U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 07:42 AM

77 posts, read 206,762 times
Default West Perry County

Can someone tell me if Comcast or Verizon cable TV/Internet, etc. or something comparable is available in the Ickesburg-Rts 17 and 74 area?

Can you also tell me how well those routes are maintained during the winter months ie: snow storms.

Can you also tell me if there are decent Drs. and other med facilities relatively nearby.

In short, other than schools; whatever info you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 07:30 AM

Default Someone something ?

So does anyone here live anywhere in Perry County and have an opinion of the area? Again not interested in hearing about schools but everything else.

While Clinton/Obama/McCain seems to generate the most passion and response here, I'm not interested in who your voting for, just your thoughts regarding Perry County and perhaps southeast Juniata as well.

Thanks
Mike

Old 04-20-2008, 08:28 AM

4 posts, read 8,289 times
There is cable in different parts of Perry County. The best way to find out is to call the providers and ask about that particular area.

I live in Elliottsburg and where I am at we don't have cable. I however wouldn't buy it anyway. I love my Direct TV. I also have Wildblue for satilite internet.

As for Doctors we use the Perry Health Center in Loysville. The doctors are very caring and even had one that came to our home to visit my dieing grandfather. I am very happy with them.

Since I grew up in this area and am a REALTOR feel free to ask me anything or I can hook you up with someone that does.

This is a great area. I move away for a while but always came back. You can't beat the friendly people here.

Lisa
[url=http://www.agentpapp.com]AgentpappHOME[/url]

Old 04-20-2008, 10:16 AM

Thanks Lisa! We're looking at vacant land in various areas of the county, Icekesburg, Loysville, New Bethlehem and Liverpool to mention a few, with an eye toward building.......soon.

My sister in law is a real estate agent with the Homestead Group-Centralpa but I wanted to hear from residents.

We want the privacy and seclusion but not too far from needs, conveniences and amenities.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:46 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,021,749 times
I live a couple miles from Perry county, but don't know much about it. It's so sparsely populated and has very little say in the direction of the Harrisburg metro. All I really know is a lot of "country-folk" live there.

Basically, for every major service you are going to have to travel to Cumberland county.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:13 PM

160 posts, read 390,555 times
I spent 10 years living in Juniata County (outside Mifflintown, the county seat) so I know a bit about life in rural central PA.

Basically, it comes down to how much you are willing travel (ie, drive) at whatever the cost of gas per gallon may rise to over the coming years) for whatever you need from outside the area you move to. Friends of mine in southeastern Juniata Co. (near the border with Perry Co. at route 850 I think it was) thought little in the late 90s of driving a 50+ mile round trip to eat at McDonald's in Mifflintown or drive a 100+ mile round trip to shop at WAL-MART outside of Lewistown in Mifflin Co.

I don't recall what you posted, if anything, about whether commuting for employment will be a factor. Plenty of folks I knew in Perry Co. worked in the Harrisburg area, both east and west shores, but gas was about a buck a gallon at that point.

I read this forum almost daily, and find myself shaking my head in disbelief at the many posters who are willing to move to -- or build in -- areas between 50 and 70 miles one way of where they need to be every day. Just to avoid property taxes and have a McMansion. I got lots of comments from friends and neighbors in Juniata about how moving to Harrisburg was a mistake due to the hideous expense of city life compared to rural. Well, the property taxes are higher, true, by about $1400 per year. But everything else is way cheaper, so it is definitely a net savings for us.

There are a few other issues with rural life. Most important IMO is water. During one dry period in the early 90s our well was bringing up some sand, but it rained a lot shortly thereafter. I know that several small towns in Perry Co. have had serious water issues recently because the community water system wells are inadequate to meet rising demand. The other is agri business and how close you are willing to live to a chicken or pig farm, or to fields that are spray-treated with 'natural' fertilizers. We were surrounded by dairy farms which are very low impact...unless having a vehicle smeared daily by mud and cow patties is a problem for your business attire.

Other than the above, the scenery is nice!

Old 04-20-2008, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the reply. We're retired and in our mid 50's. We moved from Pittsburgh to Cape May NJ in '02, like the area but the cost of living, in particular the taxes is very high. In Pa our pensions wouldn't be taxed and property tax would probably be 1/3 of what we now pay.

We're both pretty much homebodies so the relative seclusion isn't much of an issue though we do enjoy the library and occasional restaurant. We don't mind driving to shopping areas, etc. Of course we hope to make some friends in the area.

I'm a woodturner/woodworker, I have a large shop here and would build the same there, being outside of a development is a plus, neighbors don't care for piles of wood and sounds of machinery.

My wife is a member of several chapters of the Sweet Adelines Intl, a choral group, so she'd be driving to the SE side of Harrisburg weekly, where the local chapter holds it's rehearsals.

I'm an American Civil War buff so I'd be driving to Gettysburg once or twice per month.

I also enjoy fishing.........

While we'd like to be a bit closer to "civilization", ie: Harrisburg, Carlisle, York, etc., Perry and Juniata are at the top of our property search areas due to the fact that vacant property appears much less expensive there compared to Adams, York, Lebanon, etc. Plus it appears to be 20 - 40 minutes to Carlisle, Harrisburg, etc., which isn't terribly far when you don't have to make a daily commute.

Anyway, mostly looking for comments on those areas...thanks again.

Mike

Old 04-22-2008, 10:22 AM

12 posts, read 62,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToTheCityMouse View Post
I spent 10 years living in Juniata County (outside Mifflintown, the county seat) so I know a bit about life in rural central PA.

Basically, it comes down to how much you are willing travel (ie, drive) at whatever the cost of gas per gallon may rise to over the coming years) for whatever you need from outside the area you move to. Friends of mine in southeastern Juniata Co. (near the border with Perry Co. at route 850 I think it was) thought little in the late 90s of driving a 50+ mile round trip to eat at McDonald's in Mifflintown or drive a 100+ mile round trip to shop at WAL-MART outside of Lewistown in Mifflin Co.

I don't recall what you posted, if anything, about whether commuting for employment will be a factor. Plenty of folks I knew in Perry Co. worked in the Harrisburg area, both east and west shores, but gas was about a buck a gallon at that point.

I read this forum almost daily, and find myself shaking my head in disbelief at the many posters who are willing to move to -- or build in -- areas between 50 and 70 miles one way of where they need to be every day. Just to avoid property taxes and have a McMansion. I got lots of comments from friends and neighbors in Juniata about how moving to Harrisburg was a mistake due to the hideous expense of city life compared to rural. Well, the property taxes are higher, true, by about $1400 per year. But everything else is way cheaper, so it is definitely a net savings for us.

There are a few other issues with rural life. Most important IMO is water. During one dry period in the early 90s our well was bringing up some sand, but it rained a lot shortly thereafter. I know that several small towns in Perry Co. have had serious water issues recently because the community water system wells are inadequate to meet rising demand. The other is agri business and how close you are willing to live to a chicken or pig farm, or to fields that are spray-treated with 'natural' fertilizers. We were surrounded by dairy farms which are very low impact...unless having a vehicle smeared daily by mud and cow patties is a problem for your business attire.

Other than the above, the scenery is nice!
I think it depends on what you want and we all know that we will pay for something we want. So to drive 40 miles each way to the city even at today's gas prices might be worth it if you don't want the craziness or HBG. I mean HBG is on its 5 murdr all ready and I bet Perry County don't get that many if 4 years total.

I grew up in Shipensburg, PA and then moved to Harrisburg for 10 years. Now while I can say that I got use to having 30 movie screens, 4 malls, every restaurant you wanted and bars etc. I also had to deal with my work was held up and my employees were duct tapped, gagged and held at gun point. Plus my car was vandalized three times, and traffic sucked. I moved to OHIO and now I got a offer back in Harrisburg. BUT this time I am moving home with my family and my wife got a job in Hagerstwon and I will ride the CAT Shuttle form Shippensburg to Harrisburg each day and I am willing to do that because I like small towns.

As I said I like all of the things HBG had to offer but as I turn 40 this year and I have a daughter starting in 9th grade i know that i got to give to get

Old 05-08-2008, 06:10 AM

140 posts, read 494,897 times
Hello Mike
I own some property in Ickersburg but at this point I don't live there fulltime.
The cable co is Nittany Media out of Lewistown,Pa (nittanymedia.com) I havn't had any problems with them. They have much better customer service then Comcast.
I love the quietness of the area. I live in Adams co. (east of Gettysburg) during the week ,so you are about 1hr 20 min from G-burg. Hanover/Gettysburg area is growing to fast for me thats why I bought a place in Ickesburg. I really don't know much about the schools since my kids don't go there. Shopping wise Ickesburg has a gas station with conv. store, hardware/grocery/restaurant combo,beer store,and another restaurant. Mifflintown up Rt 74 over the mountain (20 min) has a Weis grocery,Sheetz,McDonalds,Burger King,Dollar store,and others.
Hope this helps

Bob

Old 05-08-2008, 05:34 PM

2,786 posts, read 5,221,602 times
There is also a McDonald's near Newport (the McD's is located at the US 22/322 and PA 34 interchange), but the Mifflintown McDonald's is probably closer.

I haven't been through Ickesburg (pronounced Ick-ees-burg BTW) in 2-3 years, but I think there is a pizza shop there too. It is a very small town, but in that part of Perry County (west of New Bloomfield), it is actually one of the larger towns around. I have no idea where the nearest, relatively large grocery store is located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area