U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,243 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be relocating to Chambersburg, PA this summer and are in the beginning stages of looking for a home to purchase. We'd like to live within the town of Chambersburg in order to have as short a commute as possible, also we've been living in the ex-urbs of our current city for the past 8 years and miss living in an actual city/town. We'd would like to know if there are particular areas to be wary of and which areas of town are more desirable? Anything else that I should keep in mind while searching for homes in this area? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 05:42 AM

Location: somewhere on I-35 in-between Austin and San Antonio
280 posts, read 267,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish193 View Post
My wife and I will be relocating to Chambersburg, PA this summer and are in the beginning stages of looking for a home to purchase. We'd like to live within the town of Chambersburg in order to have as short a commute as possible, also we've been living in the ex-urbs of our current city for the past 8 years and miss living in an actual city/town. We'd would like to know if there are particular areas to be wary of and which areas of town are more desirable? Anything else that I should keep in mind while searching for homes in this area? Thanks in advance.
Chambersburg is a rather small, sleepy town. I don't know of any particular areas of town you should avoid. In a town like Chambersburg, I think you should be more wary of certain people rather than areas of town. It's a nice town and the people there tend to be a little more relaxed and friendly compared to people in the Harrisburg, York, Lancaster triangle.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:57 PM

1,737 posts, read 1,461,260 times
I live in Chambersburg. If you want to live "in town" then near the Chambersburg Hospital is nice. There's some nice homes on 5th and 6th St. Also, over by the High-School it's fairly quiet, and over by Wilson College. Lots of other areas too that are not so close to the town center,
There are some more run down areas of town, South Main, and around the South Gate shopping center. Behind the shopping center is Meadow Creek manor aka the "projects" and they sometimes get a bad reputation. However, none of those areas are that bad really. And the borough cops have started foot patrols all over the town to increase safety and for PR.
All in all, it's not a bad place to live, there's plenty to do, esp. in the spring, summer and fall, and it's close to a lot of other stuff. you can just hop on I-81 or routes 11 or 30 and go. I love Caledonia state park which is east on 30 between Chambersburg and Gettysburg,

Old 04-24-2015, 03:58 PM

I will caution that there is serious lack of public transportation We only have a couple of taxis and a Senior citizen/low-income type shuttle bus.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:02 PM

1,131 posts, read 682,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
I will caution that there is serious lack of public transportation We only have a couple of taxis and a Senior citizen/low-income type shuttle bus.
Why would anybody WANT public transportation?

Old 04-27-2015, 06:04 AM

Umm... because many seniors and low-income people have a hard time getting around. Also, as a back-up for everyone else to get around and it's better for the environment. We don't even have bus service between towns anymore.
When you live in a community and you care about the community, you should want what's best for the community (your neighbors) as a whole.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:26 AM

165 posts, read 140,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Why would anybody WANT public transportation?
I am confused about why someone would ask this question.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,243 times
Thank you very much, this was quite helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area