U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,992 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am from NJ and just move to Harrisburg. I feel bored here so now want to relocate, any suggestion near Harrisburg where is good place to live? Looking for Indian community where can have good friends. Also want entertainment for kids and family.

Appreciate for good suggestion
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 06:02 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,914,354 times
Harrisburg is an up and coming small city. It does have an ever growing array of events.

I suggest checking out this resource:

https://theburgnews.com/

Lancaster (only 40 minutes to its southeast) is a bit more further along its rebirth and I highly suggest checking out this colonial and VERY HISTORIC and beautiful city.

Cheers.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:57 AM

6 posts, read 33,335 times
I personally can't find any charm in Harrisburg whatsoever but that's just me. All of the house are at LEAST a 100 years old..however there are moder options but they will cost you double or more to live there. Camp Hill/Lemoyne are much safer options but still antiquated housing is a problem in Central PA

Old 10-31-2018, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,947 times
I’m also moving to Harrisburg. My husband works up there and I am joining him. But we can’t seem to find homes for rent up there. We want to be 30 minutes from his work which is in the 17111 zip. And we want a single family home not a town home or apartment. He is retired army so we have lived in a lot of area’s but Harrisburg is a whole other creature to us. Are there areas outside of Harrisburg that is close enough for us to find a house to rent? And 1700 is our max rent. We don’t care for city living we prefer quiet and houses that are not 10ft next to each other.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:00 PM

4,273 posts, read 11,133,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottecak View Post
I’m also moving to Harrisburg. My husband works up there and I am joining him. But we can’t seem to find homes for rent up there. We want to be 30 minutes from his work which is in the 17111 zip. And we want a single family home not a town home or apartment. He is retired army so we have lived in a lot of area’s but Harrisburg is a whole other creature to us. Are there areas outside of Harrisburg that is close enough for us to find a house to rent? And 1700 is our max rent. We don’t care for city living we prefer quiet and houses that are not 10ft next to each other.
That could be tough, you may have noticed this area tends to have smaller lot sizes than typical of many other US areas.

You could try looking in northern or "upper" Dauphin county (Halifax, Elizabethville, Millersburg), or in central/southeastern Perry County (Marysville, Duncannon, Newport, Liverpool). The newspaper Upper Dauphin Sentinel has classifieds (their website seems not to be working). The Perry County Times/Duncannon Record/[Newport] News-Sun is a weekly imprint of the Harrisburg Patriot-News complex.

You may find that home rentals in these areas might be close to a 30 minute drive from your work site on the weekend but in normal daytime drive times takes considerably longer due to congestion on the so-called "river routes" (US 22/322 expressway, and US 11/15 surface road parallel on the other side of the river), and from Upper Dauphin area also the two narrow twisty roads PA 147 and PA 225 that come together in Halifax.

The [Carlisle] Sentinel (a daily - NOT the same as the weekly Upper Dauphin Sentinel) also circulates in Perry County. You might find rental homes out beyond Carlisle (more like a 45 minute drive to 17111) also listed in that Sentinel newspaper. Some of these are so far back twisty roads that much of Perry County is actually real-time closer. Carlisle seems to be an attractive area for retired military, it has https://www.commissaries.com/shoppin...lisle-barracks and other services you may be seeking.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:25 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,666,701 times
Look at Mt. Joy or even Lititz~they have nice downtown areas with all the other amenities within a short driving distance. Both areas have lots of different housing options, but the walkable downtown areas are definitely a plus.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:58 AM

2,337 posts, read 7,551,875 times
How about the Uptown area? I'm looking into the city since I am in Pittsburgh all of the areas that I would like to live are too expensive. Uptown seems really affordable...but not as 'jumping' as Midtown. I'm looking to rent. I have three little boys (a 2 year old and 1 year old twins) so while we live in the ghetto now and get by....I would rather live in an area where they can actually play outside (which is not the case where I live now....where we have stray pit bulls and needles laying around outside).

Old 02-13-2019, 09:07 AM

2,337 posts, read 7,551,875 times
Well - I just came back from spending a weekend in Harrisburg; it was a great time! I actually stayed just north of the city border...in Susquehanna Township (and my hosts made sure to let me know that!). I also visited with my Grandfather's 1st cousin who lives pretty close to the capital. I loved Susquehanna Township....I didn't expect the river to be so majestic. The streets were incredibly wide, clean and flat compared to Pittsburgh.

In regards to my cousin's place, the street was pretty narrow and the housing stock was pretty old. I was really impressed with the quality of her house (she is 86...and has lived in this house since 1958)....but also kinda shocked that so many things weren't updated with the infrastructure (i.e. sidewalks crumbling, electric wires tangled on the outside, downed street signs). She said she paid $40,000 for her house....which sounds like a LOT for the 50s. However it is a 3 story, with 5 bedrooms. Again...needs to be updated so I would not expect it to get even that amount today....adjusted for inflation. She said I can get homes in the neighborhood for $50K easy.

But....I'm more drawn towards uptown/Susquehanna at this point!

Now, on the hunt for a job I guess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area