Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 08:53 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,349,946 times

Advertisements

Hi. Yeah...I know it's extremely low, but I have to go with a single and a decent-sized back yard so I can fence for my dogs. I don't need more than 2 bedrooms with 1 1/2 baths.

I can substitute teach in any PA school district, so employment is not a problem. I will say, though, that I am 60 and on a limited income, but will collect SS at 62, so that should help a bit. Would LOVE Lancaster County, but it looks as though I'm priced out of that area for singles which aren't "handyman specials."

Now I HAVE checked out some "manufactured communities," but they don't allow fencing or Dobermans - and I'll ALWAYS have a least one Dobie until they drag me out feet first . I've become accustomed to societal ignorance, though it's not easy.

Are there any areas with natural gas heat which I greatly prefer to oil or (Lord forbid) electric? Been there.

If I MUST leave PA because of housing costs, I'll be broken-hearted and simply can NOTimagine living in the South with it's dank humidity.

Any particular neighborhood suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 09:50 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
Hershey is some of the most expensive real estate in the Harrisburg area, so I would not start there. Really you are going to have to go to a more smaller town/exurban/rural area if you want space and more modern in Eastern/Central PA.

Within Central PA I would suggest these areas:

Elizabethtown
Dillsburg
Etters
Northern York County
Chambersburg
Selinsgrove
Lebanon

These towns kind of go in every direction with Harrisburg as the starting point but they are all further out.

I would use those as a starting point. Most likely what you will find is a ranch or bi level. About 40 - 60 years old. Maybe a few updates. On anything from 1/4 - 1/2 of land is my guess.

Also housing is cheaper in Western PA, the outskirts of Pittsburgh might be an option. Or somewhere like Altoona ?

Or Northern PA. Like Scranton area.

I would post this to the Pittsburgh forum and see what you get. Housing is more affordable out there than the southern and eastern part of the state.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:53 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,349,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Hershey is some of the most expensive real estate in the Harrisburg area, so I would not start there. Really you are going to have to go to a more smaller town/exurban/rural area if you want space and more modern in Eastern/Central PA.

Within Central PA I would suggest these areas:

Elizabethtown
Dillsburg
Etters
Northern York County
Chambersburg
Selinsgrove
Lebanon

Thank you! Very kind of you to respond!

Old 10-26-2017, 02:27 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Middletown Borough (17057) has smaller single homes within that range.

I know that's not a Good School District (tm), but easy transportation links (road/air/rail), grocery stores still walkable from neighborhoods, and seemingly a bit larger lot size than most SE PA boroughs.

A couple of things to watch out for in Middletown are:
-flood zones
-Much of the land in town (north/east sides, the objectively more desirable areas) is/was owned by the Frey Trust. I understand some homeowners bought out the trust rights, but not others. I have heard at least one large mortgage lender in this area won't write loans on homes where the land remains in the trust's name, though the land rent is apparently long term and nominal.

I wish I knew how to find specific gas service areas, but they are spotty in southcentral PA. (As in, I can't get it in a 1970's relatively dense development, but on my back line is a 1990's larger-lot development that has gas, same township)

Old 10-26-2017, 03:10 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Look out around Elizabethtown. There might be some spots along Ridge road.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:33 PM

298 posts, read 482,017 times
There is a cute house in Cashtown (15 min from Gettysburg and about 20 min from Chambersburg) for sale for 99k. It looked like it had a nice yard and around 2 bedrooms or so. Someone just finished fixing it up and it has been on the market for about a month. Granted Cashtown is a very small town - 450 or so people and shopping won't be horribly easy - 15 min or 20 min away. But it has a small PO and small bank. Lots of orchards and farmland. Volunteer fire dept. Churches of course. We just moved there - well still in the process - and have already made friends.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:52 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,604,520 times
Have you considered Shippensburg, PA? You would have Shippensburg, Carlisle, Chambersburg, Big Spring, and South Middleton School Districts all within close driving distance. You also seem to get quite a bit of house for your money in Shippensburg; much more than in Lancaster County.

Here are some examples of homes in Shippensburg within your price range:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...92992417_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...78631542_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ect/12_zm/2_p/

The last home in an active adult community with very reasonably priced, one-level homes, so that may be something to look into.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:26 AM

298 posts, read 482,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalbooks View Post
There is a cute house in Cashtown (15 min from Gettysburg and about 20 min from Chambersburg) for sale for 99k. It looked like it had a nice yard and around 2 bedrooms or so. Someone just finished fixing it up and it has been on the market for about a month. Granted Cashtown is a very small town - 450 or so people and shopping won't be horribly easy - 15 min or 20 min away. But it has a small PO and small bank. Lots of orchards and farmland. Volunteer fire dept. Churches of course. We just moved there - well still in the process - and have already made friends.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...04_rect/13_zm/

Old 10-27-2017, 09:46 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Middletown Borough (17057) has smaller single homes within that range.

Agree with the above. My first house was in Middletown. Not the Borough, but in a suburban development well outside the Borough. This was in the late 80's so times, and prices have changed. I was working in Lancaster at the time. I looked in Hershey, but found I could get much more value in Lancaster, and it was a much better commute for me at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area