U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:46 AM

820 posts, read 1,673,521 times
Default Does anyone use TIVO here in Hawaii?

I'd love to have Tivo, because it seems to offer more programming features and also it would allow me to stream Netflix to the TV.

Tivo Customer Service chat says no problems with service in Hawaii.

Anybody on this forum using Tivo here in Hawaii, especially on Maui? Anything we should know before we make a decision?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 10:57 AM

1,707 posts, read 3,814,949 times
I don't have TIVO but do stream NetFlix through my BlueRay player. It works well and it seems like the selection of movies and TV shows continues to expand (plenty to watch).

Old 06-15-2010, 09:27 PM

683 posts, read 1,665,226 times
I use my TiVo on Oahu. No problems.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:02 PM

Thank you both!

Old 06-17-2010, 03:08 PM

40 posts, read 47,379 times
Be careful with TIVO...once you have it, you can never live without it!

Old 06-17-2010, 03:47 PM

Ha! That's how we feel now about our DVR from the cable company. But we'd like the larger storage and better programming capability of Tivo. We hear you can set a program to record via the internet, which would be handy when you are away but remember that something is coming on.

We have yet to build the spreadsheet to compare how much it will cost over time...the cable company will of course still charge us for the digital service, just not the rental of the DVR box. We'll have to buy the box from Tivo and pay a monthly charge there.

I'd like to stream the Netflix Watch Instantly content to the TV, instead of just watching it on our Mac. I guess a Wii would allow that too, but we don't have one of those.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:14 PM

1,670 posts, read 3,322,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
I'd like to stream the Netflix Watch Instantly content to the TV, instead of just watching it on our Mac. I guess a Wii would allow that too, but we don't have one of those.
My latest setup works a little bit better than TIVO. It consists of the latest Mac mini, Elgato's EyeTV HD, and Elgato's EyeTV app for my iPhone and iPad.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:29 AM

683 posts, read 1,665,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Ha! That's how we feel now about our DVR from the cable company. But we'd like the larger storage and better programming capability of Tivo. We hear you can set a program to record via the internet, which would be handy when you are away but remember that something is coming on.

We have yet to build the spreadsheet to compare how much it will cost over time...the cable company will of course still charge us for the digital service, just not the rental of the DVR box. We'll have to buy the box from Tivo and pay a monthly charge there.

I had a TiVo for years. It started overheating and being unreliable shortly after our move to Oahu, so we got the cable company DVR. I could not stand it. The interface to enter information is far superior on TiVo. Plus, you can "season pass" a show, and it'll get every episode, even if the show's time changes. (And you can do things like automatically add a few extra minutes before & after, for shows that might run long.) And, yes, you can add stuff via the internet. TiVo is just sooooo much better. We returned the cable company DVR, and when we told them it was because we were buying a new TiVo, they were not at all surprised.

We got the Series 3 TiVo (which is not the newest one now), and we love it. We don't pay for cable at all (included in our condo fees)... we don't get the digital service, but lots of the HD channels still come in if you know where to look for them. (The downside is that if we record HD, we can't do it by the name of the show... we may upgrade to the HD service later, but they gave us a big runaround to get the cable card a while back, so we just said, "fine! don't take any of our money then!" and I'm having a hard time calling them back.)

Old 06-19-2010, 11:29 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,865,445 times
If you have a computer with and HDMI port you can buy cable to hook the TV (I'm thinking everyone has HDTV by now) and computer. And even most of the older computer models that don't have an HDMI port have a port that can connect to the TV and then anything that's on the computer screen comes on to the TV.

I have a HDMI port and hook up to the TV all the time to watch movies from Netfex which is a real good deal. I do the plan where you can stream all the stuff in and get 2 DVD's at a time thru the mail (the movies that aren't streamed yet). Cost is $14 a month. And when your done watching your mail-in DVD's you mail em back (they provide a paid envelope) and get 2 more of your choice back as often as you want.

Other plans offer more or less mail-in DVD's.

So check out you ports on your computer. I bet one of them is cable compatible to hook to the TV as this technology has been around for decades. A cable is cheap and can come in any lengths.

Netflex picture quality is crisp and clear.

Connect Laptop to TV, Internet on TV, Connect TV to PC, PC to HDTV, How to Connect PC to TV

Check it out checker outers.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:46 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,865,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
My latest setup works a little bit better than TIVO. It consists of the latest Mac mini, Elgato's EyeTV HD, and Elgato's EyeTV app for my iPhone and iPad.
I just got a Droid and downloaded Jetflicks which is similar to your app to the smartphone. Your setup is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii