or shut the duck up! If you’re not ready to clean house then stop crying about it. Putting someone who accepts large amounts of donations for campaigning in office to begin isn’t going to change a thing. If anything it adds yet another corrupt person who sides with million dollar companies instead of public safety, has the say on what laws are passed through bribes and spends your tax dollars however they see fit.
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 04-21-2013, 05:21 PM

15,124 posts, read 27,630,660 times
Is Harrisburg still in bankruptcy? (if they filed?) - haven't read any updates.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:49 PM

9,321 posts, read 12,939,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Check this out, LT (and more) on Al Jazeera!

Pennsylvanian city close to broke - Americas - Al Jazeera English
If there's one place I like to get my Pennsylvania news, it's Al Jazeera!

(I know the post is from two years ago, but since the thread got bumped anyway I couldn't resist replying).

In any event, I wonder if Harrisburg is starting to turn a corner. I recently visited for the first time since 2008 and the city seemed to have a lot more going on than it did five years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area