U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 02:08 PM

429 posts, read 2,110,810 times
If you are moving in from out of town, Hershey is the most accepting area for non-natives. This is due to Hershey Corporate and Hershey Medical Center bringing in people. The Hershey area in general is tough to find a job unless you were raised in Pennsylvania and the people there are distrustful of outsiders. They also did not seem to be aware of anything beyond the county border.

Had one friend that had graduated from MIT and the person doing the interview wanted to know if that was a "tech school, kind of like DeVry or ITT".

Best description that I have heard about Pennsylvania came from James Carville who was doing a political campaign for someone in the state. He said that Pennsylvania is Alabama without the accent.

The day my wife got out of grad school in Hershey, I was almost waiting in the parking lot of her school with everything packed and ready to roll that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 05:12 PM

11 posts, read 33,575 times
Most of my family live near Harrisburg. Many work on the Hill. They all live in Dover or Red Lion which are small town suburbs outside of Harrisburg. York county is really on the rise with new schools. They are popping up everywhere. The area is close to the outlets yet far enough that you don't deal with the traffic. York schools are highly competative and you won't leave by the end of the day feeling like you are ashamed of where you work. I highly recommend the place.

Old 08-16-2006, 02:55 PM

4 posts, read 17,803 times
Default Hershey/Harrisburg

Hershey indeed looks nice, smells nice and IS accepting for "non-natives" particularly if you are over sixty five and play alot of golf. (There are NINE golf courses withen the town limits) However, it is expensive, elitest,racist and overrated. The individual who denied that drugs were a problem has their head in the sand. The only difference between Hershey and many other towns its size is that folks there can afford to buy better drugs. The school district is fine IF you have money and your child is of above average intelligence. Special needs kids are pretty much neglected. The whole system is achievment orientented (get into the best, most expensive college, dress nicely and either be W.A.S.P or foreign-born.) The latter, however ONLY works if you have a parent associated with the Medical Center or who is a Hershey executive. Head south into Lancaster county -- the kids may not all go to college and the lawns may not all be evenly trimmed, but the people are VERY kind and caring. I lived in Hershey for twenty-some years -- it is a city without a middle class! Totally synthetic!

Old 08-16-2006, 06:21 PM

221 posts, read 701,154 times
I agree- my impression of Hershey is that it is a transient place, not a community. It IS a lovely place, though .....to VISIT.

Go south to Lancaster and find kind people? I would have to disagree with that. I have never met more cold, aloof, suspicious people in my life. Again- lots of interesting touristy things to do- then hop in your car and GO!

Old 08-16-2006, 10:28 PM

70 posts, read 9,767 times
Sigh... here I am complaining about Lancaster again after just saying elsewhere I wouldn't.

People in Lancaster are kind and caring if and only if you are a conservative, churchgoing Republican whose idea of a good time is going to a fatty buffet restaurant once a month. Oh yeah and if you're a woman you must either have kids or want them really really bad and talk about in incessantly.

If you don't match all those criteria prepare for a chilly reception. Lancaster people are reserved but have no problem letting you know you're not welcome.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:54 AM

221 posts, read 701,154 times
LOL Some of us ARE churchgoing Republicans, yet are still considered unwelcomed "transplant outsiders".

Perhaps I need to start going to Shady Maple every week and put on some pounds.

Last edited by Oldiebutgoodie26; 08-17-2006 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 08-17-2006, 06:50 AM

4 posts, read 17,803 times
Wink SOME apologies to Herehey

Yes, some of us "church-going Republicans" don't really care for the food around here (Lancaster Co.)!! There are several good resturants in Hershey however There is one Italian Resturant not far from the Med Center Di-?something right off 422. And there is a little gem out 422 (Chocolate Ave) The Hershey Pantry. It is small but worth the wait.
Also, I should have mentioned, there is a quality school district right between Lancaster Co. and Hershey, but still in Dauphin Co. -- Lower Dauphin Schools. There are folks in Hershey who, a number of years ago moved into the area thinking they would be sending their kids to Hershey Schools and found themselves in the L.D. district. To their pleasant surprise it is easily as good as if not better than, Hershey Schools. (Much less "uppity" about themselves) Laurel Woods on the south side of Hershey is a lovely area that is in this catagory. By the way the Med Center (Penn State) really is world class, the biggest problem however is the wait to see some of the physicians.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:44 AM

Yeah Lancaster is the only place I've lived where being hefty is a social plus... weird. Shady Maple really creeps me out. Nothing against the Bible but I don't want to read apocalyptic passages from the Book of Isiah while eating...

Last edited by mjk1093; 08-17-2006 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-17-2006, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,527 times
Well, I was raised here in Hershey, a graduate of Hershey High school. I am currently sending you yhis from the Hershey Library(which is very nice). However, I could never afford to live here. The people are so-so, just like everywhere else in the USA. In general the people are friendlier than in most big cities . No real serious crime here, just you're regular drug- related stuff. Safe to walk at night in most areas(EXCEPT Briarcrest Gardens where an armed assault just recently occured) I agree with most everything the people before me said. STAY OUT of the city of Harrisburg unless you're looking for drugs or want to fight or commit suicide. Years ago, I think around 1978 Harrisburg was No. 1 in crime in the USA Later!!!

Old 08-20-2006, 07:50 PM

What the city was like in 1978 hardly gives an accurate impression of what it's like now. Just think of the difference between NYC then and now. In my opinion besides certain neighborhoods (Allison Hill, Steelton), Harrisburg is a great place to live. It has made numerous "Top Ten" lists of the best cities in the whole country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area