Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 10:48 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,263,551 times

Advertisements

Anyone do or familiar with a daily Harrisburg to Philly commute via amtrak for work?

How doable and reliable of a service is this? It seems amtrak runs pretty slow on this leg but does it atleast run on time?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 10:54 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
I don't travel Amtrak daily. Maybe several times a year. I've never experienced delayed service. Many people do commute daily to Philly and NY via that line. HOWEVER, there have been times when the Harrisburg-Philly line was suspended due to debris on the line, flooding, inclement weather, etc. If you have an employer who is flexible with your schedule, you should be okay. If arriving late a few days per year will be a problem, then I'd recommend against me.

But just my $.02. As I said, I'm not a daily commuter.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:32 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,263,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
I don't travel Amtrak daily. Maybe several times a year. I've never experienced delayed service. Many people do commute daily to Philly and NY via that line. HOWEVER, there have been times when the Harrisburg-Philly line was suspended due to debris on the line, flooding, inclement weather, etc. If you have an employer who is flexible with your schedule, you should be okay. If arriving late a few days per year will be a problem, then I'd recommend against me.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

The only people I know that do philly to ny often do acela and unfortunately harrisburg to philly isn't on the acela express line.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:15 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
Glad to help. And I just noticed my "recommend against me" typo. Whoops. I think I meant "recommend against it".

Old 01-05-2012, 08:06 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post

to be fair, even the turnpike was shut down this year with the once in a generation flooding that occurred. more precipitation this year than any year on record (about 140 years)

Old 01-05-2012, 08:42 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
Thanks. Much appreciated.

The only people I know that do philly to ny often do acela and unfortunately harrisburg to philly isn't on the acela express line.
I travel the HBG-PHL Amtrak line at least once a month and very rarely experience delays. They do a great job of keeping the trains on time. Beware, Friday PM trains out of Philly are usually standing room only until Lancaster.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,099 times
Default Harrisburg to Philadelphia

I've ridden from Philadephia to Lancaster each weekday for the past 18 months - and have several friends who do the Harrisburg to Philadelphia commute. Riding the train has been so convenient for the long commute.
Amtrak tends to run on time, and very rarely experiences delays longer than 10 minutes. There are times when due to weather, flooding, etc. the trains have been late or cancelled - but in a year and a half, I've only had to be significantly late or work from home twice due to these issues.
The trains are quiet and clean, and Amtrak just added WIFI to the Keystone line, which is nice. I'd definitely recommend it over driving - when you factor in tolls, gas, and the unpredictable but always bad traffic on the Schuykill Expressway (last 10-15 miles into Philly) it's completely worth it.

Last edited by kellysc; 01-06-2012 at 07:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area