Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2009, 01:01 PM

515 posts, read 1,692,167 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that a fair number of people living in the Harrisburg suburbs indicate that they are former residents of Northern Virginia (or vice-versa).

We're planning to leave NOVA and are wondering about the weather in PA. Weather.com tells me that Mechanicsburg is 6 degrees cooler than NOVA, but I'd like to hear opinions from people who have lived the difference.

Does the weather feel noticeably different? Are the winters a lot harsher? The summers cooler?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 02:33 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,237,559 times
I currently live in Silver Spring but lived in the Harrisburg area for almost 8 years prior to that.

The climates are pretty similar in the 2 areas. Obviously Harrisburg is a little cooler (probably 3-5 degrees F on average, depending on the storm fronts and whatnot, plus the fact Harrisburg is a little higher in elevation) and is therefore a little more prone to getting snow (or ice) and having that snow hang around a little longer than the Washington area, but really there aren't major differences in the climates of the Washington and Harrisburg areas. Both places are on the eastern side of the Appalachians, so the big storms tend to be the ones that come up the coast rather than those that come from the west in both areas. Harrisburg is a little cooler in the summer, but when it's hot and humid in DC, it is still at least very warm and humid in Harrisburg in most cases (unless one of those Canadian fronts stalls between Harrisburg and Washington or in the DC area, which actually isn't the case very often).

Old 02-14-2009, 09:33 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,945 times
Slightly colder. Just enough to get a 6-12 now storms of a few inches each winter.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:41 PM

17 posts, read 42,947 times
Ugh, don't live on the west shore. People from the west shore, I don't know, they are always just a little bit to "out there" for me. You'll never want to cross the river and come into the city if you live there. Its some weird mindset they have all the way over there (haha). Seriously if you live around here you know what I'm talking about right??

Old 02-15-2009, 07:16 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,237,559 times
The West Shore "I never want to go to the East Shore" (and vice-versa) mentality is mild compared to the northern Virginia "I never want to go to Maryland" (and vice-versa) mentality IMO.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:06 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,783,512 times
Had that when I lived in the Iowa-Illinois Quad Cities too.

Back closer to the subject, I've heard that DC area freaks out quite a bit more experiencing the same snow.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:28 AM

515 posts, read 1,692,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
The West Shore "I never want to go to the East Shore" (and vice-versa) mentality is mild compared to the northern Virginia "I never want to go to Maryland" (and vice-versa) mentality IMO.
That may be true, but having a bad case of said mentality myself, I will say in my own defense that it did not come from nowhere. Rather it grew from years of putting up with absurdly high taxes, liberal politicians, and some of the nuttiest social engineering east of Berkeley.

We took refuge in NOVA after 15 years of Montgomery County. I cant imagine going back.

Thanks to all who responded to my post.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:28 PM

148 posts, read 637,638 times
I think you might like CV school district on the West Shore. It is highly competitive with lots of executive housing in developments which are marketable if you get relocated. I lived in Vienna in Fairfax County and CV school district is sort of like Fairfax County. Camp Hill is also very good but if you are not going to set up roots and not into community activities and becoming friends with neighbors then you will hate it. The people here have been here for generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area