Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2014, 07:49 PM

13 posts, read 23,200 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are considering a move from Pittsburgh to State College. My daughter is 7 and in the gifted program at her school. Our son is 5 and is moderate / high functioning with autism. He's non-verbal in a mainstream kindergarten with an aide and receives wraparound services.

Any insight in how the schools / services at State College would be equipped for our kids? Thank you all so much!
Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 11:13 AM

8 posts, read 11,709 times
Hello, I know this post is about 2 years old but I was wondering if you made the move to State College and if so how are the services for your son? I have a 12 year old with moderate to HF Autism and we're considering a move to the area but keep getting extremely mixed opinions on service and the area in general. If you've moved there I'd love to hear your opinion!

Old 12-20-2014, 09:42 PM

Hi, actually the post is only two weeks old. :-)

We are still searching for information and so far we are also getting mixed reviews. We specifically need info on the quality of wraparound services and what to expect from the school district.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:43 PM

Hi, actually the post is only two weeks old. :-)

We are still searching for information and so far we are also getting mixed reviews. We specifically need info on the quality of wraparound services and what to expect from the school district. We tend to hear great things about the area in general.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:15 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
Contact the IU for the area and ask...my guess is that with the high number of people related to teaching/research and working for the university that the education services are going to be better than average. Generally, the university climate/clientele dictates higher expectations of district programs and the resources to provide for the programs.

Central Intermediate Unit # 10 / Overview

Old 12-22-2014, 06:21 AM

325 posts, read 368,593 times
I believe Penn State's professors and graduate students work with the State College School District's special needs children. I really don't think you have much to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area