Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:43 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
For someone that lives in Hawaii you seem oblivious to the critical state of Hawaii's social services and budget versus residents in need. Take a drive up the Waianae coast and see all the homeless living on the beach and then talk to me about bringing in new people from the mainland.
Living 10 minutes from Waianae, I see plenty crackheads and losers. What I don't see is a lot of disabled people or folks from the mainland. And I guess we all know mainland is code for White.

I usually don't bother with internet arguments, but I do take exception to many of the posts implying all the homeless are people from the mainland.

I sincerely doubt that most homeless people from the mainland have the wherewithal to gather their travel documents, save a couple thousand dollars, book a flight, get themselves to a large regional airport, then fly themselves to Hawaii.

Not to mention, who, except a local, has ever even heard of Waianae?

Old 07-09-2010, 12:50 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
Are we reading the same posts?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:29 AM

129 posts, read 535,528 times
And honestly, there really haven't been that many people asking about the dole or other benefits...This is the first thread I can remember that directly addresses it, and so far no one has been asking how much they can get...

That said, there is a lot people can do (hello, victory gardens!) to take the edge off of poverty. Especially when you aren't working (provided you aren't disabled).

Old 07-09-2010, 10:54 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Yep, I am quite familiar with all kinds of words. I am also a combat disabled (multiple) veteran who has run small businesses, with up to a dozen employees, raised 4 children of my own, and a few children of other peoples, and who has administered aid and nursed and held both strangers and loved ones who have died in my arms. I believe I do know about honor and integrity.
Appreciate your service and sacrifices for the country. I cannot compare to this in life experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
And I have learned along that path that some are more fortunate than others -- and that "deserve" has nothing to do with it.
I will agree that some are more fortunate than others, but to say that deserve has nothing to do with it is past where I am willing to go. We make choices, we hedge our bets, try to put ourselves in the best position possible. It doesn't always work out, there is some fortune/luck involved... but that doesn't mean that the choices don't matter as well. To say that deserve has NOTHING to do with it says that we are all wasting our lives doing anything because it makes no difference.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:19 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Are you familiar with the words Honor and Integrity?

Even if "Big People" aren't, there isn't any reason why "Small People" shouldn't be.
Did you see the NY Times article that says a majority of the defaulters on mortgages are the rich?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:40 PM

22 posts, read 95,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Did you see the NY Times article that says a majority of the defaulters on mortgages are the rich?
Yes - just saw this article which is sad.

Things are just bad all over - talks about a double dip recession and/or depression are unfortunately true if we just look around our own neighborhoods, etc. - wherever you are. Loads of homeless in SF, lots of families losing their homes nearby and numerous people underemployed or unemployed. These are trying times....

Old 07-09-2010, 02:01 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Struggling does not mean that you give up your integrity. If anything, that is the time to increase it.

Balad1 - I can't rep... Must "spread around". LOL

Old 07-09-2010, 07:48 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
Thanks, I appreciate it.

After 30 years in the Army, honor and integrity are important to me. I am not perfect but do try and live by the code.

I am all for helping people out, I just get upset when able bodied adults game the disability/welfare/social services systems and think it's acceptable conduct.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:10 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
Because this topic crosses into political controversies and because I had to delete posts for personal attacks, we'll put it to bed.
Thanks,
7th
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii