Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,093 times

Advertisements

We are an African American family looking to relocate from Baltimore County, MD to York County, PA. I really became interested in the area after looking at homes built by Keystone Custom homes and Ryan Homes. What I would like to know, from people with experience with the area, are there any areas of diversity? For instance, i'm looking at the Dallastown and red lion areas. Would my daughter be the only minority in her class? Or even school? I grew up in Montgomery County, MD and loved the diversity and different cultures. I don't want my daughter to grow up without that. We've driven through neighborhoods and didn't really see much diversity. Even got a few stares as if we were out of place. I listed some info below so you can get a better idea of our situation. Look forward to all your comments and thoughts!!

When are you moving? Within the next year

Where are you coming from? Baltimore County

Why are you moving? To purchase our first home and be closer to husband's job (truck driver based out of PA)

Where will you be working? Husband is a truck driver based out of PA. I have experience in banking, So if I decided to return to work I would be looking for the same.

Have you been here yet? We've driven through looking at the new housing developments. Haven't spent any significant amount of time.

Will you buy or rent? Buy

If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? House

How much can you spend? 150-210k

Are you married or single? Married

Do you have children? 1, planning on more

Do you prefer public or private schools? Both are up for consideration

Do you have pets? Not currently

Do you want or need a yard? Would like a backyard

Are you keeping a car? Current have 2 cars and a motorcycle

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Prefer the suburban feel.

What do you want to be closest to?
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
We'd love a diverse neighborhood, but would like that to really include DIVERSE group of races
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 02:17 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syke3788 View Post
We are an African American family looking to relocate from Baltimore County, MD to York County, PA. I really became interested in the area after looking at homes built by Keystone Custom homes and Ryan Homes. What I would like to know, from people with experience with the area, are there any areas of diversity? For instance, i'm looking at the Dallastown and red lion areas. Would my daughter be the only minority in her class? Or even school? I grew up in Montgomery County, MD and loved the diversity and different cultures. I don't want my daughter to grow up without that. We've driven through neighborhoods and didn't really see much diversity. Even got a few stares as if we were out of place. I listed some info below so you can get a better idea of our situation. Look forward to all your comments and thoughts!!

When are you moving? Within the next year

Where are you coming from? Baltimore County

Why are you moving? To purchase our first home and be closer to husband's job (truck driver based out of PA)

Where will you be working? Husband is a truck driver based out of PA. I have experience in banking, So if I decided to return to work I would be looking for the same.

Have you been here yet? We've driven through looking at the new housing developments. Haven't spent any significant amount of time.

Will you buy or rent? Buy

If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? House

How much can you spend? 150-210k

Are you married or single? Married

Do you have children? 1, planning on more

Do you prefer public or private schools? Both are up for consideration

Do you have pets? Not currently

Do you want or need a yard? Would like a backyard

Are you keeping a car? Current have 2 cars and a motorcycle

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Prefer the suburban feel.

What do you want to be closest to?
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
We'd love a diverse neighborhood, but would like that to really include DIVERSE group of races
I don't know as I haven't been to Red Lion, but the answer is likely no diversity.

"The racial makeup of the borough was 97.12% White"

Red Lion, York County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-07-2015, 02:21 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
If you want to view the racial makeup of any school district in PA try this State web site:Find a District - PA School Performance Profile. Actually I clicked on York County; but it will work with any place in PA.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:07 PM

121 posts, read 260,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syke3788 View Post
Its whitebread around here, but not that white haha. There are small pockets of african american families in these school districts, so your child would not be the only non-white at school, but it is a majority white around here. If you are looking for slightly more diversity, look at West York School District as that tends to have more african american families than others without being "in the city".

Old 05-13-2015, 01:57 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
York Suburban has become more diverse in the last 5-10 years~Dallastown would also have a good mix of different cultures, races and heritages. Red Lion is not quite there yet. Southwestern might be another option to look at. Check the School Performance profiles or call the districts and ask for a tour of the school building near where you are considering a purchase. It's perfectly acceptable to shop a "school" or "school district" as you are your home. We would see family members touring often, checking on course offerings, athletics, academic and extra curricular offerings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
View detailed profiles of: