Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 07:45 AM

545 posts, read 1,096,588 times

Advertisements

Many cities in PA, such as Philly, Pit, Allentown, Bethlehem are going through downtown revilalizations. a lot of new upscale apartments being build downtown, etc. why isn't the same thing happening in harrisburg? and will it soon? i'd imagine a lot of people work in downtown harrisburg. won't this lead to demand for apartment living closer to these jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 07:48 AM

664 posts, read 804,759 times
Because it's in the middle of nowhere and the only "industry" to speak of is state politics?

Old 01-22-2015, 01:08 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,587,687 times
Backwards and behind the times, just look at the current PA license plates, terrible design and color and we all thought "You've Got a Friend in Pennsylvania" themed license plates was the end of it. All coming out of Harrisburg.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:27 PM

4,866 posts, read 4,166,243 times
A lot of people do work in downtown, and there are some who want to live close to the highly urban area around the state capitol.

I haven't lived in the area long, I do work downtown but I don't live here, nor would I.

The downtown area isn't very safe and there is absolutely no place to park. I like a home/apartment with some yard space or walking area because I have a dog. That barely exists downtown.

Aside from all that the City of Harrisburg is pretty much broke. It takes money to revitalize. Developers apparently don't come here for various reasons (I have my suspicions, but I'll keep them to myself). And to revitalize many folks would need to be relocated - where do they go?

There are some buildings where it looks like someone was trying to do some revitalization but apparently they went bust before it ever really got going.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:07 AM

165 posts, read 231,563 times
All of the above.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:30 AM

129 posts, read 125,163 times
I concur with everything else previously said. Plus it is very overpriced to do some of the simplest things.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:58 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,749,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
Because it's in the middle of nowhere and the only "industry" to speak of is state politics?
Its metro also a logistics base area for the BosWash corridor (just getting the 3rd and 4th Amazon warehouses, for example, check out all the other monster warehouses from the air) with 3 Fortune 1000 hq's. Plus I've seen kids collecting money in cans in Bergen County, NJ, to give to the local ever expanding medical complex. Penn State Dance Marathon | For the Kids!

City-limits redevelopment hasn't really resumed after the recession though, to the same extent as elsewhere, perhaps due to a collapse of an excess of what turned out to be the wrong form of overleveraged ambition. Former Mayor Stephen R. Reed is under fire for Harrisburg's debt | PennLive.com

Old 01-23-2015, 02:04 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,593,164 times
Because people with money, and any lick of common sense, left the city for suburbs like Lancaster, Mechanicsburg, and Hershey. Harrisburg, like so many other PA cities, killed their downtown with their anti-business attitude. It's unfortunate, but it could have been prevented.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:27 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,554,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
Obviously your not from the Harrisburg area.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:30 PM

545 posts, read 1,096,588 times
Harrisburg is near Lancaster, York, and Reading. Individually, these metro areas only have about 500k people a piece. But if you consider them all one area, that is a lot of people living around there. Close to 2 million. I wouldn't say this is 'middle of nowhere'. Plus Harrisburg is less than 2 hours from Philly and same with Baltimore. State politics does dominate the Harrisburg region obviously but they also have headquarters around there for some big time companies, including Rite Aid and Hershey. I think South Central PA is underrated in terms of how populated it is. Am I right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area