Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 05:02 PM

165 posts, read 230,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
I-83 is a motherf*cker at certain times! The location of this potential job for me is on Paxton St. I actually looked apartments in the area of Union Deposit Rd and Colonial Park and they're a little cheaper over there
The area I lived in was Colonial Park, and its location was awesome, the best thing about the area. There are some dumps and some deals but its prices are going up. When I left Union Deposit looked more affordable but don't know about the places, only word of mouth.

I totally agree with I-83, it seems that after 2 - 2:30 in the afternoon, business picks up, the rush hour is a nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampTrill View Post
I am also looking at housing/apartment options in the Camp Hill & Harrisburg area. As I am not familiar with the area, I was hoping to get away with $500-$600 for a one bedroom apartment (no pets), and that looks to be pretty darn near impossible unfortunately. There was one apartment building I had found that actually had a dog park on the premises...if I find it again; I'll post it here for you...may be something worth looking into!
Some places offer deals, if you get lucky enough to find a one apartment for that price, I hope you enjoy the laundromat because almost for sure, you will not have a washer and dryer. Most places, studios are barely in that price range. As Supertrucker said, most likely if you see a price like that it is probably a dump. Just see the place before committing. Pennsylvania may at one time been affordable but not so much anymore, and it is getting worse.

Last edited by Jahodor; 04-08-2015 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: Bad grammar

Old 04-14-2015, 09:08 PM

92 posts, read 115,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodor View Post
The area I lived in was Colonial Park, and its location was awesome, the best thing about the area. There are some dumps and some deals but its prices are going up. When I left Union Deposit looked more affordable but don't know about the places, only word of mouth.

I totally agree with I-83, it seems that after 2 - 2:30 in the afternoon, business picks up, the rush hour is a nightmare.
I have only ever been in Camp Hill/Harrisburg area once, and it was for my interview. I ended up in Lower Paxton/Union Deposit at their Panera Bread (GPS got me there). From there I left to go home, thought I was getting on U.S.322W, and somehow ended up on I-83 & I-81 (I think?), before I made it back to the U.S.322W that I was familiar with. Hit it around 3pm. Definitely not my cup of tea. There's obviously ways around this route (because that's not the route I took to get there!), but that's what my GPS told me to do, so I listened...

At any rate, I have started looking closer at some apartment options and found a few in the lower $700s that look decent. Mulberry Station Apartments looked pretty nice and was priced around $740. I like the websites that actually tell you their rates, and not to call etc. Another that I liked quite a bit was Fairmount Park Apartments but couldn't tell what their exact rate was without calling/contacting them.

Also, if anyone from that area has any neighborhoods that they would consider less than desirable (a little dumpy? for lack of better phrase)...please let me know! It's kind of hard to tell from photos alone.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampTrill View Post
I have only ever been in Camp Hill/Harrisburg area once, and it was for my interview. I ended up in Lower Paxton/Union Deposit at their Panera Bread (GPS got me there). From there I left to go home, thought I was getting on U.S.322W, and somehow ended up on I-83 & I-81 (I think?), before I made it back to the U.S.322W that I was familiar with. Hit it around 3pm. Definitely not my cup of tea. There's obviously ways around this route (because that's not the route I took to get there!), but that's what my GPS told me to do, so I listened...

At any rate, I have started looking closer at some apartment options and found a few in the lower $700s that look decent. Mulberry Station Apartments looked pretty nice and was priced around $740. I like the websites that actually tell you their rates, and not to call etc. Another that I liked quite a bit was Fairmount Park Apartments but couldn't tell what their exact rate was without calling/contacting them.

Also, if anyone from that area has any neighborhoods that they would consider less than desirable (a little dumpy? for lack of better phrase)...please let me know! It's kind of hard to tell from photos alone.
Make sure you get a good look at some of those places, especially on Friday evenings and see what the neighborhood is like. US322 is a pretty solid route. You may get some some decent deals before the summer starts, late in the year to early spring is the best chances to grab places. Once the kids get out of school, the prices will most likely increase.

Best of wishes to find what you are looking for.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:26 PM

4 posts, read 8,446 times
Lamp,
We are living in Mulberry Station now. Just starting a new job with the State and working per diem at a hospital in the area. The 2nd Street that runs along the place isn't too bad, at rush hour it's a bit busy but you can exit at a light, turn onto Front St., Left onto Paxton and straight on to wherever it is you're going. In am traffic it's not that bad, coming back not too bad either since you're close.
Problems here are maybe not a big deal. When the last Apt manager retired, it seemed to go a bit down hill. A few townhouses here have several people (young guys) apparently rooming together- we weren't allowed to do this when we moved in a year ago, everybody on the lease or let them know who would be staying extended time... Also, a couple people would let their friends stay here on weekends while they were gone- that has been a nightmare with noise going til 3 am...and many of us work at the hospitals around here needing to be up at 5 am to work on weekends.
We have a garage that you can pull two cars into, one behind the other. HOWEVER, all the local commuters for the hospital/offices around the area park on these streets, since they are public streets (Mulberry for example) and it gives them free parking. You WILL constantly have some idiot that parks in your cutout or far enough in to block you being able to enter or leave... of course the leaving part is the real problem if somebody parks it and walks away and you can't get your car out. This has been the worst part of living here- most of us, as soon as we come home, park a car in the driveway, with the ass end sticking out a bit just to be sure we can leave. Management cares not one bit. Even if there's an issue with somebody living here, they just say call the cops.
Weekends are usually the worst- not sure what type of background checks are going on with a lot of people moving in. Parties are happening a lot, and late late into the night. Drunks will keep buzzing your apt and you have to call the cops- if somebody buzzes one in, they will sleep on the stairs for a nice surprise in the next morning when you're unexpectedly greeted while walking downstairs... or you find a nice smelly pile of vomit outside the door.
Along with a few others here, we've seen a couple fights among the thugs around here.. there's another apt complex on the other side that seems to have a constant stream of cars in and out all day/night and it spills over here often. We have a nice courtyard inside the apt complex, but we've had a couple aggressive dogs running loose there- most aren't trained well and don't play nicely with other dogs or kids, not cool of their owners but they aren't the type to take advice.
We are leaving this summer- with a more stable job we had enough saved up for a house.
Rent went up this last year at Mulberry, we have a small two-bedroom apt and it's around 950 every month and that includes NOTHING. You pay all your own utilities, nothing is included. The Central air/heat systems are antiquated, loud and really ruin the porches since they are mounted right inside that area and they are loud, rickety rusty noise. Nobody ever really maintains them or checks on them. Your heat bill will be astronomical, since the area where the HVAC fan unit is at is insulated with.... plastic checkout bags.. yes that's right, tons of plastic wadded up checkout bags were shoved in around the area, lol... we hadn't noticed that until about a month after moving in and looking in the door to see why this unit was so noisy.
Your mileage may vary of course, but these are a few issues you may need to keep in the back of your mind when looking around. During the week, the place is decent, not too loud, and you can keep your car out to maintain access... location is why they charge what they charge around here. Good luck!

Old 04-27-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Kelt View Post
Lamp,
We are living in Mulberry Station now. Just starting a new job with the State and working per diem at a hospital in the area. The 2nd Street that runs along the place isn't too bad, at rush hour it's a bit busy but you can exit at a light, turn onto Front St., Left onto Paxton and straight on to wherever it is you're going. In am traffic it's not that bad, coming back not too bad either since you're close.
Problems here are maybe not a big deal. When the last Apt manager retired, it seemed to go a bit down hill. A few townhouses here have several people (young guys) apparently rooming together- we weren't allowed to do this when we moved in a year ago, everybody on the lease or let them know who would be staying extended time... Also, a couple people would let their friends stay here on weekends while they were gone- that has been a nightmare with noise going til 3 am...and many of us work at the hospitals around here needing to be up at 5 am to work on weekends.
We have a garage that you can pull two cars into, one behind the other. HOWEVER, all the local commuters for the hospital/offices around the area park on these streets, since they are public streets (Mulberry for example) and it gives them free parking. You WILL constantly have some idiot that parks in your cutout or far enough in to block you being able to enter or leave... of course the leaving part is the real problem if somebody parks it and walks away and you can't get your car out. This has been the worst part of living here- most of us, as soon as we come home, park a car in the driveway, with the ass end sticking out a bit just to be sure we can leave. Management cares not one bit. Even if there's an issue with somebody living here, they just say call the cops.
Weekends are usually the worst- not sure what type of background checks are going on with a lot of people moving in. Parties are happening a lot, and late late into the night. Drunks will keep buzzing your apt and you have to call the cops- if somebody buzzes one in, they will sleep on the stairs for a nice surprise in the next morning when you're unexpectedly greeted while walking downstairs... or you find a nice smelly pile of vomit outside the door.
Along with a few others here, we've seen a couple fights among the thugs around here.. there's another apt complex on the other side that seems to have a constant stream of cars in and out all day/night and it spills over here often. We have a nice courtyard inside the apt complex, but we've had a couple aggressive dogs running loose there- most aren't trained well and don't play nicely with other dogs or kids, not cool of their owners but they aren't the type to take advice.
We are leaving this summer- with a more stable job we had enough saved up for a house.
Rent went up this last year at Mulberry, we have a small two-bedroom apt and it's around 950 every month and that includes NOTHING. You pay all your own utilities, nothing is included. The Central air/heat systems are antiquated, loud and really ruin the porches since they are mounted right inside that area and they are loud, rickety rusty noise. Nobody ever really maintains them or checks on them. Your heat bill will be astronomical, since the area where the HVAC fan unit is at is insulated with.... plastic checkout bags.. yes that's right, tons of plastic wadded up checkout bags were shoved in around the area, lol... we hadn't noticed that until about a month after moving in and looking in the door to see why this unit was so noisy.
Your mileage may vary of course, but these are a few issues you may need to keep in the back of your mind when looking around. During the week, the place is decent, not too loud, and you can keep your car out to maintain access... location is why they charge what they charge around here. Good luck!
I am not sure if you had to deal with this but another bad thing was the solicitors and they were bad in the apartments in Colonial Park.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:34 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,391,893 times
I'm about ready to give up relocating. For what I would make at this job, considering the size of the apartment I need at what they cost it put me in a financial bind. $800 is the max I can spend on rent, (considering utilities in addition to that), I need a two bedroom or 800 sqft minimum because of my son and I have cat. I just couldn't find anything in the budget.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
I'm about ready to give up relocating. For what I would make at this job, considering the size of the apartment I need at what they cost it put me in a financial bind. $800 is the max I can spend on rent, (considering utilities in addition to that), I need a two bedroom or 800 sqft minimum because of my son and I have cat. I just couldn't find anything in the budget.
Even if you could find something for 800, keep in mind demand for apartments could cause your rent to go up substantially when it is time to renew your lease. It happened to me and was the main reason I left the area. House rentals was difficult to find because I had a dog. You may be able to find a house rental that will at least takes cats.

Sorry you are going through this but unfortunately you are not the only one experiencing this. Best of wishes in your search.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Kelt View Post
Lamp,

I thank you for your personal review. This is the types of things I like to read (both the good AND bad about a property) from someone who has experienced it & lived there. I know if I go and tour any place you only hear the positives.

I am still keeping Mulberry Station on my list of potentials, because it does look rather appealing. I hadn't really thought of the parking being an issue since it appears there is a garage of some sort, but I also didn't realize that it was on a public street either. What is the apartment complex nearby? I have been trying to figure out which one you might be referring to. Also, what is the difference between a 1Bed & a 1Bed Premiere?

Also, for anyone that lives in the area/is familiar with this kind of stuff....if you could choose any month (July-September) would you say one is better than another to move? Price wise, mainly? Would one month be cheaper than another? Any insight on this?

Old 05-14-2015, 10:43 AM

Also, does anyone have any insight on what the commute from Mechanicsburg to Camp Hill might be like? Or Enola to Camp Hill? Or Lemoyne to Camp Hill?
I have found a few options in these areas that are within my budget and look nice, and seem to be cheaper than the Camp Hill/Harrisburg areas for similar setups. I am looking to keep the commute between 20-30 minutes (even during rush hour). Are any of these decent options? Are there any other areas that may fit the above criteria in regards to commuting time? I'm not all that familiar with their traffic patterns out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area