Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 02:47 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMMKAT View Post
My understanding was that locality + COLA for GS employees is 25% of your base. Locality may currently only be 17% but the remainder of the 25% is covered by COLA. These are shifting and eventually it will be all locality, but still 25%.
Ok I see. So the locality eventually becomes 25%. Still seems a little low for the Islands considering its taxed. Oh well...can't expect much from a broke country :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 06:48 PM

41 posts, read 113,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subba View Post
Yes, I agree HR fed govt people are having difficulty even figuring out exactly what you will get paid, and do not have a good sense of what is happening. COLA is being phased out over the next 3 years. This is legislation that Sen. Akaka proposed, and the long-term benefit is excellent, and after speaking with 2 friends who are feds in Hawaii, they both tell me that it comes out about the same in terms of monthly paycheck. Agree with soflobound that is it definitely NOT a factor in deciding whether to take the job. Disagree with soflobound re: whether it will or won't happen next year. My understanding is that it is a done deal, changes are already being implemented, and the phase out will absolutely happen. My source of information is a GS-15 attorney who lives/works in Hawaii. See for more info Federal Executive Board :: Honolulu Pacific - COLA/Locality Pay Information (http://www.honolulu-pacific.feb.gov/cola/ - broken link)
Well I'm not going to go out on a limb and say it's NOT going to happen. But the link you provided indicates its only a bill. Last year my wife had HR meetings explaining the whole thing like it's a done deal and then it didn't happen because it never went beyond being a bill. Probably will this time, but who knows when we're talking about Congress.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 5,244 times
This link discusses what will happen to COLA after the 3-year transition. It estimates locality pay rate will need to be 38% to offset elimination of COLA but doesn't give a timeline on how long that will take. http://www.opm.gov/oca/Cola/FAQsCOLAtoLocality.pdf

This link is a decent brief on what will happen during the next 3-years http://www.opm.gov/oca/Cola/COLAtoLocality.pdf

Old 08-01-2010, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 5,244 times
The bill was passed into law in Oct 09. Also remember, COLA is not taxable at the federal level, but it is taxed at the state level in Hawaii

Old 08-15-2010, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,561 times
My understanding is that it looks like locality pay only gives you about 3k anually, but cola would give you 15k anually, what did I look at wrong, it seems like a lot of people wouldn't just sit by while they cut your pay by 12k annually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: