Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,348 times

Advertisements

Hi there.

My husband's company is moving to Lebanon PA in Dec. We are looking at areas to rent a house and need some advice on where to look.

From my research I've done, we definitely do not want to live in Lebanon. The max commute we'd want is about 30 min.

We have a 3.5 year old and 2 month old so a safe, family oriented/friendly area is really important to us.

Hershey looks nice, but what about Hummelstown or suburbs of Harrisburg? Someone we know suggested Linglestown?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 05:22 PM

145 posts, read 250,591 times
Hello. Moved here about a year ago from NW PA due to work and settled in Annville, which is in Lebanon County, but west of Lebanon City just on the Eastern edge of Palmyra which is next to Hershey. Lebanon gets a bad name for itself mostly I think due to the actual City of Lebanon which I agree and have heard is not attractive.

If you go east from Harrisburg you have in order...Hummelstown, Hershey, Palmyra, Annville, Cleona, Lebanon City. The first two are in Dauphin County and the other in Lebanon County. If I had to do it over again, I would likely take a more serious look at Hummelstown. Nice town, very good school district, stronger sense of community than Palmyra/Annville.

I believe you pay a little more being in Dauphin County? But other than that we are in the best area we feel based on what's around us. Lancaster County is just to our SE which has some nice countryside and things to do.

I know Linglestown is kind of sits above the areas I mentioned to the north near I-81 which has quit a bit of truck traffic. The town seems nice but I am unsure how the schools are up that way? I believe that area is slated for Central Dauphin and Central Dauphin East which I have heard both good and bad things about.

If you settle for Hummelstown, Hershey or Palmyra/Annville, you share more or less all the areas because the all blend together. The schools have their distinct differences I feel.

Good luck and feel free to ask any further questions. Welcome to central PA!

Old 08-31-2015, 05:26 PM

145 posts, read 250,591 times
To better answer your specific question, I would stay clear of Harrisburg itself. My opinion is at this point in our history is just like other cities where crime is a significant problem and if you can avoid it, do so. Renting a home in Hershey will be expensive in most areas. Again, I'd look at Hummelstown or Palmyra and Annville. These areas will all keep your commute to a minimum.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:43 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
All the roads around Lebanon City are slow, slow, slow especially US 422 to the west. The more precise location of the worksite will matter much to which direction is feasible to head out towards. Unless the work site is right off the I-81 "Lebanon" interchange several miles north out of the center at what locals call Lickdale, most likely Linglestown is more than 30 minutes one way especially on a weekday.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,348 times
Thanks for the replies. The company will be in the heart of downtown Lebanon. We were also told we might like areas like Mt. Joy, Lititz, or possibly down south towards Lancaster.

We are moving from a small town in Texas, so country life won't be too much of a shock, however my husband and I are originally from the Bay Area and are wanting to be more accessible to food, entertainment, stores, and generally more "things" to do..if that makes sense.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:01 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
In that case you will be better off looking to the south in the direction of Lancaster City, such as Manheim or Lititz. Lancaster has an Apple store, Harrisburg does not. As befitting the area sometimes called "Garden Spot of the World" there is something of a foodie culture there (see for example Lancaster Central Market ). Those who move directly from the bicoasts are surprised at local political and social conservatism, but maybe some of that will be less of a shock coming from small town TX.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:16 PM

84 posts, read 137,311 times
Why not live in Lebanon County then? Lebanon County itself is very quiet and has barely any crime. It's a very nice area. I grew up in Myerstown and I would suggest that or Newman's town, Richland, Schaefferstown, and areas around it. Even some of Berks country is very nice. All of those towns are east of Lebanon city and within 20 minutes. I can personally vouch for the EMS and fire in that area, it's all volunteer, and they are very dedicated to their community.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:38 AM

6 posts, read 7,875 times
Default Lebanon, PA

I have been reading the thread. We were actually thinking of moving to Lebanon. We have 2 children.
Is the Crime really bad there. I went on to Bert Spertlings best places, and put in the zip code and it comes up as low crime. I cannot seem to find anything on Lebanon, PA information wise. This makes me a little apprehensive about moving there. Now considering Lititz, instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania