Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 07:57 AM

31 posts, read 78,279 times

Advertisements

My husband has recently gotten a job lead in Hershey which is looking pretty promising. We currently live in Providence, RI and we're not familiar with the PA so, when looking at places to live, we have no idea where to start! We are a small family of 3. My husband is 47, our daughter is 4 and I'm 44. We currently live in a great little family friendly neighborhood just over the line from Providence. We are looking for a location that is family friendly, has good "walkability", has some uniqueness and charm with older, pre-war homes with garages and good sized yards. The area we currently live in has a cute little area with shops and restaurants that we can walk to which is something that we really like. We definitely don't want to live in an area that is "cookie cutter" (in it's homes or people!) and we prefer an area that has unique stores and restaurants rather than chain restaurants. We definitely aren't big on suburbs where there are "cookie cutter" homes, chain restaurants, and malls! It's important that there be a good public school system and/or some good private schools to choose from within a 20-30 minute drive. (We prefer private schools that are co-ed and not Catholic.) And finally, we really appreciate good racial and ethnic diversity. We are caucasian and are raising our daughter Jewish (reform) so it would be important to have a JCC and temples nearby, as well as some racial diversity. My husband is willing to commute up to 45 minutes in any direction. Any thoughts on which neighborhoods would be fitting for us? We'd love any and all input! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 09:07 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Susquehanna Township just north of Harrisburg would be a fit for proximity to the JCC Harrisburg Jewish Community Online and housing styles and 30-45 min normal one way commute time to most of the Hershey employment centers. Compared to New England lot sizes tend to be smaller in this area of PA. Social and political views prevailing in Harrisburg area tend to be more conservative than coastal areas

Old 06-21-2013, 08:54 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Susquehanna Township just north of Harrisburg would be a fit for proximity to the JCC Harrisburg Jewish Community Online and housing styles and 30-45 min normal one way commute time to most of the Hershey employment centers. Compared to New England lot sizes tend to be smaller in this area of PA. Social and political views prevailing in Harrisburg area tend to be more conservative than coastal areas
Since you won't be utilizing the public schools, agreed on Susquehanna Township, which is around 7-10% Jewish. Neighboring Lower Paxton is in the 3-5% range. There are still some Jews (mainly Orthodox) in Uptown (once the hub of Harrisburg's Jewish community) but that's probably not the kind of place you're looking for (although it's the only walkable, prewar area of the three). Other than that, Harrisburg's Jewish presence is extremely spread out. Basically, if you want to be around a lot (relatively speaking) of secular/Reform/"Low" Conservative Jews, you'll have to settle for sprawl.

If you're really brave, you can commute from Wyomissing, a charming, walkable suburb of Reading that's about an hour away from Hershey and has a Jewish population somewhere in the 5-7% range (there's a Reform Temple in town).

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 06-21-2013 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-21-2013, 09:14 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Lititz?
I remember Lititz as having a quaint downtown and lot of cool festivals and community things like that.
Within the 45 minute travel time requirement.

I spent a great deal of time in Hershey during the 90's and early 2000's and a few things I remember were how clean the town was and if you are a walker like I am, you spot gnomes everywhere! Really, I think it was a secret town tradition to hide gnome statues in your yard in weird places.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:47 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Lititz?
I remember Lititz as having a quaint downtown and lot of cool festivals and community things like that.
Within the 45 minute travel time requirement.

I spent a great deal of time in Hershey during the 90's and early 2000's and a few things I remember were how clean the town was and if you are a walker like I am, you spot gnomes everywhere! Really, I think it was a secret town tradition to hide gnome statues in your yard in weird places.
I doubt any more than a fraction of a percent of Lititz residents are Jewish. There's a smattering of Jews in Hersey, but not enough to have much of a perceptible community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area