U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-30-2009, 11:24 AM

4 posts, read 12,826 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there are rental properties in or around Mifflintown or Newport? We are grad students. I will be commuting to Hershey and my boyfriend will be commuting to State College. We're looking for somewhere in between to rent, preferably a house or large apartment.

We're going to be moving later this summer and I'm starting to get worried about our prospects of finding something.

We've been looking at Newport and Mifflintown. Anyone got any input on this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 01:30 PM

160 posts, read 403,187 times
I lived just outside of Mifflintown for 10 years (1989 - 2000) and we stayed only as long as my husband could telecommute. For a few months before we moved to the Harrisburg area, he commuted to a new job east of Harrisburg (towards the Hershey area) and that wasn't something we were willing to live with.

If you are students, why not get two smaller apartments, one in Hershey and one in State College, and take turns commuting on weekends. There's nothing to do in Juniata County, unless you are thinking of moving there to be near the Port Royal race track?

One big issue (for me, anyway) was the lack of fast internet connection. A lot of the phone lines are very old, and several of the townships never allowed a cable company in...er, the cable company wouldn't pay the required bribe and who can blame them?

From what I remember reading in the local weekly paper (a folksy fishwrapper with no pretentions of journalism) rentals were pretty cheap, but you get what you pay for.

I really don't know what to say about Mifflintown other than: DON'T DO IT!

Never lived in Perry County, but met some very friendly people in Newport. The town itself has an interest in revitalization, and has some cute shops -- is very walkable, too. Would say crime in Newport is much, much lower than Mifflintown. The state police are right outside the town, so that helps keep the gang and drug activity down.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:28 PM

3,183 posts, read 5,581,933 times
Newport is actually the closest town to the 2000 Census center of population in PA. The Borough (old town center) is a couple of miles from US 22/322 and most of it is not on PA 34 either. Local shopping is pretty basic - a Giant grocery store out by the highway, a Dollar General and a few locally owned shops in town. Water rates in Newport are very high. Housing is pretty cheap. Revitalization is proceeding slowly but fairly surely, one grant paid for streetscape improvements around the square and another will shortly pay for N 4th St going out towards the school. Walmart is probably coming soon and some more stuff out towards the highway. US 322 is notorious for folks falling asleep in the early morning and wrecking. Perry County still has no traffic light but that will surely soon change with more development in the Duncannon area as well as Howe Twp on the highway side of Newport.

Millerstown and Thompsontown also have exits from the highway, between Newport and Mifflintown. I think both have small grocery stores along with a bank/ATM.

The railroad is very busy through all of these but doesn't stop. Amtrak does have one daily train each way that stops at Lewistown Junction which is outside of Lewistown. There actually is a bit of modest rowhomes & rental property at Lewistown Junction and the Borough of Juniata Terrace. Lewistown area has some drug issues.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:06 PM

Out of curiousity, where or who would one contact about rental properties in these areas? I can't find anything online. I'm assuming it would mean driving up there and looking around for 'for rent' signs?

Old 04-01-2009, 06:18 PM

133 posts, read 185,233 times
Liverpool is a nice little town in Perry County, have been a transplant since 1989. Northgate apartments are also here in town, either 2 bedroom or one bedroom. Greenwood School District is also one of your better school districts in Perry County, its about a 40 minute commute to Harrusburg.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxxa View Post
Out of curiousity, where or who would one contact about rental properties in these areas? I can't find anything online. I'm assuming it would mean driving up there and looking around for 'for rent' signs?
Can try here: Perry County Times/News-Sun Classifieds

Several show up on a 20 mile search from 17074.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:44 PM

Does anyone know the availability of high-speed internet in Newport? Is there DSL or cable?

Old 06-19-2009, 07:20 PM

You can check by address in Newport on High Speed Internet - Local Phone Services | Embarq (at least as of right now, Embarq got bought out so the web site's probably changing soon). I put in an address in the Boro that I knew by heart and it claims availability up to 10 Mbps at that location.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,675 times
for rentals inthis area try [url=http://www.repdev.com]Republic Development Corporation: Developing Central Pennsylvania[/url] I rent from them good solid apts in quiet areas with good people not for druggies and the type

Old 10-31-2009, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,280 times
I think Newport is a great area to rent. Close to 11/15 and route 22/322. And you can walk to almost anything you need, banks, post office, library, grocery store, good will, natural health food store & smaller unique stores. One of my friends rented in the Newport area and really liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area