Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 10:56 AM

101 posts, read 415,753 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about the acclimation certificate that Hawaiian Air requires.

I asked my vet about getting one and she said she's never been trained on this, is uncomfortable signing one, but will do it if it's required, etc. The vet says this is the way airlines release itself from liability.

I guess she'll give one if I ask, but she is reluctant to do so. Come on vet! She says she has experience shipping pets to Hawaii from the mainland. Hmm. I guess I'll have to double check again with her and tell her its required with Hawaiian Air. Ho da humbug!

Hawaiian Airlines states it requires one, but my vet is reluctant to give one. Has anyone had trouble getting this from their vet? It seems like it's a big deal for my vet. I'd appreciate any advice and tips.

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 12:19 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times
Cool Shouldn't be an issue

Aloha,
This shouldn't be an issue for your Vet, at all. It's simply a form that advises of the highest / lowest temperature your pet can safely fly. The Vet fills it out and there you go. It's actually a 'waiver' of sorts for the Vet in as much as they are documenting the safe flying conditions of your pet. If the pet owner chooses to attempt to fly the animal in higher or lower temperatures, well, it's off the Vets shoulders. Your Vet should know this and be happy to sign off on it. Now, if you are wanting to ship your pet in unsafe conditions, and your Vet is aware of this, then I can see their reluctance to let the animal out of the State.
Koale

Old 06-20-2010, 03:05 PM

Thanks, Koale!

I think I mis-read the fine print yet again. For Hawaiian is states that if the temperature is below 45, then an acclimation certificate would be required.

I think we'll call Hawaiian 30 days before the cats can depart, and see if we can get them on the flight. If it doesn't work, we'll go Continental.

It won't be below 45 degrees in Hawaii in September so I won't need the acclimation certificate. If only I read the fine print! haha. Nah, I think I just read too much into things.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:02 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times
Thumbs up Easy...

Oh, IslandGirlComingHome....
It's pretty confusing to say the least. After my two dogs were safely on the Big Island it was like...'what was all that fuss about'. All they wanted to do was pee and have a cookie. I wanted a little white pill...lolol...
Welcome Home Kamaaina!!!
Koale

Old 06-20-2010, 10:54 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Airlines will want a AC if the temp is above or below USDA regs anywhere along the trip including stops. They may also require one even if in temp range if they have breed restrictions. Call the airline and ask the specifics based on your travel.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:18 AM

Thanks, Koale -- hey, I like my new name! You're too funny! I hope things go just as smoothly as your dogs' experience.

PacificFlights, thanks for the advice. I hope I asked all the right questions. I'm going to be in Hawaii to receive the cats, but I'm doing what I can before I leave. So much to do and ask. This site really helps, too. I think I've pretty much called all the airlines. I've got a file folder of notes and so far, Continental and Hawaiian top the rest.

We've got the cats booked on Continental and if we can get them on Hawaiian (I'll call 30 days before), we'll do that. It's a direct flight and the less time in transit for my feline friends. If not, Continental it is.

Continental does not require an AC and according to them, there are no temperature restrictions. They limit outside exposure and will keep the cats cool. I like that you can track their flight status online with Continental. That's kind of cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii