Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 09:16 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,619,452 times

Advertisements

he midstate's new faces
Saturday, May 09, 2009
BY DIANA FISHLOCK
Of The Patriot-News

Dave Reddecliff loves coming home from work and seeing his daughter Hannah, 10, who is white, playing in the front yard with friends who are Indian and friends who are African-American.

Moderator cut: ©2009 Patriot-News

The midstate's new faces - PennLive.com

Last edited by Marka; 05-15-2009 at 01:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 09:39 AM

297 posts, read 505,372 times
Well, I think we all know that, politically, we are now living in New Jersey. We are now a one party, extreme left state. Since so many liberals from nyc and nj are coming here because their own states have been ruined, where will pennsylvanians go? Ohio? The article talks about how awesome all these new transplants and immigrants are, but why aren't they talking about the increases in crime and gang activity in the lehigh valley, the poconos, and scranton? Wait until Harrisburg gets gets a taste of MS-13 in their backyard, and wait until dozens and dozens of kids show up at their high schools and can't even speak basic english, but somehow they are supposed to be educated. Think I'm crazy? Look at Allentown and Reading. It's happening in Lancaster and York too. I don't even recognize PA anymore. Of course, if anyone thinks this is going to end in anything but a positive way then they are just a racist, bigot, warmonger, homophobe, right?

Old 05-09-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post
Well, I think we all know that, politically, we are now living in New Jersey. We are now a one party, extreme left state. Since so many liberals from nyc and nj are coming here because their own states have been ruined, where will pennsylvanians go? Ohio? The article talks about how awesome all these new transplants and immigrants are, but why aren't they talking about the increases in crime and gang activity in the lehigh valley, the poconos, and scranton? Wait until Harrisburg gets gets a taste of MS-13 in their backyard, and wait until dozens and dozens of kids show up at their high schools and can't even speak basic english, but somehow they are supposed to be educated. Think I'm crazy? Look at Allentown and Reading. It's happening in Lancaster and York too. I don't even recognize PA anymore. Of course, if anyone thinks this is going to end in anything but a positive way then they are just a racist, bigot, warmonger, homophobe, right?
This is a good thing. I'm sorry but the "natives" in this area just do not posses the skills needed to fill the changing job market, which is why so many companies have to look elsewhere (other states and internationally) to fill open positions.

So far, the vast majority of migration and immigration to this area has been middle class and legal. The Asian population is just absolutely booming, there is even a growing "Asiantown" in South Harrisburg right now where you drive along and see nothing but Korean, Vietnamese and Chinese shops, stores and restaurants. I think this is a great thing. Again, we haven't seen the huge increase in illegal immigration (yet) so right now things are good.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:09 AM

Here are some of the actual stats:
MIDSTATE
Population:
2000: 1,011,152
2007: 1,065,114
Change: 5%

White
2000: 906,603
2007: 939,780
Change: 4%

Black
2000: 63,460
2007: 71,994
Change: 13%

Asian
2000: 12,914
2007: 17,386
Change: 35%

Hispanic
2000: 30,853
2007: 42,861
Change: 39%

Old 05-09-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
This is a good thing. I'm sorry but the "natives" in this area just do not posses the skills needed to fill the changing job market, which is why so many companies have to look elsewhere (other states and internationally) to fill open positions.

So far, the vast majority of migration and immigration to this area has been middle class and legal. The Asian population is just absolutely booming, there is even a growing "Asiantown" in South Harrisburg right now where you drive along and see nothing but Korean, Vietnamese and Chinese shops, stores and restaurants. I think this is a great thing. Again, we haven't seen the huge increase in illegal immigration (yet) so right now things are good.
How do you know what the illegal immigration situation is? These people sure aren't asked about their status. What great job skills do these people have that the "natives" do not? Are all these hispanics chemical engineers with masters and phds? Are the asians accounts, dentists, and doctors? How do you come to the conclusion that they have skills that the "natives" lacked? If they are the same type of immigrants that have recently come to the Lehigh Valley, NEPA, and Reading, then they are simply low-skilled, minimum wage workers that lost their jobs in NJ and NYC. Some of them maybe worked in construction and are unemployed because of the housing bubble burst. But, to try and pass these people off as highly skilled workers that are badly needed is a bit of a stretch.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
How do you know what the illegal immigration situation is? These people sure aren't asked about their status. What great job skills do these people have that the "natives" do not? Are all these hispanics chemical engineers with masters and phds? Are the asians accounts, dentists, and doctors? How do you come to the conclusion that they have skills that the "natives" lacked? If they are the same type of immigrants that have recently come to the Lehigh Valley, NEPA, and Reading, then they are simply low-skilled, minimum wage workers that lost their jobs in NJ and NYC. Some of them maybe worked in construction and are unemployed because of the housing bubble burst. But, to try and pass these people off as highly skilled workers that are badly needed is a bit of a stretch.
I know because I live here and I work in the high-tech sector. The fact is, the natives around here do not have the kind of skills needed to fill the jobs...hence we are importing a large number of Asians and Indians in this area. The hispanics I can't speak of as much but I do know that there are a lot of stores opening up in neighborhoods in the city. As a matter of fact, across the street a Dominican family moved here recently from New York. The father owns his own small business and travels a lot between New York and other cities and this was a great place to relocate.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:36 AM

160 posts, read 638,910 times
mattjd, I would advise taking anything published in the Patriot with a truckload of salt. Oh, I am sure their writers get the numbers right, and stuff like that. But you have to keep in mind that Central Pennsylvania is still not as diverse as a typical East Coast metro area, and because the area voted more Democratic than not recently does not mean that most people here aren't still very conservative socially.

As someone from the East Coast I have to laugh at this kind of posturing. I mean, I think it's great that people from diverse cultures feel they can make a home here. But this is 2009 fercryinoutloud, not 1969. Or to be generous, not 1979. Better late than never

Old 05-09-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToTheCityMouse View Post
mattjd, I would advise taking anything published in the Patriot with a truckload of salt. Oh, I am sure their writers get the numbers right, and stuff like that. But you have to keep in mind that Central Pennsylvania is still not as diverse as a typical East Coast metro area, and because the area voted more Democratic than not recently does not mean that most people here aren't still very conservative socially.

As someone from the East Coast I have to laugh at this kind of posturing. I mean, I think it's great that people from diverse cultures feel they can make a home here. But this is 2009 fercryinoutloud, not 1969. Or to be generous, not 1979. Better late than never
Well, it's not an issue specific to Harrisburg. As I mentioned, it's a much bigger problem in the Lehigh Valley, Scranton, Poconos, Reading, York, Lancaster, etc. I have no idea about philadelphia, but i'm sure it's there too. Now remember that Democrats now have over a million registered democrats more than republicans...and that just happened in the past year and a half...and the majority of those democrats came from these areas, like philadelphia, lehigh county, scranton, etc. York and Lancaster both voted solidly republican for McCain, but he got 10% less than Bush did in 04. That's a huge difference. similar situation in Lebanon county. So, add up 10% in this county, 10% in that county, etc. and you now have a very liberal state. It doesn't matter if central pa is still conservative because if the numbers in the lehigh valley and philly allow for liberals to take over the state politically, watch out. as i said, we're now another new jersey. watch our taxes go even higher, our gun rights become limited, abortion laws get relaxed, etc. And if you think the government can't make laws without the support of the people, ask yourself how Iowa now has gay marriage. big changes are coming, and they won't be pretty.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:34 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,077 times
Quote:
The same thing is happening in Pittsburgh, though they are calling it "ethnic" instead of "diverse". In the last 5 years there has been a huge increase in the amount of minorities in the Pittsburgh metro area. The locals try to put a positive spin on it by saying how great it is to live in an ethnic city. Crime, drugs, and gangs are on the increase. The downtown area is dirty and full of graffiti. The Democrats are only making it worse by promising financial aid. Companies, schools, and churches are relocating to the suburbs or closing. What is happening to all of the caucasians? In the midwest they call it white flight - caucasians are either moving to the exurbs or out of state.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:55 PM

160 posts, read 638,910 times
I don't think that all non-caucasian new-comers to Pennsylvania should be automatically counted as 'liberals'.

Pennsylvania is still largely rural, in terms of geography, so there is no reason for there to be any kind of ban on gun ownership here. I've posted this before, but it's worth repeating: if you live in an area with no police closer than 30 minutes to an hour away, you have to be self-reliant.

No one is going to forced to have an abortion here, either. I have no idea why increasing diversity would be associated with that

The reason that gay couples can make it legal in a place like Iowa is because, IMO, people in Iowa are intelligent. They have a more efficient sense of community. If someone pays taxes and is a good citizen, some demographic characteristic should not prevent that person from having all the rights of citizenship. It's sad to be constantly reminded how much energy PA residents spend on assigning people to demographic groups and then figuring how people in other groups are not as cool as they think their group is. PA = the middle school cafeteria state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area