Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 08:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,994 times

Advertisements

How is the job market for auditors in Hawaii (BI, Oahu)? This would apply for both the private and public sectors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 10:07 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,004,373 times
I don't think I've ever met an auditor. What do they do? Are they sort of an overseeing accountant sort of person? Would someone hire them full time or are they a position which is hired for the audit and then let go again? I don't remember ever seeing a newspaper want ad for an auditor, but then I've never looked either. What sort of companies would hire one?

Old 06-26-2010, 11:32 AM

3 posts, read 3,994 times
Auditors review financial records to ensure that all information submitted is correct. They evaluate and analyze that information to make a determination whether or not an error was made. If errors were found, an assessment is made to pay back the errors found.

They can audit businesses (large and small), individuals and so forth, like the IRS auditors who audit corporate/individual tax returns. Auditors normally are hired permanently by state or private corporations. I'm sure the state of Hawaii has state auditors. If you have sales tax, medical tax, corporate/individual tax, etc., someone must be keeping tabs to make sure that those businesses/individuals are remitting those dollars to the state.

I suppose that you not seeing any job postings for auditors can only mean that those positions don't have high turnover and are secured long term by the individuals who are presently employed?

Old 06-26-2010, 08:44 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,004,373 times
I'd suspect then, that most of the auditing jobs would be on a State or Federal level and many of those types of jobs are posted separately from the ones listed in the newspapers, I think. It is also possible that much of the auditing paperwork is sent to Oahu and processed there if it is the sort of thing that is transportable that way. Many of the outer islands are pretty rural and without a lot of large businesses. The large hotels and such usually have corporate offices somewhere else which would process that sort of thing, I'd think. Same with the retail chain stores, wouldn't they? Would Macy's or Wallymart hire a local auditor?

The Big Island is pretty much a rural island. We have a lot of small businesses who aren't likely to need auditors since they'd be doing their own paperwork. I don't know if many of them have enough work to keep an auditor hired. Maybe a local hardware store chain, HPM, or our local grocery stores, KTA would hire one, you could call them and ask.

Oahu probably has more need of auditors since they have more and bigger businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii