Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2018, 08:32 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,753 times

Advertisements

in Harrisburg and the surrounding areas?? I've interviewed for a job with the state and have other interviews beginning in the next year. Currently live in Saylorsburg, PA which is a 2 hour drive and I don't plan on doing considering my wife requires dialysis 5 times a week. We do the dialysis at home. The prospective job will be in a building across the street from the state Capitol so I'd like to be within a 1/2 hours distance from there. We're looking to rent instead of buying since at our age (both 58) we don't need the headaches anymore of home ownership. So we'd like to be in an area with people our age or younger but not the college-age crowd. We've already been warned to stay away from the area directly behind and to the northeast of the Capitol. Drove by there on our way home after the interview and it really did not look good at all. Max rent we can afford is $1200/month, have 3 Chihuahua's which are trained and house-broken, and 2 parakeets. Appreciate any info anyone can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 09:29 PM

92 posts, read 116,196 times
Welcome!

Are you looking to rent a single family house? Row home? Apartment? Condo?
What about parking situation...garage? Paid parking? On-street parking? Off-street parking? Paid parking? etc.

When you say you are looking for a commute of half hour or so - do you mean in rush hour? Or any time of day?

Old 12-19-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampTrill View Post
Welcome!

Are you looking to rent a single family house? Row home? Apartment? Condo?
What about parking situation...garage? Paid parking? On-street parking? Off-street parking? Paid parking? etc.

When you say you are looking for a commute of half hour or so - do you mean in rush hour? Or any time of day?
Please re-read my post....some of your questions are already answered....as for parking off-street would be ideal....for a half-hour commute from the state Capitol I don't think parking will be an issue....I don't plan on living in the town itself unless a good deal were found and I doubt it....and as for rush hour: REALLY in Harrisburg!! We're not talking Manhattan or the Lincoln Tunnel....how much traffic can that area have compared to major cities?? The job will Mon-Fri, 8am-4:30pm, no weekends nor nights.....

Old 12-19-2018, 07:56 PM

92 posts, read 116,196 times
I did re-read your post. And don't see where my questions were originally answered. You mention that you want to rent, rather than deal with home ownership. But, I didn't see where you specified what you want to rent - which is why I asked...apartment? condo? row home? single family home? This makes a difference.

If working near/at the state Capitol you will have to pay for your parking regardless. There may be a few exceptions (higher level executives etc may have their parking fees covered) otherwise you are on your own. Think it runs about $110 or so a month if leased just to park to go to work.

You may be surprised as far as the traffic goes. Not a large amount of folks live within the city, but a lot of folks commute into the city. There's only so many ways to get in, and so many ways to get out. You'll be traveling at the peak times with those hours.

I'd suggest the following West Shore communities - Camp Hill, New Cumberland, Lemoyne, Enola and Wormleysburg. All should fall within 30 minutes of downtown (unless there are accidents - so I'd stay away from I83). Close proximity to highways, shops, restaurants, etc. I wouldn't say that there any areas overflowing with college students. I've noticed more families than anything in this area.

Looking quickly I was able to find a 3br2ba home for rent in Lemoyne within your budget.
Here's another home with 2br1ba well within budget.
There's plenty more out there.

Last edited by LampTrill; 12-19-2018 at 08:18 PM..

Old 12-20-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampTrill View Post
I did re-read your post. And don't see where my questions were originally answered. You mention that you want to rent, rather than deal with home ownership. But, I didn't see where you specified what you want to rent - which is why I asked...apartment? condo? row home? single family home? This makes a difference.

If working near/at the state Capitol you will have to pay for your parking regardless. There may be a few exceptions (higher level executives etc may have their parking fees covered) otherwise you are on your own. Think it runs about $110 or so a month if leased just to park to go to work.

You may be surprised as far as the traffic goes. Not a large amount of folks live within the city, but a lot of folks commute into the city. There's only so many ways to get in, and so many ways to get out. You'll be traveling at the peak times with those hours.

I'd suggest the following West Shore communities - Camp Hill, New Cumberland, Lemoyne, Enola and Wormleysburg. All should fall within 30 minutes of downtown (unless there are accidents - so I'd stay away from I83). Close proximity to highways, shops, restaurants, etc. I wouldn't say that there any areas overflowing with college students. I've noticed more families than anything in this area.

Looking quickly I was able to find a 3br2ba home for rent in Lemoyne within your budget.
Here's another home with 2br1ba well within budget.
There's plenty more out there.

Thanks for the info, LampTrill....as far as the traffic for commuting I figured its the way you stated since I saw many articles online in the local newspapers about accidents and the such shutting down the highways during rush hour....I guess Harrisburg is not properly developed for the amount of traffic they're now seeing in the downtown area compared to years ago....you would think that being the state Capitol city it would be better taken care of by the elected officials but we don't even get that from the moron's running DC....but that's a whole other topic....I'll have to check out those communities you mention since a few of them were already mentioned to me by the waitress we spoke with at Cork & Fork who also moved down there recently....she said she lives in Camp Hill and loves it over there....the 2 houses you mention don't accept pets though but they are good choices....thanks again....greatly appreciated....

Old 12-20-2018, 10:04 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
Middletown might be an area to look at as well.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
Middletown might be an area to look at as well.

Looking there also....I have noticed that all utilities tend to be dumped on the renter in a lot of the rentals I've looked at online....never heard of renters having to pay for ALL utilities.....

Old 12-21-2018, 09:55 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Looking there also....I have noticed that all utilities tend to be dumped on the renter in a lot of the rentals I've looked at online....never heard of renters having to pay for ALL utilities.....
Really? That's the case that I've seen here in southwestern PA. I rent....and I even have to pay water/sewer (even though the city will not let a tenant put the bill in their name....my last 3 landlords just passed the charge on to me).

Old 03-07-2020, 07:34 AM

Looking for more input on my original post at top from anyone else willing to share info on surrounding areas in Harrisburg....the job I'm waiting to hear from with the state looks likely to come through finally....appreciate some good guidance from long time residents and recent movers to the area also....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area