Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2022, 02:21 PM

942 posts, read 2,520,264 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We were looking at relocating to the Pittsburgh area, but were surprised by the amount that property taxes can be reassessed, and increased, when purchasing a home. Apparently, it is colloquially referred to as a "newcomer's tax." Does anyone know what happens if a property is purchased in this area? If I see property taxes listed at $5,000, is it likely they will go up substantially after I purchase the home? In Pittsburgh, everybody we asked remained highly non-committal, which is too hard on our budget.

Any insight would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 05:18 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Many times assessments lag behind market price. When you buy a house your price becomes the new taxable assessment, so it rises.

In Pennsylvania adjoining areas can have wildly different tax rates and assessments. That's driven by the school district where the house is located. Unlike some states Pennsylvania does not generally have, except a couple exceptions for very rural Counties, a County based school system, school districts are based on a town or township (EX: Carlisle Area School District and Big Spring Area School District, to name just two of the nine in Cumberland County)

https://www.k12academics.com/nationa...nia/Cumberland

The property tax rates will vary between all of them.

Old 10-15-2022, 06:09 PM

942 posts, read 2,520,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Many times assessments lag behind market price. When you buy a house your price becomes the new taxable assessment, so it rises.

In Pennsylvania adjoining areas can have wildly different tax rates and assessments. That's driven by the school district where the house is located. Unlike some states Pennsylvania does not generally have, except a couple exceptions for very rural Counties, a County based school system, school districts are based on a town or township (EX: Carlisle Area School District and Big Spring Area School District, to name just two of the nine in Cumberland County)

https://www.k12academics.com/nationa...nia/Cumberland

The property tax rates will vary between all of them.
Thank you! So, if we buy a house in mechanicsburg and the current taxes are $4,000, will the taxes we pay go up prior to everyone else being reassessed in the area?

Old 10-18-2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
Thank you! So, if we buy a house in mechanicsburg and the current taxes are $4,000, will the taxes we pay go up prior to everyone else being reassessed in the area?
Probably. Your purchase price, if it's higher than the assessment, will become the new assessable base.

Don't count on regular reassessments in much of Pennsylvania like many other states do (Maryland reassesses every three years), some jurisdictions haven't had a reassessment for over sixty years. They count on rising prices on sales, which kicks the number up, and tax rate adjustments to increase revenues, as well as local income and other taxes.

Clarion County is now doing its first reassessment since the 1970s and the screaming has already started.

Old 10-25-2022, 07:25 AM

10,846 posts, read 4,529,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Clarion County is now doing its first reassessment since the 1970s and the screaming has already started.

and my shop and 3 outbuildings now sit there.....I cant *wait* <-- dripping sarcasm

I take it you have property up there?

Old 11-03-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
and my shop and 3 outbuildings now sit there.....I cant *wait* <-- dripping sarcasm

I take it you have property up there?
No "property" but coal rights under property someone else owns. Convoluted reason why. My family, especially my mother's side, never did anything the easy way.

Old 11-03-2022, 04:20 PM

730 posts, read 600,480 times
I had this exact same question when we bought a house a couple years ago. We moved here from out of state and I was trying to get a handle on how it would go for us. We bought a house from a contractor who bought it cheap (it was in bad shape when he bought it!) and spent a year doing a top to bottom, inside out renovation of it. (He did a great job, btw!) Because it was a distressed property when he bought it I wondered what would happen to the property taxes after such a huge renovation and upgrades. I had very little success in getting any light shed on this. Not from real estate agents, not from the local taxing authority. The taxes in its old state seemed manageable ... but what about next year and the next year? ........

We just went ahead and took our chances. We bought the house. In our experience (like others have said, this will probably vary from place to place) we did get a re-assessment for the property having been improved but it only increased the base for taxing valuation by about $10,000. That increased the property taxes by a very modest amount. I don't remember the actual dollar increase in property taxes, but I'm thinking it was in the $300 range. It turned out not to be a problem.

Not sure if that's helpful for you, but it was our experience in Lancaster PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area